What's new

Floor coating

Rugby

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I am on the fence of putting epoxy floor coating in my new 30x40 shop.

People that have done it do you regret it?

I am worried about it looking like garbage in a few years.

It’s a surface that will require maintenance depending on how much you use it.... I’ve seen surfaces wear out in a year or 2 if your pulling a car in and out on the daily!!!!

Why do you want it surfaced???

If you are going to use the shop for a shop, would you seal the floor with anything, or just leave it alone?

Every shop I've seen with that grey coating is always chipping off.

I wouldn't use that:laughing:

I'd be more inclined to find some sort of sealer.

Waste of money if you're going to use the shop for anything other than storage.
This. Is it a shop or is it a garage?

Welding, grinding, and such is going to leave burn marks all over it. If you get a stone stuck under a tire it's going to gouge it - as will dropping a piece of angle iron.

Use a dry-shake quartz topping when you pour the slab: Quartz Tuff™ | Chemicals

If the epoxy route is bad what about some type of sealer? I like the thought of epoxy so you can just wipe up oil ect.

Not sure what kind of shitty epoxy others are using but Ive never had problems with epoxy coming up.

Burn marks from large welding globs, regular welding sparks have been fine- yes,
Dropping large shit that chipped a chunk out of the concrete - yes

Prep, Prep and more prep makes a huge difference. New concrete needs to wait at least 30 days and old concrete I clean multiple times with purple power and pressure washer. Concrete grinder is preferred but acid etch has also worked. Ive dragged a 10k mill across a epoxy floor with just scratch marks which any floor would have.

Fuck the one part in home repair stores or the cheaper kits.

Ive used this kit twice now at different shops and at a buddies machine shop. 4 plus years of abuse at 2 of the shops and 2 years on the latest one.

Found this stuff that has great reviews for sealing the floors. Might go this route. My main concern is not staining it with oil.

I've seen a few shops with burnished concrete and a sealer applied. It's not an epoxy coating, but a sealant that soaks into the burinshed concrete surface. Seems to be the best option for a working shop.

If you are going to use the shop for a shop, would you seal the floor with anything, or just leave it alone?
I sealed sealed mine.
I don't remember what the brand name was. It dries clear It has held up for years. I knock oil over all the time, nothing to date has a stain in it. What does spill wipes up

Added a bay a year or so ago and was going to use the same brand, concrete guy swore by this other stuff, it peeled right uip as soon as I got all of my equipment in there and started working

I've used Rustoleum (commercial, not the box store stuff) in the last 2 houses and have been happy with the results. I beat the crap out of my floors with cutting, grinding, welding, center stand scratching, and it's been solid since the install. Nice to be able to spot clean easy to see oil and grease marks before they get tracked in the house or roll the crap out and mop once a month. A clean shop is a nice place to work.

Like most have said, prep is key. First house was oil stained and i just used some cleaner with a stiff broom, pressure washed and acid etched. Turned out fine. Second house I rented a concrete sander in addition to the prep above since a previous owner used yellow latex paint on the floor. If you live in a wet area or ride a bike, broadcast some sand on the wet epoxy since it gets stupid slick when wet. I used what ever media was in the blast cabinet at the time.

I did the Behr in my old garage 15 years ago, and it's been great. Burn marks from plasma here and there, but it's held up well.

I just did ArmorPoxy in the New shop. A lot more money, and it's only been a few months..

Not sure what kind of shitty epoxy others are using but Ive never had problems with epoxy coming up.

Burn marks from large welding globs, regular welding sparks have been fine- yes,
Dropping large shit that chipped a chunk out of the concrete - yes
[/URL]
The only place my epoxy lifted was at the one door where the slab got moisture from outside and the epoxy popped off. Otherwise, it has held. Still looks like shit from the burns, gouges, and other abuse I've heaped on it over the years.

Top Back Refresh