What's new

Firearm wait times

Aloharover

Gun Builder
Member Number
Loc
COS
Just a standard 4473 back ground check.
In CO even if you have a carry permit - you still have to do the back ground check.

With how few firearms are available for sale, I am shocked we are still seeing 3-5 days for a simple 4473.

I am telling all my customers, come over today and do the paperwork, plan on coming back in a week.

Just curious if this is nation wide or just here

Haven't done one since just before Christmas, took maybe 3 minutes then.

I've got something at the FFL right now though, I'll report back after I pick it up tomorrow.

Cool.. This is as of right now:

photo55278.png

Did one week before last and it took just a few minutes.

Probably a Colorado thing. Especially after the Boulder thing.:stirthepot:

Took me maybe 5 minutes to pick up an AR lower about 6 weeks ago. I do have my LTC though.

For years it was 4473 and a 10 day wait (cooling off period).

Then, a few years ago they came up with the “Hand gun safety certificate” as an additional requirement (stupid easy test taken at lgs). Then they came up with the “Firearm safety certificate” (another stupid easy test).

Now we need the California “Real ID”, Firearm safety cert, 4473, and the 10 day wait :homer:

It’s kind of entertaining to watch the first time gun buyers. “But... 60 minutes said it was easy to get a gun!?! :eek:

Fuck that noise. I think the longest I’ve had to wait was 10 minutes. I picked up a lower a couple days ago. Took about 6 minutes.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I went online for pistol purchase permit saturday before this past one, and had the permit back Thursday. I kept calling the gun store who had the pistol i wanted "coming in any day now" and still wasn't there today, so I called another store that had it, was in and out in less than a half hour.

I’ve never had to actually “wait” on one, I have a CHL and use my social though.

Colorado wait times have bee all over the place this last year. Think CBI was trying to use covid as an excuse as long as they could. This summer and fall I waited 3-4 days for a shotgun and glock. Two days for some lowers a day before election. And 10 minutes for a mini14 a few weeks before the Boulder bullshit. This time last year CBI fucked up and denied me while I was on a hunting trip. Want to fill like a dirt bag ? Have some jackoff counter jockey at Sportsman Warehouse tell you your shit got denied.

My schedule changed so I couldn't go yesterday. Stopped in this afternoon, I didn't keep track of time so because I got to chatting, but the background check was less than 5 minutes.

Also scored a box of normal price 45 ACP while I was there. :grinpimp:

It was almost like a made for TV drug deal. Whispering to ask if I needed any more 45, going to the back room to grab a box, then sneakily siding it across the counter to me, looking around to make sure no other customer saw. Mostly for show I'm sure, but it will keep me coming back. :D

(Untitled)

I have a few pieces available for others to enjoy.. and what goes in them. Entertaining reasonable offers...

attach367522.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a pistol Sunday.

It took longer to fill out the 4473 than it did to get approval.

15 minutes from first looking at it to walking out the door :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh