Finally bumping my shop power up to 200A

Landslide

Red Skull Member
Member Number
A9596DB0-B40A-46A5-9289-F6C2991B9DC7.jpeg
E19888E6-B35E-4EA3-B14F-F3A9536DCAAF.jpeg
F842A759-4D20-4D2F-8CC1-C9EA73670B2C.jpeg
D0AA91FB-F967-4283-840B-21916AA0CC63.jpeg
I’ve been planning on increasing my shop power from a sub panel 100A to full on 200A service. I plan on installing an HVAC system in my shop along with an outside wood burning furnace. My old inside wood furnace finally got wore out. Metal box cracking and warping up. So I bought a nice clean low used outside firechief outside furnace which is a forced air style, basically uses a blower motor on the unit and pulls air through a flexible insulated tube from the shop, heats it, then forces it back into the shop. I’ll use my electric furnace to maintain around 40* then use the wood furnace to increase the shop temp

power increase will allow welding and whatnot without worrying about overloading the service panel.

I was forced to do this much sooner then I was originally going at it. I was buying stuff that was left overs from other people’s jobs. I got my 200’ of 3” and 200’ of 2.5” electrical conduit off of CL. But earlier this year I got up to piss in the middle of the night and my bathroom lights wouldn’t turn on but I had outside lights on at my shop. So I go downstairs and check the circuit breakers and all were good. I had recently major remodeled my bathroom and knew my wiring was good but was like ?!? When the lights wouldn’t come on.

so I come up my staircase and hear my fridge making a buzzing noise so I unplugged it and called the utilities company. They came out around four hours later and around 30 min later my power came back on

so I leave my house going to work in the morning and see a large wire going from the pole at the street across my lawn to my meter box. They call to trench out my front yard to replace the wire that shorted out. It was direct bury from 1978. I put a stop order on them coming out and told them I’m going to bump my service from 200A to 380A.

Got with my buddy to help me and he pulled permits and got the rest of the supplies I needed to do this job. So I brought home a JD 50G and dig out a 400’ ditch from the utility pole to my house from my house to my shop. All are 200’ apart from each other.

in this process I’m replacing both service panels/breaker boxes in my house and my shop. Outside my house we installed a 400A meter box and my shop disconnect box next to it.

I mounted the new breaker box in my basement next to the old one in a better location easier to get to. Then we moved all the 110V circuits over to it and ran a jumper to power it up.

Tuesday I had the utility company come over and switch power from my old meter box to the new one. They were out a couple weeks ago and replaced the transformer preparing for the increased amperage needed for the service. While they were switching power I was moving the rest of the 220V breakers over to the new box

Then my buddy and I pulled wire down to my shop from the disconnect. Now the last phase is to replace my box in my shop and run the new feed into it and turn it on.

an awful lot of work but I feel a lot better about the upgrades.

7E343C81-5E66-422E-B39F-ECB37FA79E62.jpeg
A8342C91-6A53-4AA9-9A2D-0C3954CC2604.jpeg
97B89BDD-5826-4F36-B457-FFB409E987AD.jpeg
I ran new under ground air and water lines down to my shop also. My 5Hp 80gal compressor is in my house basement for Clement controlled environment

How can you possibly need 400 amps to your home or 200 amps to your shop?

How are you even going to pay for that much electricity?

How many people work in your shop?

It doesn't cost more to use the same an of electricity just because you have more amps available.

200A to the house and 200A to the shop. It was 200A to my house which I subbed off of that 100A down to my shop. Very sketchy if a lot of stuff is on at one time in the house and shop. Everything is all electric no gas.

just me in my shop mostly but I have some items that pull a bunch of power.

Top Back Refresh