What's new

Fishing Snobs, tell me how you really feel about swivels.

3Cs

Member Number
I'm just an occasional Fisher, not at all "In" to the sport, I just go from time to time with friends or simply to get out among nature for a while . I have trouble tying knots due to mobility problems with my thumbs (early arthritis maybe?) so sometimes I'll tie on a swivel to be able to switch Lures or hooks quicker and easier. Some of the guys I have been fishing with believe swivels are a complete rookie item, something that no real enthusiast would ever carry in their tackle box. A few times I've heard the claim that it will interfere with the action of the lure, I dunno,maybe there's something to that. What say you?

make sure you buy the swivels that have the 90 degree turn outs on the clip. had too many of the straight ones pull open with a good hit from a big fish.

They can affect the lure action, but I wouldn’t worry about it. I primarily catfish and always use swivels due to catfish typically spinning and trying to break the line.

Fished with swivels all my life. Caught more fish than I could ever count. That’s horse shit. Swivels keep your line straight while allowing the lure to spin freely. Tie the lure on leader length of your choice hooked to the swivel.

Last edited:
My preference is to use them minimally. I have no issue with good swivels but you are describing snap swivels; they can open and they do add weight to the front of a lure. Some lures will not work properly with that addition weight. If it is working for you then who cares, fish on:usa:

I've never heard anyone say that using swivels was a rookie move :confused: You pretty much have to have swivels for a wide range of fishing.

You are talking about snap swivels. You need swivels in some types of fishing, you never need a snap in any type of fishing that I know of. If you are trolling with multiple lines or a commercial outfit, they're almost a must.

Get the ones with the supporting brace, like this here:

barrel-swivel-interlock-snap-nickel.jpg

Not the 'coastwise' ones that just hang on one piece of wire like this:

211.5bacba2a159b1.jpg

You can buy the Eagle Claw ones and they're ok. But swivels are like grease nozzles: there is a huge quality difference. The Eagle Claw interlock safety snap swivels are ok, but they will occasionally let you down.

The narrow market nickel and even ball bearing snap swivels will not fail and leave hundreds of dollars of saltwater rig or a hand-tied fly in the water. You can yank on them if they are snagged and the interlock safety snap swivel is not the fuse.

The coastwise single-hook swivel is the fuse almost always.

Fished with swivels all my life. Caught more fish than I could ever count. That’s horse shit. Swivels keep your line straight while allowing the lure to spin freely. Tie the lure on leader length of your choice hooked to the swivel.

Is using a leader important? I just tied the swivel to the line and attached the lure/hook directly to it. Looks like I've been doing it wrong. Thanks.

Same!

People try too hard. Fish don't care, if it looks like food, or they're hungry, they'll take a bite. Hell I've caught white bass and large mouth with chicken liver. I caught blue gill with a willow leaf on a hook, just to prove the point to one of my fishing snob cousins.

I've got benign essential tremors, it's been getting progressively worse for the past 5 or so years, if you saw me off my meds you'd probably think I had Parkinson's. If I took the time to tie a new lure or hook every time I needed to, I'd never have time to fish. :laughing:

Is using a leader important? I just tied the swivel to the line and attached the lure/hook directly to it. Looks like I've been doing it wrong. Thanks.

Steel leader? Depends on the fish. Bluefish, its a must.

I use swivels on everything except a bare hook. Moosehead Wobbler on every rod.

Same!

People try too hard. Fish don't care, if it looks like food, or they're hungry, they'll take a bite. Hell I've caught white bass and large mouth with chicken liver. I caught blue gill with a willow leaf on a hook, just to prove the point to one of my fishing snob cousins.

I've got benign essential tremors, it's been getting progressively worse for the past 5 or so years, if you saw me off my meds you'd probably think I had Parkinson's. If I took the time to tie a new lure or hook every time I needed to, I'd never have time to fish. :laughing:

Yeah, when fish are biting, they will pretty much jump into your hand. When they are not biting, good fishermen can get them and bad ones can't. Bluegill are one of the most aggressive species of fish on earth, they get territorial in certain parts of the year.

If you were really cool, you would have caught one on your finger. A good bluegill fisherman however can fill a pan with them all year long.

No Saltwater fisher for me, although I'd love to some day. Mostly Lakes,Ponds and Streams. I got spoiled as a kid growing up on a farm with our own pond, heck I could catch Bluegill with damned near a bare hook with almost every cast. As an adult I swear i became fish repellant,lol. "You shoulda been here last week, we were killin'em."

Same!

I've had them hit the practice plug while I was figuring out a new reel. :laughing:

Fishing snap swivels are responsible for me turning into the cynical asshole that I am due to a simple but life altering epiphany. I had a buddy who worked at a tackle shop. He and I fished saltwater together 100's of times. While I was visiting him at the store one day he had to help a customer and while waiting on him to get done, I was fingering the high dollar ball bearing swivels, the 1 pound rock cod sinkers and some fishing line. I tied the line to a hook in the ceiling, tied on a swivel, stuck a little flag of masking tape on the line, hung the sinker from the swivel and gave it a spin. The little flag spun at the same rate as the sinker. I tried several more swivels of various designs and the test showed them all do the same fucking thing. They take money out of your pocket and give it to tackle suppliers for exactly zero change in how much your line gets twisted. They are the greatest gimmick every foisted upon fishermen. After that we just used plain non swivel snaps with zero ill effect.

I want to get into deeper lake trout fishing. chunk of meet on a jig 140' down.

I think the real question is why are you switching your lure so much? When i go fishing I take 2 poles. One with whatever lure I'm fishing that day and one for soft plastics. All of this is pre determined based on where I'm fishing what I'm fishing for and what the weather would be like.

Fish only do specific things at specific times. Figure that out and you won't be changing lures enough to need a swivel.

Not a diehard fisherman, mostly go just for fun or socializing,plus I'm not real patient when it comes to fishing. If nobody in the boat is catching anything then I'm going to try throwing something else at them rather that keep doing the same thing over and over that's not working. If all else fails, out comes the hook and bobber. 😄

Depends on what you are doing. But when I'm salmon fishing on the bottom of the river a leader is almost mandatory. I use 20lb braided line to a swivel, and tie on a leader with my final tackle. If you end up getting snagged on the bottom, it's much easier to re-tie a leader on the swivel than it is to re-rig your whole setup.

If you are drift fishing for salmon and you don't get snagged on the bottom once in a while, you aren't doing it right.

Fly fishing definitely not but I do on most other stuff depending the exact rig.

I always thought everyone used them till I got the internet

No Saltwater fisher for me, although I'd love to some day. Mostly Lakes,Ponds and Streams. I got spoiled as a kid growing up on a farm with our own pond, heck I could catch Bluegill with damned near a bare hook with almost every cast. As an adult I swear i became fish repellant,lol. "You shoulda been here last week, we were killin'em."

That's no shit. We fished a lot last summer due to the social distancing bullshit. When I would bring the kids, they would catch fish all fucking day. Sure, I was fishing completely different setups than them, but even when I got frustrated and grabbed on of their poles, it was fucking radio silence. :homer:

Yep, last summer was sureal. I walked through the tackle isle at a WalMart and the entire wall for fishing line was empty except for one oddball pack. EVERYONE must have been fishing last year.

Funny, I just looked up the Palomar this morning. With my hands that may well be a knot that I'll be able to do. Sucks getting old, now that I have the time to do what I want (Retired last year), my body is fighting me at every turn. lol

Man
IF I\we knew what\ how to throw at em, I'd NEVER get outta the boat.
Tight Lines

Top Back Refresh