What's new

Fishing buddies "massacred" in BFE

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
From another thread I will say it again. This is another reason that I ALWAYS have a pistol on me in the mountains. Not saying I could have went all Jack Bauer and made 24 perfect shots from my 10 round mag, but still.

Seems there is going to be more to this story because there is some fishy shit (see what I did there) or just a total lack of common sense in a panic mode.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-friends...002601771.html

FROSTPROOF, Fla. – Three Florida men were fatally beaten and shot while on their way to fish in a remote area late Friday night, according to Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd.

During a media briefing near the scene on Lake Streety Road on Saturday morning, Judd identified the victims as Damion Tillman, 23, Keven Springfield, 30, and Brandon Rollins, 27. The three men had been friends for years, Judd said, adding the families of the victims gave police permission to release their names.

Judd, who has worked at the department since 1972, described the killings as a “massacre.”

“This is a horrific scene,” Judd said Saturday. “I’ve been to a lot of murder scenes in my life, and this ranks among the worst.”

According to the preliminary investigation, Judd said just after 10 p.m. Friday, Rollins called his dad on his cellphone and said “Help.” Judd said Rollins’ father knew his son was fishing with his two friends and drove to Lake Streety Road.

Upon arriving at the scene, Rollins’ found his son barely alive and his two friends both dead.

Judd said Rollins was able to say a few things to his dad before he died, which the sheriff’s office didn’t release at the morning briefing.

Judd said it appeared that Tillman arrived first in his red pickup truck, and that while he was being killed, Rollins and Springfield arrived in a white pickup truck and also were shot.

“In Brandon’s father’s excitement to run to help his son, he forgot his cellphone at home. So now he is out in the middle, as you can see, of no place without any communication,” Judd said. The father drove back to the nearest convenience store to call 911 and said “my son needs help.”

A 17-year-old girl, the daughter of the convenience store’s owner, jumped into Rollins’ father's vehicle and the two drove back to Lake Streety Road, Judd said.

By the time authorities arrived, Rollins had died of his injuries.

“These folks appear to be beaten and shot. ... We are seeking leads, we need help so we can solve this crime sooner rather than later,” Judd said.

He did not say whether authorities have identified any suspects, but noted that his department is offering a $5,000 for any information leading to the capture of the killers. He said investigators believe more than one person was involved in the slayings.

Describing the “quiet, quaint” community surrounded by groves, forest and cattle ranches, Judd said the scene area was “about as far out in the woods as you can get.”

Just read that. Likely started as country road rage and murderer had to finish the other two to clean up the scene. Luckily- usually rush murders leave decent evidence. Hopefully they catch the killer(s) soon

When I was a young man (13ish) I went fishing with my mom's boyfriend and his buddy. They were in their mid 30's. We were at a spot under a bridge and a bunch of teenagers started jumping off the bridge onto our fishing lines. They couldn't see us. We packed up and started to leave. On the way out, I tipped one of their hats off the bridge with my fishing pole and we had a good chuckle.

Mind you this is in the middle of nowhere in Northern California. While we were driving down the road, they passed us in a pickup truck and started brake checking us hard core. There were 5 or 6 of them and three of us. Once they blocked us in, they got way puffed up and came at the car. My mom's BF and his buddy got out of the car and proceeded to lay down an ass whipping of epic proportions. Once they moved their truck we sped to the nearest town and called the police. No report was filed on their end.

It could have easily gone the other way.

A lot of Californians dont know that it is completely legal for anyone who can own a gun to carry wile fishing and going to and from thier fishing spot once exiting a vehicle.

Really feel for the dad. Can't imagine going through that then wondering if your kid might have made it had you not forgotten your phone. Would fucking suck having to question that as if the entire situation wasn't bad enough.

Really feel for the dad. Can't imagine going through that then wondering if your kid might have made it had you not forgotten your phone. Would fucking suck having to question that as if the entire situation wasn't bad enough.

