What's new

FJ62 Adventuremobile

Trying to make some hay while the sun isn’t shining tonight.

The big boy battery cables and grounds are now done. 2ga everywhere except the run over to the alternator and electrical distribution bay.

image.jpg

There’s not really much to show other than this since wires pretty much look like wires. Left to right you have a fuse panel that will leave room for accessories. Currently has the fuel pump relay and switched power bus relay wired in

Next is the ECM mounted on some Amazon brackets

Then the bus bar that is powered by the adjacent relay. This bus is a location to tap clean switched power for anything that I ever need in the future.

Finally the switched power relay and the PSI fuse panel. I’m not jazzed by the size of the PSI stuff or the fact that they don’t leave enough distance between the ECM and fuse panel for me to get the fuses inside the truck like I had planned, but that’s not really a major deal.

Damn!!! Little more time and money and that thing will have a bike rack hanging off the back.

Looks good.

I really need to update this thread. I’m about a month into daily driving. Everything works except low range and the fuel and coolant temp gauges, common 62 issue. I had some bad death wobble but a different used steering box and some toe adjustment mostly fixed it.

I put it in low range loading onto the trailer for the muffler shop and had an issue with the shifter that wouldn’t allow it to shift back into high. I need to do some exploratory work to figure out the fix, but I’m ironing out some other projects before I take it back out of service.

I’ll try to get some detailed pics of some of the stuff up tomorrow

Final items on the list are a trans skid, rear bumper and some quarter panel armor. No rush on any of that currently.

50475D57-288C-407D-B203-D4B4336089E0.jpeg

63A1BA07-9FF1-4C26-8119-048856D10276.jpeg

0D535CB5-D404-41D9-9780-9DAF0C88962C.jpeg

48FE5171-89E1-45E9-B659-865CCB1B4B67.jpeg

Last edited:
Our annual January trip is coming up quickly, I finally took some time to get this thing onto a trail and do a quick shakedown run. My plan is to bring this instead of my Suzuki if I can get a few more things squared away.

Yes, I spent 18 months building this damn thing and have been dailying it since august, but haven’t put it in 4 wheel drive. Shoot me :laughing:

I have been having problems with the Advance Adapters twin sticks to work since the day I took them out of the box, they became the biggest issue of today's experiment. Recently they were hitting the floor and causing the transfer case to come out of low range in parking lot tests. I thought I had it fixed, but it showed up today on bigger climbs. Since then I pulled the shifter and lowered some of the rigamarole away from the floor. I tested it out in the neighborhood, fingers crossed.

The other big problem is fluid migration from my transmission into the transfer case. I am not the first one to have this problem, but I also don't have time to deal with it before January. The current protocol is top the transmission up ever 3-4 tanks of fuel and drain the transfer case from the fill plug so that it doesn't blow out of the breather all over everything. I'm not totally sure what the issue is there, but I have my suspicions.

On to the pitchers.

44C12DF2-BCF6-4216-BEDF-9F0A29206686.jpeg

Not bad for a daily driver, pretty awful for a crawler. Tomato potato. It turns sharp AF and drives small. Visibility is really quite good. It can squeeze it in pretty well for a big girl.

The radius arms definitely only flex when you are on flatter ground with more weight on the front. I have heard that they can unload on you and I believe it.
C0A3BBC7-02F5-496D-B8BF-00EB506B4947.jpeg

This is about all I can get out of the front end, everything just binds up exactly like it is supposed to :laughing::laughing:. Things may loosen up, the springs and bushings are all brand new. But still, I wouldn't use them again. I'd just spend the extra money and build a three link. Free parts were free and no project is ever done.

“Don’t get it right, just get it running” has some merit

434ED346-8CAC-4E32-9048-0000DD126DD9.jpeg

13A8AB34-EEEF-4515-B679-1FF3EF87BB4C.jpeg

A 60 wheel well will fit a 37. I too am surprised.

ACB306CE-ED21-4E8E-B367-76DA30ED9175.jpeg

Some glamor shots that would be dope if locals weren't idiotic litterbugs. We made our way down to the sand bars on the Mississippi River and cruised the banks. I made plenty of V8 noises for the nearby people of Arkansas to enjoy

EDE907B9-3259-4ACF-B787-93AA5343BF27.jpeg

5ED290D6-79A9-4E03-83FE-92E7B3FA0915.jpeg

Last edited:
The real shakedown is in the books. No trailer, full gear. We rolled out on Thursday night around 2100 for three days of UA style wheeling with a very questionable weather forecast. The intention was to wheel Iron Gap --> Coalmont OHV --> AOP and camp along the way , but mother nature had other plans.

