Uninformed
Member Number
Loc
Memphis 10
-LS swap
-FJ80 axles and radius arms, SOA rear

Way back a long time ago, May 31 2016, I drug this pile home:

IMG_1505.jpg

Much like my thread about The Possum Catcher, I have a truck with a story. Similar to that truck, this one has allowed a simple repair to spin out of control and into a project that deserves a build thread. While I cannot provide the step by step updates that some can, I'll post what I can when I can.

Before getting to the work, there is some back story.

This 1988 FJ62 was parked on the street across from my grandmother's house for literally as long as I can recall. It blended into the neighborhood as a semi abandoned pile, the owner literally drove it until it wouldn't drive. Afterward, he took some things apart, put them halfway back together, and seemingly used it to store old cigarette butts and other garbage. It was nasty.

Years before, I told my grandmother in passing that she should inform me if the truck ever hit the market. Now bear in mind that Land Cruisers were still fairly cheap back then and not really trendy at all. I figured I could part out the pristine rust free body, use the axles on my Samurai, and hopefully break even for some free parts.

So being the nosy old lady that she is, she was the first to notice with the City of Memphis stuck the bright Abandoned Vehicle sticker on his window one day. The sticker that is applied 24 or 48 hours before the vehicle is set to be impounded. She heads across the street and the following (abbreviated) conversation:

-Granny: I noticed your truck might be for sale. Is that true?
-Owner: Well not exactly, but I guess it could be
-G: Well how much do you want for it?
-O: You have been a great neighbor over the years. It will cost me $350 to have it towed and stored. How about you just buy it for that?
-G: Let me call my grandson.

Our conversation was different. "Are you sure he means three hundred and fifty dollars?" "Yes." "Ok. I'm hooking up the trailer and I will be there in 30"

IMG_1506.jpg

Last edited:
Mileage when purchased: 260k.

Condition when purchased:
Mechanically, shit.
Cosmetically, awful.
Structurally, awesome.

Pulled the interior and pressure washed the carpet. Hours of vacuuming. Fresh battery, no start.

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

Clamp the fuel return line with some vice grips, fresh plugs, cap and rotor and she is alive.

But now the real reason why it was parked. Foreshadowing, if you will:

IMG_1520.jpg

Last edited:
Got the brakes un seized so that I could tow it to the shop. Parked it in the side bay and worked on it as time and money allowed (more foreshadowing, I see a theme.) Progress pics from the depths of my photo library:

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

The rusty spot :grinpimp::

IMG_1868.jpg

Emerged. 1-1-2017.

IMG_2159.jpg

To get this far, I completed the following:

-Fuel pressure regulator
-Cold start switch
-Knuckle rebuild
-Complete brake system overhaul
-Valve adjustment
-Cap/rotor/plugs/wires
-Desmog
-Clean, clean, clean. It was so disgusting.

260k mile suspension. 360k mile tires.

Toasting what was probably an 8pm coffee to my 25x25 garage full of 80's shitboxes

IMG_2168.jpg

Found out the Tcase front output was shot, so I rebuilt that old thing.

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

Threw some 33's on the stock suspension and drove it 300 miles to go wheel at Coppinger Cove. Seamless besides having to stop and tighten the pinion flange on Friday Night :laughing:

IMG_2595.jpg

Broken in. Daily Driver status achieved March of 2017

IMG_3269.jpg

2019. Pretty much nothing but oil changes, an alternator, a kickdown cable and an AC compressor. This thing was oddly bulletproof considering the mileage and how neglected it had been.

Threw on some suspension and sliders to get ready for a 4 day bachelor party wheeling and camping in Kentucky. Massive improvement.

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

Kentucky Adventure tour. Drove 500 miles to the trailhead. Wheeled/camped for 4 days with the homies. Epic trip, best one with this truck by FAR. It worked great. Broke an engine mount climbing something that I shouldn't have been climbing in low range. Ratchet strapped it in and left it that way for a few years.

IMG_5596.jpg
IMG_5634.jpg

So long story short.

75F26D5C-1C63-412A-A4D8-3C9D0EF24E44.jpeg

Peanut butter in the chocolate and chocolate in the peanut butter.

025CEC4F-89BA-4301-8EBC-C8885CBA06FE.jpeg

After years of daily driving an a $350 price tag, I can't possibly be mad. I really do enjoy this truck and I want to extend its capability and reliability to allow comfortable long distance moderate wheeling trips with no tow rig required. The opposite of my Samurai.

I don't ever plan to get rid of it, so let's get started.

Convenient that I had this pair of FJ80 axles/links/coils in the shop.

09558281-E8F1-4103-8DE0-0626A50ED550.jpeg

AC5BC477-C70A-41CE-BD6F-3A5DF10CEE44.jpeg

A 5.3 would probably look ok in there.

