What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

Balls screw would be a no go. They are inherently nonlocking. Tighten up the vise one good hit on it and I feel it would loosen.

some/most of the acme nuts are real weak 12l14 steel

I know a puller I made for press-in wheel bearings only lasted about 5 uses before the 1"-10 acme nut stripped out

Balls screw would be a no go. They are inherently nonlocking. Tighten up the vise one good hit on it and I feel it would loosen.
Yeah, he shows them slip-sliding...and one at 2:13 with a fine pitch that won't.

some/most of the acme nuts are real weak 12l14 steel

I know a puller I made for press-in wheel bearings only lasted about 5 uses before the 1"-10 acme nut stripped out
Well, fuck. I did notice that the acme rod is available as carbon steel or alloy steel, while the acme nuts are only carbon steel.
Standard nuts form the parts list are "grade 8" McMaster-Carr

sigh If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.

go with the coarser thread and stack up two or three nuts and it'll prolly last long enough to beat the rest of the vise to death

ETA: all the "proper vise" nuts are cast iron and about 4" long of thread engagement

I went with 1"-8 all thread and used a coupling nut cause more thread engagement more better right? It is a little slow but works just fine for me.

I need to either cut down the 24" handle or put a set screw on it so I can spin it like a ship's wheel without it flying to one end and trying to knock me out. :homer:

I went with 1"-8 all thread and used a coupling nut cause more thread engagement more better right? It is a little slow but works just fine for me.

I need to either cut down the 24" handle or put a set screw on it so I can spin it like a ship's wheel without it flying to one end and trying to knock me out. :homer:
In this guy's thread I suggested he could have mounted this wheel/handle with a 1/4 turn of slop so it could be impact tightened like a Ridgid pipe threader chuck.

image (5).jpg
image (6).jpg

Almost tempted to go back to regular threaded, high strength rod and nuts.
There's a reason you don't see ACME threads on any puller (or similiar object) made in the last 20yr, even the nice ones. The better threadform doesn't make up for the economics of scale of buying a high grade of a standard threadform. Go up one size if you're worried about it.

I wouldn’t worry about it. The gorillas in my shop haven’t wrecked it yet. My thought is the unc will be stronger at first. But after a few years of use because of the lack of steel in the thread it will become weaker quicker. The acme has a ton of steel in the threads. All the old vices are acme thread.
The old vises are threading into cast iron that may as well be cheese compared to a modern grade 8 rod nut

McMaster caught my order on the way out the door, so I'm going UNC, 8tpi. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I got one more set of tubes left. I will order another set of 10 today. Might take a week or so to get them cut.

Sounds like a few sets have made it to their destination. So far all the pieces made it, the boxes not so much lol.

Unpossible, I thought they shipped as soon as the #'s were typed in!
Correction there are packing the items you still have in your cart :lmao:.

I don’t know how they do it but McMaster has to have the best order to delivery system of any supplier I have used. It’s the reason I’ll pay the McMaster tax.

Correction there are packing the items you still have in your cart :lmao:.

I don’t know how they do it but McMaster has to have the best order to delivery system of any supplier I have used. It’s the reason I’ll pay the McMaster tax.
This. They did manage to fuck up and ship one part separately a few weeks ago and it arrived 2 days after the rest of the order....and that was the first time that's ever happened with them. I ship random plumbing fittings and hardware to different jobsites several times a month. I've ordered at 8 pm and had it at the site by 10am the next day. :eek:

I need to do a little more reading today to refresh my understanding of thread pitch & torque vs. bolt tension. I'm kind of tempted to step down to 6tpi just to make the movement faster but I don't want to sacrifice a bunch clamping force....

If you need more clamping force, you can always put a big cheater bar on the handle.

I'm currently working in Atlanta and we just have everything couriered over. As long as everything states "ships today" we have the order in 3hrs or less. Company monies:flipoff2:

Anyone have the parts number list for a UNC kit from McMaster? I have flats and tubes coming from PF.

Anyone have the parts number list for a UNC kit from McMaster? I have flats and tubes coming from PF.
Full part list comes with the drawings from Fireball for $5.

Which we should all already have, if we're using their plans cut by PF.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 1.55.17 PM.png

OK. I ordered them last week. Haven't looked at them. Will do so.

This is sad I was looking at haas vf3’s on face book marketplace last night. I always wanted one of those. …. It’s crazy how “cheap” a cnc mill is. I’m used to everything costing 200k+ and that’s for the used shit :eek:.

Just peddle some stupid shit I have around the yard.

Buy a cnc mill to make a few vise parts what a :homer:. I do think if I get one my old Bridgeport will start rusting away.

Why a 3? 4's have the same external dimensions and 10" more travel in X.

Full part list comes with the drawings from Fireball for $5.

Which we should all already have, if we're using their plans cut by PF.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 1.55.17 PM.png
Thank you for the reminder. It was on my list, but I hadn't done it yet.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 07.51.28 AM Nov.24.21.png

Top Back Refresh