What's new

FJ40 Killer Tomato Rebuild

not2hye

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Hellifornia
FJ 40 that has been in the family for some time now finally got pulled out of storage after sitting for a good ten years.
Thought this thing was pretty sweet when I was a kid. However I was unaware of the amount bootyfab and ghetto rigging the previous owners (and possibly my dad) :laughing:
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7
did to this thing.

Anyways, its got Chevy small block stuffed in it, 400, 205, Dana 60 SF rear with discs and stock Toyota front end.

Its been at the house for about a week and has gotten:
Oil change, trans service, t case fluid, axles got fresh gear oil.
Threw a starter solenoid at it (can you believe that autozone had one in stock?)
Ignition switch fixed the no power to distributor issue (reason it got parked)
Popped a brake light switch in it while the dash was apart, Oddly enough Napa had one of those in stock as well.

Moving forward, this thing is an electrical nightmare, needs suspension work, maybe front axle work and hopefully an ls swap with 4 link (hopefully)

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
20200514_180359.jpg

:eek:
Damn, that’s the worst I’ve seen in a while

That’s what I want to drive in to the woods and try to trouble shoot a problem at night with. :eek:
It will be getting redone at some point completely. But for the next few weeks, I’m just going to keeping patching it together to keep it on the road. :laughing: not what I wanna do but if I want to drive it this summer. I’m gunna have to.
Hell yeah. Love the hardtops. :smokin:

It only has the hardtop on for the winter months. Way too hot here to drive that thing with no ac half the year.

After I got all the drivetrain fluids changed. I went to check the master cylinder for fluid level. This is what I found. New master should be here tomorrow.

I have an ac flush gun kit. Should I flush the hard lines with ac flush, acetone or use a transmission cooler flush kit to purge the junk out of it?

20200515_173036.jpg

Last edited:
What year is it? I have a brake booster adapter in my shed. Is it old enough to have course spline front pinion is why asking year.

What year is it? I have a brake booster adapter in my shed. Is it old enough to have course spline front pinion is why asking year.
Master cylinder and booster are from a c3 corvette.

I think the front axle is out of a 77. It has discs.
Body is a 66 or 67.

I just installed a 1st gen tacoma booster and master cylinder in my 40. Bolted right in and the braking is much improved over my shit stock unit. Im running 85 mini truck front brakes and a fj60 rear with drums. Just an option.

Top Back Refresh