55FFF4A3-8E8E-42A5-A6A0-F52B652B44A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Current plan:

-5.3/4l60/split case converted to manual shift
-Tom Woods drive shafts with the biggest u-joints they can fit
-FJ80 front and rear axles, RCVs in the front when I can pull that trigger
-Spartan lockers front/rear. Wanted to go with Grizzlys or Detroits but budget. I'd love a cable selectable but I'm not running air or e-lockers.
-FJ80 radius arm front, 60 series or chevrolet 63 leaves out back somehow. Have some good used Ironman foam cell shocks to run

Hoping to be driving by fall. Tons of details to work out, need to find an engine and trans.

All of the old junk is for sale if anyone needs anything. Some parts on order.

To be continued.

Last edited:
Current plan:

-5.3/4l60/split case converted to manual shift
-Tom Woods drive shafts with the biggest u-joints they can fit
-FJ80 front and rear axles, RCVs in the front when I can pull that trigger
-Spartan lockers front/rear. Wanted to go with Grizzlys or Detroits but budget. I'd love a cable selectable but I'm not running air or e-lockers.
-FJ80 radius arm front, 60 series leaves out back somehow. Have some good used Ironman foam cell shocks

Hoping to be driving by fall. Tons of details to work out, need to find an engine and trans.

All of the old junk is for sale if anyone needs anything. Some parts on order.

To be continued.

Sounds like you should have just bought an Fj80 :flipoff2:

Why don't you want to use the current axles?

Sounds like you should have just bought an Fj80 :flipoff2:

Why don't you want to use the current axles?

It occurred to me. Unfortunately an 80 just doesn't have the style and I really fawking hate working on a 1FZ. I have an LS swapped 80 in my driveway right now that I am shaking the bugs out of, it's cool, but it's just not the same. I also don't find them comfortable.

The 80 axles are a bit wider and I gain a high pinion front and full float rear. The front already has the brackets for the radius arms/panhard, so I can just set the axle in position, lift the stock 80 links into place and burn them in. I could get better articulation with a 3 link, but that involves more learning and I'd prefer not to do that :laughing::laughing:.

It occurred to me. Unfortunately an 80 just doesn't have the style and I really fawking hate working on a 1FZ. I have an LS swapped 80 in my driveway right now that I am shaking the bugs out of, it's cool, but it's just not the same. I also don't find them comfortable.

The 80 axles are a bit wider and I gain a high pinion front and full float rear. The front already has the brackets for the radius arms/panhard, so I can just set the axle in position, lift the stock 80 links into place and burn them in. I could get better articulation with a 3 link, but that involves more learning and I'd prefer not to do that :laughing::laughing:.

I get all that, I guess I never saw what your use is going to be. The stock axles are pretty good also.

I still kick myself for letting my mom send an FJ60 to PNP about 15 years ago :homer: I listed it for like $500 on pirate for weeks and weeks with no bites. Funny enough I got a text a few months ago about it :laughing:

I'd like to do one similar to yours, but just go right to 1 ton tcase and axles. Kinda an ultimate adventure style rig.

I get all that, I guess I never saw what your use is going to be. The stock axles are pretty good also.

I'd like to do one similar to yours, but just go right to 1 ton tcase and axles. Kinda an ultimate adventure style rig.
Stockers are honestly just fine.

I thought about tons quite a bit as I am also thinking along the lines of a lighter duty UA build.. But this is what I have, so this is what I'm doing :laughing:. Id Im definitely copying some homework aftert having test driven some very similar builds

Use is a daily driver that I can hop in and drive long distances and hit something when I arrive. Essentially anything but southeast park wheeling . Not trying to do anything ignorant, I have the Suzuki for that.

Stockers are honestly just fine.

I thought about tons quite a bit as I am also thinking along the lines of a lighter duty UA build.. But this is what I have, so this is what I'm doing :laughing:. Id Im definitely copying some homework aftert having test driven some very similar builds

Use is a daily driver that I can hop in and drive long distances and hit something when I arrive. Essentially anything but southeast park wheeling . Not trying to do anything ignorant, I have the Suzuki for that.

What about a custom housing for the front? Use all the stock parts, but push it out to 64-65" then use a FF 80 rear?

Unless you can find the Fj80 front easy. I'm not a big fan of the radius arms on them, but they aren't horrible. Biggest advantage of the 80 or mini stuff is tighter turning.

What about a custom housing for the front? Use all the stock parts, but push it out to 64-65" then use a FF 80 rear?

Unless you can find the Fj80 front easy. I'm not a big fan of the radius arms on them, but they aren't horrible. Biggest advantage of the 80 or mini stuff is tighter turning.

