What's new

Floor Jacks

I've got two of the grey Pittsburg 3 tons from HF that I don't see on the website any more and they work great, All I've lifted is a 3/4 ton chevy, But they haven't failed me over a bunch of years.

I want to say HF prices were quite a bit lower during grey jacks days before they started selling them under the Dayton name in pretty colors.

I have a couple of these from costco. Fairly lightweight for a 3 ton and zero issues. One lives in the offroad truck 24/7 and I've never had a problem with it working in the middle of winter unlike some of the lightweight 1.5 ton aluminum jacks I kept in there in the past.

I bought that one years ago for $99 based on pbb recommendations. I really liked it, wasn't super heavy, but felt more durable than a full aluminum. I lost it in a fire and I haven't seen them in Costco since.

I bought that one years ago for $99 based on pbb recommendations. I really liked it, wasn't super heavy, but felt more durable than a full aluminum. I lost it in a fire and I haven't seen them in Costco since.
I got both of mine at least 7 years ago, so I'm not totally sure if they still carry them in store or if it's a special order only thing now. Haven't been to costco in 5 years or so. I agree, having the steel center made them feel way more sturdy lifting stuff like my diesel or small equipment.

I cut the rear ears off one and formed an aluminum skid for the toyotas, it's saved my ass more than once.

I got both of mine at least 7 years ago, so I'm not totally sure if they still carry them in store or if it's a special order only thing now. Haven't been to costco in 5 years or so. I agree, having the steel center made them feel way more sturdy lifting stuff like my diesel or small equipment.

I cut the rear ears off one and formed an aluminum skid for the toyotas, it's saved my ass more than once.

Damn it, now I want to get one of these as well. It was nice to have in the tool box or back of the truck on long trips. Too bad they're almost double the price...

I want to say HF prices were quite a bit lower during grey jacks days before they started selling them under the Dayton name in pretty colors.
they still have pittsburg jacks, they were on sale for 99$ a couple weeks ago, theyre red instead of grey though

Any other suggestions a couple years later? My floor jack is no longer holding a load, its rather flimsy and needs rear wheels so it feel its not worth working on.

Been watching the Costco Arcan, $239 hasn't gone on sale. Home D has a similar Arcan for $289.

Both of these are kinda pricey compared to other options, but I would rather pay a little more if it will last. Shedding some pounds is also appreciated.

I have the $289 HF one. It’s awesome. The only thing I don’t like is when the Jack is i can or push the handle to the floor then push it under the car. The first time you push the handle down it lifts the arm up so trying to squeeze it into a tigh space isn’t happening.

It rolls amazing. If I could have played with it first I might not have bought it or I might not have thought of this situation. I bought it for life height and capacity. I didn’t want the long reach.

Still need to get one of these soon. If I could only have one I'd choose this, although admittedly it's not so good for cars.

I have the $289 HF one. It’s awesome. The only thing I don’t like is when the Jack is i can or push the handle to the floor then push it under the car. The first time you push the handle down it lifts the arm up so trying to squeeze it into a tigh space isn’t happening.

It rolls amazing. If I could have played with it first I might not have bought it or I might not have thought of this situation. I bought it for life height and capacity. I didn’t want the long reach.
I have the same one. It’s awesome. I just unlock the handle and push it under the car then lock it and lift. Force of habit by now

I have the same one. It’s awesome. I just unlock the handle and push it under the car then lock it and lift. Force of habit by now
I must be doing something wrong then because when I push it under the car the pad raises.

I must be doing something wrong then because when I push it under the car the pad raises.
Turn the handle counter clockwise like you’re lowering the jack. Lower the handle to your desired height and place the jack. Turn the handle clockwise till it stops and lift the car up.

Best value is that HF low profile 3 ton jack, that sale ad has it for 109.

Turn the handle counter clockwise like you’re lowering the jack. Lower the handle to your desired height and place the jack. Turn the handle clockwise till it stops and lift the car up.
Fully open. If I push the handle all the way down the Jack lifts 12 1/4”. My old Jack would stay flat and while it didn’t have the same reach, I could push it under a car with it all the way down then tighten close it and start lifting.

I don’t know if their other models do this. I’m still happy with it. I just might not have been so excited to buy it if I knew it did this. I might have shopped around more. It does rip extremely nice.

Attachments

• IMG_9864.jpeg
    IMG_9864.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9865.jpeg
    IMG_9865.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Fully open. If I push the handle all the way down the Jack lifts 12 1/4”. My old Jack would stay flat and while it didn’t have the same reach, I could push it under a car with it all the way down then tighten close it and start lifting.

I don’t know if their other models do this. I’m still happy with it. I just might not have been so excited to buy it if I knew it did this. I might have shopped around more. It does rip extremely nice.
Pretty sure mine doesn’t do that. I’ll have to check tomorrow

can't just step on it to lower it back down? if its fully open, how is there pressure to lift? I R confused

Still need to get one of these soon. If I could only have one I'd choose this, although admittedly it's not so good for cars.
I picked one up a month ago. I'll admit, it's very well built. Used it a handful of times already. The only thing I don't like compared to my other jacks is you don't have the back swivels to position easy. It just rolls straight in. Other than that it's awesome.

Your jack is broke 😂

Last edited:
Hmmm....maybe I have something still attached causing this? Do they come with manuals for guys like me?

The only thing I don't like compared to my other jacks is you don't have the back swivels to position easy. It just rolls straight in.
That's the thing I was wondering about - how much that would be an issue for me. I use my jack to maneuver things around in the shop. I can see using the Badland jack out in the driveway or actually off-road, but it isn't likely that it would replace my "in shop" jack.

That's the thing I was wondering about - how much that would be an issue for me. I use my jack to maneuver things around in the shop. I can see using the Badland jack out in the driveway or actually off-road, but it isn't likely that it would replace my "in shop" jack.
Definitely. I don't think it will replace your normal floor jacks, but instead supplement them. I've used it a few times and I've been please with it, especially the height adapter on the taller rigs.

I have made a height riser adapter for one of my other floor jacks but it's just not as nice and sturdy as the badlands setup.

I have had a 3.5 ton Arcan low profile jack from Northern Tool for 10+ years that I have been super happy with. Looks similar to the HF yellow one, but has an extra 0.5 ton capacity. It's a few $ cheaper than the HF one:

Also have one of the gray HF 3 ton jacks that works okay, but has had a slow leak down since day 1.

Picked up one of the 3.5ton Arcans today.

I'm still using my HF Central Hydraulic 3 ton from ~20 years ago when all of their tools were orange. That orange lead paint is holding up still. It's a heavy sucker, but has never given me any trouble, and will lift the front of my W250 12V with ease.

The upper half of its 2 piece handle has been my go-to cheater pipe for breaker bars and wrenches pretty much since I got it. I've threaded and unthreaded its retaining bolt so many times, there's barely any threads left to hold it in place.

Top Back Refresh