What's new

Finding an oil leak on a Gen V 454

DRTDEVL

Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Austin... TX? Nope. Minnesota!
Ok, I developed a HUGE oil leak, as in a quart every 100 miles or so. Every time I am on the throttle headed down the highway, it pours smoke out from under the truck. Everything gets coated within 30 minutes.

Here's what I have replaced or checked:

Replaced oil filter adapter gasket and o-ring (it had small leak)
Replaced valve cover gaskets (suspected decent leak out of right side at rear)

Looked EVERYFRIKKINWHERE for the source.

Its dry inside the bellhousing, so its not the rear main.

Oil cooler lines are new-ish and dry.

The starter gets covered, along with the knock sensor and all the wires on that side. The right side of the y-pipe crossover (new exhaust) is black from coked up oil on it. The tranny pan gets soaked in oil headed down the highway, but not in town.

I can sit there and rev the piss out of it to no avail, there will be no leak present. The moment I put a heavy load on it (hard acceleration, 60+ mph, or towing) it pisses out from somewhere on the right side.

Is it possible to have a crack in the block causing it? It can't be the head gasket... perhaps there is a galley plug I need to inspect?

Help? 😕

Last edited:
hmmmm...

im assuming there is not an oil cooler...

what is this in anyway?

This. Also check blowby pressure, I've seen that blow oil everywhere.

There isn't really any when sitting there and/or revving the engine. I ran it with the oil cap off, no pressure. Only mild steam coming out of the crankcase vent, but not pressurized. That is one of my fears, that there is something causing combustion pressures to enter the crankcase under load and forcing oil out somewhere.

Have you checked your oil pressure sending unit?

Not yet. I just picked up an inspection mirror (old one broke) today, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it. I have company coming in tomorrow through Monday, and I was planning to head to MS on Tuesday to pick up a Sprinter van, but it looks like I'll be doing that in my 98 Ram 1500 5.9 gasser instead. That's gonna be a slow trip back, since the 46RE can't tow a vehicle in OD. I can use the OD headed south with an 1800 lb car trailer, but it will fry the tranny if I try that coming home.

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll check the sender. If that's the culprit, I can get one by Tuesday, and should be able to replace it in a couple minutes and be on my way.

Aftermarket valve covers and / or breathers?

Imo, you need to be looking towards the front of the motor. How does the front of the motor look around the end of the intake and timing cover?

Aftermarket valve covers and / or breathers?

Imo, you need to be looking towards the front of the motor. How does the front of the motor look around the end of the intake and timing cover?

Nope. 100% stock setup.

The front of the engine is perfectly dry, no weeping or anything from anywhere. The oil on the pan is only on the sump, blown in from the side.

find the leak yet?

Nope.

I have replaced the o-ring on the dipstick tube, replaced the valve cover gaskets, cleaned everything, etc, but it eludes me. I took another truck on the trip last week, worked the weekend, and the dually has been on the back burner due to other more pressing projects that need to get done. I do, however, have everything on order to rebuild the front end, and I'll look into it again at that time. Until then, it sits, and I'll drive one of the Toyotas around.

Top Back Refresh