What's new

Flat tires, what would IBB do?

JR4X

wheeler
race
Member Number
Loc
Farmington NM
Got a 1995 diesel Gator that needs 6 tires. I don’t want to buy 6 dam tires for this thing but these are the original ones that came on it. They aren’t worn out but they are severely cracked from age as one would expect. Normally I wouldn’t cheap out on tires but this thing is just a powered wheel barrow. Has a max speed of 22 mph empty and down hill, probably hasn’t been over 10 mph much in its 26 years.

They have full tread or nearly full tread. I’m thinking about putting inner tubes in these to get more years out of them. 3 of 6 tires are to the point they only hold air for hours, not even over night. I need the cheapest solution IBB can come up with for a wheel barrow. It already has tire slime in every tire but it never worked because the cracks are in the side wall.
63E23FE3-7C4B-456B-BDD9-D484F3293096.jpeg
35E9AA72-56A1-4462-B3C4-1EE485033F7A.jpeg
D7D27FD3-ACA7-4060-A33C-624D8C4E0270.jpeg
6672C793-7CD7-4276-A0F2-48E8CA48BAA3.jpeg

Foam fill?
Tubes?
bacon?
Foam sounds appealing. Is there a anyway a redneck can get it wrong? I forgot about foam fill option. I used to rent a telehandler that had foam filled tires.

Came here to suggest foam filling. I see everyone is on the same page already.

I think there are a couple youtube videos on how to DIY.

Call your local SxS dealer and ask what they do with new takeoff wheels and tires. May be able to get a screaming deal on brand new tires.

Call your local SxS dealer and ask what they do with new takeoff wheels and tires. May be able to get a screaming deal on brand new tires.
i dont think they will have anything in a 9" diameter that is anywhere as wide as those, if he had 12" wheels then your idea could work

See if your local Les Schawb does foam, mine did a riding mower tire for $10 last year (so like $50 with Bidens inflation )

I put an innertube in the front tire of my 87 warrior that had a sidewall hole that wouldn't hold air long even with a patch. It's been fine for several years with the tube. Tractor supply has a lot of sizes of tubes in stock.

My rental yard used to do your tires for a fee...
expanding insulation gets ridgid and over time breaks down.

Isn't the foam heavy as fuck and will make the tire rock hard, which will eliminate the only suspension he has?

My buddy used to swear by old paint in low pressure tires like that. They did it in their dump bed golf cart, so almost exactly the same thing.

Throw a bunch in each tire and do slow laps for a while so the whole tire is coated.

Isn't the foam heavy as fuck and will make the tire rock hard, which will eliminate the only suspension he has?

My buddy used to swear by old paint in low pressure tires like that. They did it in their dump bed golf cart, so almost exactly the same thing.

Throw a bunch in each tire and do slow laps for a while so the whole tire is coated.
That’s a good point. The tires do soften the blow.

Honesty those gators are such garbage I’d just scrap it and I wish I wasn’t serious but I am
I don’t disagree with you. And that’s why I don’t want to spend a bunch of money on tires for it. It starts and runs and as long as it does I want to be able to use it. It’d be my luck that I spend $600 on tires for it and something will break or wear out that I can’t get anymore. Then the tires will hold it up in the junk pile after it’s sat around on junk tires all these years

Last edited:
Shoe goo all the big cracks and put slime in. I had to do that to some irocks that looked like that back in the day and they lasted.

I don’t disagree with you. And that’s why I don’t want to spend a bunch of money on tires for it. It starts and runs and as long as it does I want to be able to use it. It’d be my luck that I spend $600 on tires for it and something will break or wear out that I can’t get anymore. Then the tires will hold it up in the junk pile after it’s sat around on junk tires all these years
They sell some incredibly cheap atv tires on Amazon and eBay

I bought some Berryman Tire seal-r on clearance at tractor supply. I think the hose was missing and the sticker was messed up. It was $8 and I said fuck it, I’ve got some flat tires. Stuff is awesome, better than slime. If you read some reviews people seem to love it. I had lawn mower tires like yours. The stuff oozed out the sidewall cracks and the tire was rock solid weeks later.
D6841845-6AE5-473D-AE47-1CDEC843327B.jpeg

I just ordered 4 inner tubes off Amazon for $100 bucks. ($25 each). Decided I can try tubes first then if that fails me as a last resort I’ll fill them with foam later. Probably best not to go nuclear option right off the bat.

Well, 6 tubes is a fair way to to new tires :homer:

The problem with the tubes is that you have to break the tires at least most of the way off the wheel to install. Better hope that they actually come off without fucking the tires up.

Well, 6 tubes is a fair way to to new tires :homer:

The problem with the tubes is that you have to break the tires at least most of the way off the wheel to install. Better hope that they actually come off without fucking the tires up.
4 tubes were $100 shipped. Cheapest I can find a tire is $88 each shipped. Your right though, the tires might come off the wheels in pieces. In which case I’ll have to buy a few tires. I’ll find out when I get home from my honeymoon

Edit. 2 out of 6 tires hold air (for now). I don’t know that I’d pay $400 - $600 for this thing. Which is silly because I’d like to replace it with a ranger, defender, mule, prowler Etc for $4,000 ~ $5,000.

4 tubes were $100 shipped. Cheapest I can find a tire is $88 each shipped. Your right though, the tires might come off the wheels in pieces. In which case I’ll have to buy a few tires. I’ll find out when I get home from my honeymoon

Edit. 2 out of 6 tires hold air (for now). I don’t know that I’d pay $400 - $600 for this thing. Which is silly because I’d like to replace it with a ranger, defender, mule, prowler Etc for $4,000 ~ $5,000.
wouldn't a Tracker be a cheaper option and do the same thing?

Honesty those gators are such garbage I’d just scrap it and I wish I wasn’t serious but I am
Our has been the best grounds vehicle we have had so far. :confused: Have a newer Ranger and the old gator is still better. I dunno. Granted that not a huge range of comparisons.

Our has been the best grounds vehicle we have had so far. :confused: Have a newer Ranger and the old gator is still better. I dunno. Granted that not a huge range of comparisons.
I’ve got enough open area to run that not having any suspension is a problem. I mean I enjoy bouncing my wife’s boobs off the charts but she’s not a fan. Anything with a bed and some suspension would do us better.

They litter every scrap yard around lol I’ve hardly been to a farm that didn’t have one rotting away with a dozen major issues …. They’re just turds compared to anything in today’s utility side by side world one of JDs worst designs .

They litter every scrap yard around lol I’ve hardly been to a farm that didn’t have one rotting away with a dozen major issues …. They’re just turds compared to anything in today’s utility side by side world one of JDs worst designs .
Yup. Brother was happy that he got one for free. It was free for a reason. Saw it sitting in the weeds this past weekend.

I worked one acquired free from the scrap yard also lol the frame had split in half due to too much weight … reinforced it and welded it all together …. That part held up great it was everything Else that fell apart .

Top Back Refresh