This has become an annual january trip among the homies, I think we are on year 4. Group shot:

873374EA-3322-4F54-B2E4-85F3F32679E4.jpeg

Day 1 (Friday) at Iron gap went a little sidewards. To make a long story short, that Samurai ended up with water over the hood and a prescription for a complete fluid service. Luckily someone (ya boy here) brought a 4 seater with accommodations for the Samurai driver and codawg. After rescuing the Zook on Friday night, we set up a base camp at AOP, abandoned the UA itinerary, and just went wheeling.

gnarbicon making his escape from Iron Gap. Weak picture, water ended up coming through his hood vents on deeper crossings.
6DA8DE80-47F9-44FE-8C11-75EAA1435D2C.jpeg

OC Cave day 2. You can see the top of the cave entrance directly behind my Land Cruiser. I'd estimate that cave entrance is 30' high, so the water there is about 20' deep. Crazy.

FEBAF382-7C27-410C-B163-9DF9C0AD0AA6.jpeg

AOP night 2. Slick and steep, a samurai on 37s would have been welcomed :laughing::laughing:.

This was really my first time wheeling in something over 3klbs with over 100 horsepower. Seat time is key and confidence rose as time went on.
CDE66782-832B-4F67-831F-7575FF23AD0B.jpeg

Low key video from AOP. It's the only one I've got.

Most of our crew was wet, cold, hungover, or had sore lady parts on Sunday. Two rigs headed over to Coalmont OHV to get finish it out. Coalmont is a fairly new park, but has been a wheelable area for years. It was awesome to see their progress with new trails and facilities, both of which are excellent.

E0533856-BBA8-4FC4-BE94-166FD691D553.jpeg
8DCD143B-D461-40E0-BE3C-A2228AE44D02.jpeg
5E8A80BA-084E-4BD2-8DE1-9BC8B2C66127.jpeg

Sunday night:

Left coalmont OHV and headed back to Memphis. There was a blizzard in the forecast that was expected to start around 2300. Unfortunately, that timeline changed and instead hit Memphis around 1500. Unfortunately we had to send it through 200 miles of winter storm on the way home. In the dark.

"Easy doesn't make good stories"
CB6A1D4A-4A4D-415D-8DF4-767A8854CDDF.jpeg

The cruiser outperformed my expectations by a huge margin. It feels much more stable than expected, the ride is great, the tires barely rub, the power is completely perfect. I am so glad to learn that I didn't completely ruin this truck. Disconnecting the sway bar is the key to getting this front end to work. After doing that, I only lifted a front tire a couple of times.

Breakage list:
-Backed into some dirt and pinched my exhaust. Chopped it off at the muffler like I should have from the beginning
-Pinched exhaust burned the fuel pump wire. Repaired
-Bent driver side rear spring from carrying way too much junk.

Future repairs:
-Get the low range shifter working. Currently must be shifted from underneath.
-Winch cable replacement. It is currently not attached to the drum for some reason
-Transmission skid
-Rear bumper and armor
-Cargo tie downs
-LED headlights. Sealed beams are not what you want on a snowy highway.

Last edited:
Awesome! I need to make it back up to coalmont one of these days. Wheeled there back in like 2010 and need to go back. Fun trails from what I remember! Is it all the creek beds up there or the old damn locals property?

Awesome! I need to make it back up to coalmont one of these days. Wheeled there back in like 2010 and need to go back. Fun trails from what I remember! Is it all the creek beds up there or the old damn locals property?
Most of it from the old days is still pretty accessible. The park property goes from the entrance by coalmont down to the first cove. They have some property that encompasses old creek trails. They have cut a bunch of new trails that take you up into some pretty neat spots.

I’m not sure what is considered the damn locals property

Great trip, thanks for letting me part of it.

I got to watch that MILF magnet work all weekend and it is a great build, good job!

Future repairs:
-LED headlights. Sealed beams are not what you want on a snowy highway.
Some LED lights don't make enough heat to melt snow, so they just get covered in a snow storm. I would just get good H4 bulbs in a good housing if you want them to be good in the snow.

Some LED lights don't make enough heat to melt snow, so they just get covered in a snow storm. I would just get good H4 bulbs in a good housing if you want them to be good in the snow.
This! My headlight (factory Toyota LED) suck in snow. They pack up when its wet heavy snow.

It's really not a snow problem, it's really just a shit headlight problem. Snow is rarely an issue and I've been limping along on the sealed beams for way too long. It just became obvious that it is time to take care of it.

That being said, I bought some tires for my tow rig 5 minutes ago so that will have to wait.

And we started as it was getting dark. We hit a few blues, that was plenty :laughing:
That was my experience first time there a few years ago. Drove 11hrs to meet up with some strangers from the internet, dropped my shit off at the campground and went night wheeling up the george winter trail:laughing:

Top Back Refresh