Fawk, do I look like Jeff Bezos??

I bought the front and rear from two seperate trucks at a Taliban operated salvage yard. It came out to $1100 for the pair including links, steering, brakes, etc.

Last edited:
Fawk, do I look like Jeff Bezos??

V8, rcv's, Tom woods? Doesn't sound like a shoe string budget.

I bought the front and rear from two speedster trucks at a Taliban operated salvage yard. It came out to $1100 for the pair including links, steering, brakes, etc.

Which is about the price of a custom housing:laughing: when you buy rcv's, they don't charge much at all for custom length. Not saying you didn't make a good move, but they aren't all that expensive.

Sounds like Captain needs the 62 axles

Doubled down on the white claws last night and did some frame prep.

Notable notes are the FJ80 steering box

4C3253DE-4694-40A0-9EF9-A94F6F979A00.jpeg

Chopped this c-channel junt out previously to clear the future panhard mount

E6A2F41A-861E-4433-AEC7-F5150D4231D1.jpeg

Set the torchmate on buzzed and hacked out some frame reinforcement plates. I didn’t trust myself to run the hole saw and I regret it.

No, they are not done.

Yes, they look like ass.

No, I’m not sure I have enough steel to re do them :laughing:

Posting them anyway because I am a transparent MFer and we need to break the standard of social media ruining our concept of the real world.

A0BC4D26-F85E-42C0-92D9-1017E1E48D78.jpeg

I sprung mine over in two days.
Had the front axle done by Jesse Haines and set the rear pinion angle myself.
Factory springs.
4x4labs high steer.
No sway bars.
PERF

I sprung mine over in two days.
Had the front axle done by Jesse Haines and set the rear pinion angle myself.
Factory springs.
4x4labs high steer.
No sway bars.
PERF

Did it feel too tall? May go SOA out back and match the height up front, I just don’t want it to feel any weirder than necessary

The springs were broken in with 110k on them.
Never did I feel it was too tall.
When I pulled next to other sprung over 60’s, my rig was actually shorter.

I actually prefer spua these days, less axle wrap.

That's how I have my Samurai set up and I would never go back. However, it took a 4" lift spring and a shit load of cutting to fit a 37, even fitting a 35 would have been pretty tight. I borrowed the idea from the guy with the white comp samurai on the old site, he cut more and stayed lower.

D741B8F6-89D9-47A0-9634-08B7109005BB.jpeg

A07AFE72-B836-43CF-9C38-41E8C1C1CB74.jpeg

I want to stick with a SUA on this truck also, but I'm just not sure how well I can clear a 35/37 since there aren't too many bolt in spring options.

My plan is to get the front figured out and then move to the back and see what it is going to need.

Guess I need to update my stickers

677AB536-BB66-44C1-8945-632EFC6D611E.jpeg

Showed up today, ordered 4-7. One of many parts arriving that I won’t be able to install for a little while :laughing::laughing:

That's how I have my Samurai set up and I would never go back. However, it took a 4" lift spring and a shit load of cutting to fit a 37, even fitting a 35 would have been pretty tight. I borrowed the idea from the guy with the white comp samurai on the old site, he cut more and stayed lower.

I want to stick with a SUA on this truck also, but I'm just not sure how well I can clear a 35/37 since there aren't too many bolt in spring options.

My plan is to get the front figured out and then move to the back and see what it is going to need.

With your build list, changing spring hangers seems like a pretty simple task. Some all pro or similar rear leafs for a mini truck or even a tacoma might be a decent option. I have 5" TG rears under my current project and they have plenty of arch for 35-37s imo.

There are lots of other options, but for me personally, if I'm buying leafs, a full mil wrap on the fixed end is a requirement.

With your build list, changing spring hangers seems like a pretty simple task
It is, I'm just not going to fawk with it until i know exactly how much I need it to move.

If I can take these springs, flop them SOA and add an anti wrap bar, I'll just do that and rock out. They're mil wrapped and have work well enough so far.

I'll definitely look at some of those suggestions. Initially I was thinking they would be shorter and softer than the cruiser stuff, but that very well may be incorrect. All-pro has excellent measurements in their item descriptions, I'll do some comparisons soon

Quick google:

All-pro 5" spring:

43" eyelet to eyelet
19.5 military wrap eyelet to center pin

FJ60 stock spring specs found on mud:

43.3" eyelet to eyelet
19.6 military wrap eyelet to center pin.

No way those numbers are correct, that is way too close for my luck. I'll check later, fingers crossed.

Little advice on the Aussie lockers which I ran for years. Get the hardened cross pin shaft from Randys R n P. I broke several over the years. The locker itself is pretty strong but the stock cross shaft is the weak point. I quit running them because of that.

Top Back Refresh