He had 3 phones to choose from at the crime scene. I'm sure he wasn't thinking that clearly though. Or something else weird going on.

He had 3 phones to choose from at the crime scene. I'm sure he wasn't thinking that clearly though. Or something else weird going on.

definitely his boys phone that his kid used to call him. And his dad was there in 10 min?!? Looking at an sat image of the lake it’s surrounded by what looks like orange trees groves and really only one what looks like farm house and buildings on the lake. Other side has a shack on it. Nothing else. No boat ramps or dick.

I'm thinking a drug deal gone south and pops got rid of evidence probably, why else would he drive for miles to a gas station? Only other thing would be kid called dad when it was going down and the murderers took or tossed their phones into the lake.

drugs related I’m thinking.

Something is very fishy.

definitely his boys phone that his kid used to call him. And his dad was there in 10 min?!? Looking at an sat image of the lake it’s surrounded by what looks like orange trees groves and really only one what looks like farm house and buildings on the lake. Other side has a shack on it. Nothing else. No boat ramps or dick.

I'm thinking a drug deal gone south and pops got rid of evidence probably, why else would he drive for miles to a gas station? Only other thing would be kid called dad when it was going down and the murderers took or tossed their phones into the lake.

drugs related I’m thinking.

Could be, they said the son gave dad information before he died

Another thing, why the fuck wouldn’t his dad put his kid in the vehicle and try to drive him to a hospital or help? Go there, look at him and exchange a few words and then leave him there to die alone?

Another thing, why the fuck wouldn’t his dad put his kid in the vehicle and try to drive him to a hospital or help? Go there, look at him and exchange a few words and then leave him there to die alone?

It's not that easy. We don't know how big the kid is and how old the dad is.

yeah, we dont know what kind of shape the kid was in either. Maybe dad felt moving him would have caused more damage. Sounds like this was a pretty violent ordeal so who knows.

Merkkury said:
It's not that easy. We don't know how big the kid is and how old the dad is.

whoa whoa WHOA!!!, never let logic get involved when there are tinfoil type conspiracies being discussed

First day on the internet or something?

A lot of Californians dont know that it is completely legal for anyone who can own a gun to carry wile fishing and going to and from thier fishing spot once exiting a vehicle.

Love ya 2BB, but that, all by itself, is bad advice because it's incomplete. You left out the most important part. You have to be in an area where it is otherwise legal to target shoot/hunt/etc.

So no, you can't pack while you fish Berkley Pier or the beach at Pacifica, but you can pack while you fish a remote stream up in the mountains where you could otherwise legally shoot anyway.
As far as going to and from, once again, same thing. If you are walking through a forest wilderness where it would be ok to target shoot or hunt, then you can pack along that hike. But you can not carry a gun from the parking lot at Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton to walk to the shore to fish for rainbow trout there.

Weird part of the story is the dad forgetting his phone? His son called him on that phone, he put it down then drove out there. Shit happens in the heat of the moment but I'd be talking to him and driving while calling the cops. Not saying anything bad about the guy people react differently in tragic situations.

When i first read & saw the town Frostproof, I figured it was due to gambling debt(s) from cockfighting-

Hopefully it is related to some type of illegal activity, and not just BLM “protestors” targeting white boys.

There was a protest in a town 45 minutes south of here yesterday that’s heavily redneck. One of the organizers was advocating “burning down their white settlement” on Facebook.

Fuck man. Frostproof is a small town in the middle of nowhere.

This is exactly the sort of goings on that happens in small towns in the middle of nowhere. Not often, it obviously made national news. But odd crimes like this are what happens in podunkville.

I think it's worth pointing out that Frostproof is basically in the center of a triangle between Miami, Tampa, and Orlando, on a major corridor. Because I just watched a 1990s detective movie with Ed Harris, I know my Detective senses are in a fine state of tune.

5JfXEnZ.jpg

Now to me that looks like the path I would take if I was a mule ferrying expensive and illegal powders between urban areas.

I read that and thought the same.

Check the story:

“This is a horrific scene,” Judd said Saturday. “I’ve been to a lot of murder scenes in my life, and this ranks among the worst.”

and

“In Brandon’s father’s excitement to run to help his son, he forgot his cellphone at home. So now he is out in the middle, as you can see, of no place without any communication,”

From another article:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/friends-fo...ry?id=71863855

According to the sheriff's office, Rollins called his father at about 10 p.m. Friday and managed to only say "help." He quickly jumped into his car and went to where his son had said he was going fishing.

Is this place remote enough to have spotty cell coverage? We don't know the exact location, Frostproof is a Florida town, but there are boondocks all around it. Florida boondocks can be problematic with cell tower construction? Swampy?

And if it's a 'massacre', then he has a wet, bloody mess on his hands. I think it's entirely reasonable that the dad took one look at what was left of his son and his friends and didn't even consider reaching into their pockets for their cell phones. Or even looking at all if they were in such a ghastly state:

“I’ve been to a lot of murder scenes in my life, and this ranks among the worst.”

One would assume Dad has not been to a lot of murder scenes in his life, and people get shocked. I was shocked when a woman got hit by a car this winter and got a compound fracture. Seeing disfigured human bodies is a pretty shocking thing.

BLM is at the absolute bottom of the list IMO.

My shot in the dark: It's drug traffickers, probably small-timers. Did they run into something like this?

ttapp3n.jpg

I talked to DFG and you can open carry “during the course of actively fishing.”

Otherwise it’s lock box in the backpack to the shoreline and back.

Love ya 2BB, but that, all by itself, is bad advice because it's incomplete. You left out the most important part. You have to be in an area where it is otherwise legal to target shoot/hunt/etc.

So no, you can't pack while you fish Berkley Pier or the beach at Pacifica, but you can pack while you fish a remote stream up in the mountains where you could otherwise legally shoot anyway.
As far as going to and from, once again, same thing. If you are walking through a forest wilderness where it would be ok to target shoot or hunt, then you can pack along that hike. But you can not carry a gun from the parking lot at Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton to walk to the shore to fish for rainbow trout there.

Weird part of the story is the dad forgetting his phone? His son called him on that phone, he put it down then drove out there. Shit happens in the heat of the moment but I'd be talking to him and driving while calling the cops. Not saying anything bad about the guy people react differently in tragic situations.

All depends on age. My parents don’t live by their cell phones and they even still have a land line. I call my parents cell first, if I don’t get an answer, then I call the house. I usually get an answer on the house line, even though their cell phone is right there. :homer:

If he called dad at home, dad grabs his keys and runs out the door, it’s very easy to see why he forgot his cell phone.

now back to the tin foilness

All depends on age. My parents don’t live by their cell phones and they even still have a land line. I call my parents cell first, if I don’t get an answer, then I call the house. I usually get an answer on the house line, even though their cell phone is right there. :homer:

If he called dad at home, dad grabs his keys and runs out the door, it’s very easy to see why he forgot his cell phone.

now back to the tin foilness

Yep. Might not have had pants or shoes on, keys handy, had a few beers, etc. Easy to set the phone down, grab what you need if you know where you’re going, and rush out the door. Don’t find that part weird at all. Not grabbing his son’s phone and using it is a bit odd, since it claims her was still alive when he got there and talked to him. You’d think the phone would be in his hand.

Whats more odd is the son calling the dad and not 911. Maybe he figured he’d get there quicker if he was just right down the road, but there’s about a 20% chance of my dad even answering his when I call him. Tyoically calls me back 15-30 minutes later when he sees it.

Last edited:

Yota Up I may be wrong (theres a first time for everything :flipoff2:) but my understanding is that it has nothing to do with being able to shoot/target shoot. It is allowed anywhere where guns are not prohibited. Do you have any info that says otherwise?

Edit: looks like if you are in a no shoot zone the firearm has to be unloaded while traveling and can be loaded while fishing. In a shoot zone it can be loaded for both.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh