What's new

Fix for Dewalt 3/8 impact hog ring

Baconator

Member Number
I have a Dewalt 3/8 impact with their super shitty hog ring design. I have replaced the hog ring 3 times now, and is a constant issue, if i ever run a socket over 1/2" or with an extension it is constantly falling off.
I dont want to go red, I have ~8 pieces of dewalt 20V tools and probably 15 batteries.
Anyone know of a fix to this stupid ass design?

Im getting close to this. I already have 3 different types of batteries in my shop, really dont want to go 4.
Other than the hog ring its a great tool

I am generally not a fan of hog rings on tools. Seems like I need to see the tool orientation to get the socket on it. Although it does seem to hold the socket on better. Plus and minus I guess.

I was where you are... several different battery types and a few different brands of tools. I started to get frustrated with the lack of uniformity, it required more planning to make sure the right batteries were charged for the next project. So I took the plunge and sold all the old tools used then switched to all M18. The sale of the used stuff helped some, but it was an investment. Looking back I shouldn't have waited so long to do it. One battery system makes life way more betterer.

Is it difficult for you to change the hog ring once in a while? Just keep a few on hand and swap them out as needed.

I love my Milwaukee impacts, but I doubt the ring situation is any better than dewalts.

Of course, you could get the pin style anvil and have to fight getting the socket s on and off every time :homer:

Is it difficult for you to change the hog ring once in a while? Just keep a few on hand and swap them out as needed.

I love my Milwaukee impacts, but I doubt the ring situation is any better than dewalts.

Of course, you could get the pin style anvil and have to fight getting the socket s on and off every time :homer:

My dewalt 1/2" impact has the pin style and its great, I dont really have an issue getting sockets on and off.
My biggest issue with the hog ring is how quick they wear out, I replaced it about a month ago, it goes from being really tight and tough to get sockets off to way too loose in about 2 weeks of use.

My dewalt 1/2" impact has the pin style and its great, I dont really have an issue getting sockets on and off.
My biggest issue with the hog ring is how quick they wear out, I replaced it about a month ago, it goes from being really tight and tough to get sockets off to way too loose in about 2 weeks of use.

Milwaukee is no better. The hog ring on my 1/2" impact lasted 3 weeks. The gun itself lasted 10 months and shit the bed. To be fair, I used it 5 days a week for 10 months straight before it took a shit.

I have a Dewalt 3/8 impact with their super shitty hog ring design. I have replaced the hog ring 3 times now, and is a constant issue, if i ever run a socket over 1/2" or with an extension it is constantly falling off.
I dont want to go red, I have ~8 pieces of dewalt 20V tools and probably 15 batteries.
Anyone know of a fix to this stupid ass design?

what hog hog ring are you replacing it with? I have had good luck with “just clips” brand rings.

also what kind of sockets are you using it with? I hate chrome craftsman sockets on hog rings, they always hang up and try to rip the ring off. impact sockets that have a hole for a pin detent seem to be much more forgiving.

Things to consider. The square anvils will wear out and cause new hog rings to wear out quicker, Your impact sockets female square will also wear out and wont let the hog ring grab as good and they will wear out the impact guns anvil quicker.

It does seem like a stupid design. Why not just magnetize the anvil, hold the sockets on and keep bolts from dropping?

You do know that hitting/impacting a magnet will kill the magnetism right?

I didn’t figure the “tap tap tap” of a cordless impact would do it. If you dropped the thing off a ladder I could see it no longer working. I know actual magnets are super brittle but haven’t messed with magnetizing various steel alloys.

what hog hog ring are you replacing it with? I have had good luck with “just clips” brand rings.

also what kind of sockets are you using it with? I hate chrome craftsman sockets on hog rings, they always hang up and try to rip the ring off. impact sockets that have a hole for a pin detent seem to be much more forgiving.

Ive been buying the Dewalt replacement, the bag they come in says Dewalt atleast, but who knows.

Top Back Refresh