What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

ThePanzerFuhrer

I think you mentioned something like this in one of these recent threads... can't link to it because I can't facespace from this computer. But I can post a cell phone screenshot.

Screenshot_20220112-140528_Facebook.jpg
Where is that at?

No biggie, super excited to have it! I just have a 110 for small stuff, don’t have the power in the shop for anything else. Hoping to get new service ran to the shop when the ground thaws.
There's a very narrow use case for inverter welders, and that is basically smack-dab it. That and carrying them around a lot.

Get you one of them little 120A? inverter boxes, just enough to burn 3/32" 7018s

Shit,
I was away from the computer / driving so no phone all afternoon. I was hoping someone could send the link or something but it looks like the post is gone already. It was in Northern Illinois. The guy seems to sell a lot of stuff in that group based on searching just now. My bad, but I did what I could given the resources I had at the moment.

I have been following this forum and especially this thread for a while now, but wasn't a member so I figured I would be SOL on getting any parts. Finally made a profile last night and figured I'll never know if I don't ask. I'm a part time college student at my local university going for mechanical egr, and trying to build/fab cool stuff when I have time and money. Car trailer mods, and a slow car build being the big projects. I have a welder, and have been wanting to build this vise since I first saw Jason's video about 2.5 years ago.

I bought the plans from the Fireball website. I'll try to attach the screenshot here (can email it for proof too). Are there any kits left unspoken for? I'd love a set of flats and tubes if so. I would even pay some extra for good graces since I'm still the newbie here ($250+ instead of $235?). I'll leave it up to y'all to decide. I'm in northern Alabama btw, and like most guys here not in any rush. Happy to see the support, and would love to be part of it and build a cool vise if possible.

Screenshot_20220114-115904_Email.jpg

I have been following this forum and especially this thread for a while now, but wasn't a member so I figured I would be SOL on getting any parts. Finally made a profile last night and figured I'll never know if I don't ask. I'm a part time college student at my local university going for mechanical egr, and trying to build/fab cool stuff when I have time and money. Car trailer mods, and a slow car build being the big projects. I have a welder, and have been wanting to build this vise since I first saw Jason's video about 2.5 years ago.

I bought the plans from the Fireball website. I'll try to attach the screenshot here (can email it for proof too). Are there any kits left unspoken for? I'd love a set of flats and tubes if so. I would even pay some extra for good graces since I'm still the newbie here ($250+ instead of $235?). I'll leave it up to y'all to decide. I'm in northern Alabama btw, and like most guys here not in any rush. Happy to see the support, and would love to be part of it and build a cool vise if possible.
ThePanzerFuhrer If no extras, sell this guy one of mine.

Ready with dough.

Last edited:
ThePanzerFuhrer If no extras, sell this guy one of mine.

Ready with dough.

Thanks Grendel, but I sure don't mean to cut in front of a fella in line! I have no problem waiting. Although I am ready to build it at any time, since my bench is empty.

Also, thanks for welcoming a FNG like me, especially since I'm greener than a leprechauns d!ck on this forum. I am on a few other forums regularly, but that usually doesn't count for much with new groups.

Edit: yes, I am ready with dough (PayPal).

Thanks Grendel, but I sure don't mean to cut in front of a fella in line! I have no problem waiting. Although I am ready to build it at any time, since my bench is empty.

Also, thanks for welcoming a FNG like me, especially since I'm greener than a leprechauns d!ck on this forum. I am on a few other forums regularly, but that usually doesn't count for much with new groups.

Edit: yes, I am ready with dough (PayPal).
It's ok, I have 3 kits reserved. I don't need 3, but want 3...

You can spell out dick here... ****, fuck, bitch, whore, whatev's.

:flipoff2:

Out of curiosity what year are you? Maybe we should require you to build a CAD model of the vise and run a FEA analysis to see at which point it will fail. I would but Im lazy. At least Huntsville is boaming when I swung by 2 months ago for work.

I’ll get you added Logan. This weekend I’m gonna finish everything up. I might run a little short in tubes but I got the steel yard rounding some more up for me. Thank you guys for your patience. I just run out of gas after 6:30 on the week days. Fuck getting old.

Out of curiosity what year are you? Maybe we should require you to build a CAD model of the vise and run a FEA analysis to see at which point it will fail. I would but Im lazy. At least Huntsville is boaming when I swung by 2 months ago for work.
Going part time, it's gonna take me forever to finish. But I guess I'm somewhere between years 2 and 3, out of 4. So a little past halfway. I'm supposed to come up with an object to build in CAD this semester, with about 20 ish parts, that has motion that can be simulated in the software. I'm starting to think this vise would be a good candidate for that project! If so, could do FEA on it too. HSV is for sure booming, but too much growth too quickly is not good either.

I’ll get you added Logan. This weekend I’m gonna finish everything up. I might run a little short in tubes but I got the steel yard rounding some more up for me. Thank you guys for your patience. I just run out of gas after 6:30 on the week days. Fuck getting old.
Thanks Panzer! I'll send you a PM with my details. Also...a huge thanks for doing this! Definitely sending you a tip for your efforts.

You know we have this vice in CAD already, right?

We did the models...

Going part time, it's gonna take me forever to finish. But I guess I'm somewhere between years 2 and 3, out of 4. So a little past halfway. I'm supposed to come up with an object to build in CAD this semester, with about 20 ish parts, that has motion that can be simulated in the software. I'm starting to think this vise would be a good candidate for that project! If so, could do FEA on it too. HSV is for sure booming, but too much growth too quickly is not good either.

Thanks Panzer! I'll send you a PM with my details. Also...a huge thanks for doing this! Definitely sending you a tip for your efforts.

Once you add all the thread, nuts, and small parts you will be at 20 parts or close. If under, fireball also has a youtube channel featuring a method to rotate the vise 90 degrees. Find a way to switch to full time if you can but I also took 7 years to finish my ME degree while working a career job. I might even know one of your classmates, JP. I worked in Huntsville for 4 years before leaving.

We did the models...

That might be true but he does need a project. What better than something he builds and models. Most ME students are lucky to have the knowledge to use a screw driver.

Not a problem. My wife would kill me if this was to show up while Im at Shot Show this week.

We did the models...
Once you add all the thread, nuts, and small parts you will be at 20 parts or close. If under, fireball also has a youtube channel featuring a method to rotate the vise 90 degrees. Find a way to switch to full time if you can but I also took 7 years to finish my ME degree while working a career job. I might even know one of your classmates, JP. I worked in Huntsville for 4 years before leaving.

1642196859439.png

I think I counted 28 components....give or take. :flipoff2:

1642196859439.png

I think I counted 28 components....give or take. :flipoff2:
I knew I saw some CAD pictures throughout the 17 pages here. I would still like to build this vise as my semester project, which means drawing it myself from scratch in SolidEdge (which I'm happy to do, I want to learn the software properly). However it would be neat to have a reference file to compare my dimensions to, if someone/bgaiden wants to send me that file? If so, send me a PM for email info.

Find a way to switch to full time if you can but I also took 7 years to finish my ME degree while working a career job. I might even know one of your classmates, JP. I worked in Huntsville for 4 years before leaving.

Most ME students are lucky to have the knowledge to use a screw driver.
I can't afford to lose full-time job income to move to full-time school, although I wish I could accelerate the process. I just switched from community college to uni, so I barely know any other students here yet. Couple that with over half my classes being online only, and it starts feeling very disconnected from what I'm used to "school" meaning.

Panzer - PM sent with contact/PayPal info for whenever you get to that point.

I knew I saw some CAD pictures throughout the 17 pages here. I would still like to build this vise as my semester project, which means drawing it myself from scratch in SolidEdge (which I'm happy to do, I want to learn the software properly). However it would be neat to have a reference file to compare my dimensions to, if someone/bgaiden wants to send me that file? If so, send me a PM for email info

Mine's in fusion 360. I can share it through there or look at what formats it'll spit out.

You'll find that the fireball plans are a little lacking in some dimensions and radii call outs and you'll have to kind of wing it on some of them so it's not likely that you'll get the same exact plate dimensions as anyone else....but most of that is cosmetic.

I actually pulled in all the McMaster parts in fusion so it's as accurate is it can be....or as accurate as my fusion skills allow it to be. :laughing:

1642261325774.png

Got up at 5 today and finished up all that I had steel for. Basketball at 9:40 to 4 today with the kids.

I will order some more steel to make more tubes, jaw retainers and front bearing blocks.

Pile o parts.

78D62DE7-544B-4007-A34D-D138C6447807.jpeg
:eek:

Tomorrow gonna box this stuff up and and get labels made. Need to get this shit over to you guys so we can see some of these finished up. I’ll go down my list and pm you the details. I got a full day of basketball so I have plenty of time to shoot pms.

The jaw retainers and front bearing block are $80 they can ship with the tubes or flats. Shipped by themselves they’ll fit in a small flat rate.

As said, I want as much of the vise from you as possible.

So, perfect.

I have not, I have it sitting there all mocked up. I don't have a welder right now so I need to take it to a friends this weekend
Ship it to me, if you want.

I have 3 coming, TIG welding one more won't hurt me. I am even powder coating them.

I do think I should cut the IBB logo in thin stainless to go on the tubes or something. Panzer's sending me A400 plate to weld on the back as an anvil.

Just have to figure out what else to order to final assemble.

I can send you the files I shared. Feel free to message me.

Ship it to me, if you want.
If you lived close I’d come by for some Tig lessons. I’d like to weld it up myself, got welders galore at my FIL’s shop. Was going to do it this weekend but he got the ‘vid so I can’t get in. Next weekend :smokin:

If you lived close I’d come by for some Tig lessons. I’d like to weld it up myself, got welders galore at my FIL’s shop. Was going to do it this weekend but he got the ‘vid so I can’t get in. Next weekend :smokin:
Flights are cheap. :flipoff2:

Dont temp me, I got a little over 500k miles just sit’n.

I can picture the look from TSA when the pieces go through …… “I just need to go weld this” :lmao:
Eh, it weighs less than 50lbs. You can check it. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh