What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

Is anyone building the Jaw Support Blocks? The video shows it being made with a milling machine. It looks like the support blocks could be made without the step in them and still provide a mostly effective solution. Since I don't have access to a milling machine, I'm just wondering what others are planning for this.

Is anyone building the Jaw Support Blocks? The video shows it being made with a milling machine. It looks like the support blocks could be made without the step in them and still provide a mostly effective solution. Since I don't have access to a milling machine, I'm just wondering what others are planning for this.
I got the steel to make them it will just be a bit. I was hoping a cnc guy could burn them out in a few hours . If not I’ll turn the old Bridgeport into a production machine lol.

I got a set of jaws from McMaster. I also ordered the Irwin set off Amazon. Once the amazon set shows up I’ll take a side by side picture of them for you guys .

Interesting. Fabricated, offset jaws.

engineer-vice-offset-fabricated-i-range-HERO-60320.jpg

Unpossible, I thought they shipped as soon as the #'s were typed in!
ya, I have tried to catch the order within the hour of placing it
People I talked to loled me and said you have a few minutes to reel it back before it is gone :laughing:

Do they have any of the needed parts? I haven't had a chance to buy and read their instructions yet.
They sell the instructions for $5. The hardware is listed with the P/Ns from McMaster. The other components are dimensioned out on a PDF so you can build it yourself or send it to a shop to transcribe for cutting.

shipping from AK is prolly more than the nuts are themselves lol
Don't bet on it! $7/each. Stupid Acme, vs UNC $1.70 each.

Grendel, I forgot to mention- 1"-10tpi thread, slow/strong. If you want them PM me an address and I'll throw them in a box.

As seen above, it says "Excludes (Table Toppers, Plates & Hardtail Vise)"

I put a couple of the squares in my cart and it isn't taking the 15% off of them.
Black Friday is tomorrow? Doesn’t work on the squares. The shim Kit it does.

Ok, I played around with it a bit more. I had put one of the "Kit Deals" in my cart - that didn't get a discount because you're already getting a discount over the individual prices.

I'm ok with that, but they should have included that in the exclusions. 😉

Thanks. I saw mention of the discount with the newsletter on their website, but had to go digging through my spam folder to find the email with the code.

[EDIT] I was about to be really pissed at my ISP's spam filters because the email said the coupon code was only good for 24 hours - but it went through and I got what I wanted.

Last edited:
Im making my mcmaster order. Does anyone have the part number for the extra long nut to weld into the tube instead of having to weld 2 nuts together/ Would be for UNC - 8tip

Pricey @ $55.30 per... 90983A240 grade 8

Or more better grade 9 for less $43.70... 90654A340

Vise jaws

Long one is a Irwin jaw off Amazon. Short one is Wilton from McMaster carr.

Hopefully this after noon I can start on making some jaw holders. Im leaning towards the McMaster jaws. The Irwin jaws will hang over too far and will probably get bent without a bunch of stiffening.
328AE061-5D92-4863-8F3F-A2B317AA382B.jpeg

C9B248E7-2044-45BB-B335-628F040987F6.jpeg

I got the steel to make them it will just be a bit. I was hoping a cnc guy could burn them out in a few hours . If not I’ll turn the old Bridgeport into a production machine lol.
I'm hoping someone here that has CNC machines could knock out the bearing plate and jaws holders too. Is there a job shop thread here?

Possibly feasible to group order to sendcutsend or similar then redistribute?

Here, have some overthinking:

Choices, choices- serrated hardened steel, machinable steel, aluminum.

I'm gonna try to go with jaws for something common. I don't want to screw around with an odd hole spacing/size in 45 years when I have to replace them!

I've said this before, - if I was in the US I'd buy Monster Jaws, .............and I'm that tight I squeak
wink.gif

IMO - UNLESS you're doing long runs of the same part, hardened jaws are the spawn of the devil, ......................and about as much use to a job shop as a chocolate coffee pot.

• Jaw Type: Fits 6" Kurt Anglock Type Vises. Machinable Steel soft jaws with 8" extension length
  • Dimensions (Nominal): 8 x 2 x 1.5" (L x H x W) Extended length jaws for 6" vises only
  • Bolt Center Distance: 3.875"
  • Screw Size: 1/2 or M12

All of our Aluminum Soft Vise Jaws are made from 6061-T651 Aluminum and all of the Steel Soft Vise Jaws are made from 1018 Steel. The are counterbored for a standard 1-2-13 UNC socket head cap screw and the center distances of the holes are 3.875″. They can be used on the Speed Lock 6″ vise by simply adding the round nut / screw assembly. The hole size and location matches most manufacturers of angle Lock style of 6″ vises, so they can be used on most any 6″ angle lock style vise.

Anglelock = milling machine vise. Hrm.

Fireball calls out a 4" jaw with 2" hole spacing for 5/16" capscrews...

4" seems really small for that vise?

Here, have some overthinking:

Choices, choices- serrated hardened steel, machinable steel, aluminum.

I'm gonna try to go with jaws for something common. I don't want to screw around with an odd hole spacing/size in 45 years when I have to replace them!

• Jaw Type: Fits 6" Kurt Anglock Type Vises. Machinable Steel soft jaws with 8" extension length
  • Dimensions (Nominal): 8 x 2 x 1.5" (L x H x W) Extended length jaws for 6" vises only
  • Bolt Center Distance: 3.875"
  • Screw Size: 1/2 or M12

Anglelock = milling machine vise. Hrm.

Fireball calls out a 4" jaw with 2" hole spacing for 5/16" capscrews...

4" seems really small for that vise?
The vise in "the other shop" that the Fireball I will build will replace has a 4" center section and it flares out to a 6" jaw. The overhang on the sides is nice for something that gets clamped in vertically.
That 6" jaw vise will move to my shop one of these days and be mounted to a bench, the Fireball will be portable(ish) and be mounted on the baler flywheel (possibly with a forklift rim filled with cement mounted to it if I need more weight).

Aaron Z

I'm certainly interested in a set of the vise jaw holders. I like the look of those Wilton ones from Panz. 6ish" (and inch a side) would be awesome to get an inch a side for grabbing rod etc

I'm tempted to make the jaw plates wider than 4" and use a 6" or 8" jaw. Possibly offset to one side to be able to use it like an offset vise.

I can't see bending them if you make them out of 3/4" or 1" plate

AC6I7556__94872.1567807707.jpg

I'm tempted to make the jaw plates wider than 4" and use a 6" or 8" jaw. Possibly offset to one side to be able to use it like an offset vise.

I can't see bending them if you make them out of 3/4" or 1" plate .

:laughing: Neat idea!

Some triangles to back up the jaw holders would be easy enough...

Top Back Refresh