What's new

Flatdeck fuel filler set up

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
I built this deck for my 01 f350. It's not a C&C truck, so the tank is up behind the cab.

20210801_194202.jpg

Now, my options are;

1- cut the strap rail, and fab up a little plate to mount the filler neck to, which is probably easiest all around. Question is, will the filler neck have enough fall to the tank to consistently fill,or will it end up being a pain in the ass?

2- cut the actual side rail, and set the filler neck back into the rail. This will have a little more fall than option #1, still not sure if it's enough. I would put a hole through the outside wall of the main side rail, weld a piece of pipe inside to keep crap from getting into it, and poke the filler neck out the back side on a bit of an angle.

3- poke it up through the deck up against the front wall. This will definitely provide enough fall, but takes away some of the deck. Could be a real bitch to fill if I have the tall sides on for firewood/travel/etc...or if I put a slide on camper on it. I'd probably bring it up to the height of the square, solid wall below the headache rack portion.

Any thoughts or insite?

All the 97 and older flad beds I've been around with them inset in the side rail are a nightmare, like, carry a 4x4 with you to pull onto and still have to nurse it in there at 1/1064th of handle. Looks like you have maybe a hair more fall.

I'd mount it flush into the headache rack

"Flat deck," damn Canadians...
That's a pretty good looking flatbed, well done.
I have had a few and my favorite was a Neckover brand. The filler was under a flip up piece on the deck itself. Never had a problem filling.
CM beds, having their filler through the side rail was a problem. It was too shallow and would back up.
$0.02

From what I have read the trick is that you need to have the lines always flow downhill and the first part by the nozzle needs to slope up as sharply as you can.
That way it gets some speed going to get it past the vent and it never gets "trapped" by having to go uphill.

Aaron Z

Have had afew flatbeds. I would route the filler up to the head board. Put it at the upper corner of the solid piece on the outside of bed.

Reactions: PAE
I already have the C&C filler neck. I'll see what I can do for a bracket and get it mounted up front this week I guess. I've gotta put some fuel in it today though...probably gonna be a nightmare.

I already have the C&C filler neck. I'll see what I can do for a bracket and get it mounted up front this week I guess. I've gotta put some fuel in it today though...probably gonna be a nightmare.
If you don't have a deck on it yet, just lift it up above where the deck will go and fill it. Should flow just fine.

Aaron Z

I have no idea what the strap underneath is for. I wouldve ran pockets and rub rail like a trailer.

So cut strap off and mount filler neck right below. It's a diesel, run the vent up the headboard and dont worry about it.

My flat bed has the fill in the side of the bed just below the deck surface, recessed a bit. Have to hold the dispenser nozzle up to get it to fill right, but other than that no issues.

Best pic I have at the moment. You can see the caps on the rail of the bed.

IMG_20190514_160853.jpg

2BDF9C23-24AC-41A6-9E51-04DA5103B230.jpeg
This is how my 2nd gen Dodge is, when we built the bed 15 years or so ago we used the stick filler tube from the truck bed, after the bend it’s flat level going into the rubber hose. I didn’t think it would work at first but have never had a problem filling up.

2BDF9C23-24AC-41A6-9E51-04DA5103B230.jpeg
This is how my 2nd gen Dodge is, when we built the bed 15 years or so ago we used the stick filler tube from the truck bed, after the bend it’s flat level going into the rubber hose. I didn’t think it would work at first but have never had a problem filling up.

I don't have enough height between the bottom of the deck and the top of the tank for that to work, unfortunately. I put 30litres into it today, worked fine at full tilt, but when volume slows down it starts to dribble back out.

<looks at all the greenery you guys have around you>

<kicks rock>

I think you should route it to inside of the cab.

:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh