What's new

Fawking Red Squirrels

TiTRD

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Wilmington, VT
:mad3:

I just built a nice rough cut shed and those fawkers have found a nice dry home. They chewed through the crack of the door on the hinge side and built a nest in the hood of one of my snowmobiles. I suspect they're probably up in my kayak in the loft too.

Any remedies to get rid of these fawkers? Yes I have a .22 and a .25 pellet gun, but I'm not sitting out in the snow waiting for them.

Click image for larger version Name:	20201205_125356.jpg Views:	0 Size:	781.9 KB ID:	239477

Dunno for res squirrel but i have ground squirrels bad and when they get bad i put blocks of tomcat out where they are getting under house or around shed, seems to kill most off fairly quick.
just sucks when they die under the house in mid august

Dunno for res squirrel but i have ground squirrels bad and when they get bad i put blocks of tomcat out where they are getting under house or around shed, seems to kill most off fairly quick.
just sucks when they die under the house in mid august

I think I'll try this and rat traps.

I restained the siding this summer and now I have one little fucker chewing the shit out of it

I live in a part of the world where you can't avoid squirrels, in the city in the country, you see a squirrel (dozens) each and every single day. The reds tend to stay out in the woods, but even then, after 50 years on Earth, I've never encountered a squirrel problem. The worst thing the squirrels do around here is gorge on your bird feeder if you don't set it up right.

Koros brand traps. or tube traps. Bait with whatever and set them right in front of the hole so they are forced to travel through the trap to get in and out. Done.

I live in a part of the world where you can't avoid squirrels, in the city in the country, you see a squirrel (dozens) each and every single day. The reds tend to stay out in the woods, but even then, after 50 years on Earth, I've never encountered a squirrel problem. The worst thing the squirrels do around here is gorge on your bird feeder if you don't set it up right.

Fun fact: There are no native Oaks in this part of Vermont, so we don't have gray squirrels. The reds eat pine cones, which we have an abundance of.

Koros brand traps. or tube traps. Bait with whatever and set them right in front of the hole so they are forced to travel through the trap to get in and out. Done.

The hole is about 6' up on the door. I'll have to get creative and build a shelf. Those traps look aggressive. I like it.

Fun fact: There are no native Oaks in this part of Vermont, so we don't have gray squirrels. The reds eat pine cones, which we have an abundance of.

Our red squirrels spend the majority of their time fucking up other squirrels. Red squirrels are rare in the city, I've personally never seen one, but I've heard of it. When I was tying flies, I've shot them before just for being assholes and there was no restriction. Left the meat, crows have to eat as well. Not particularly proud but it's the only red squirrel I ever shot and the tails and ears are great for floaters. And he was fucking up a really nice colony of blacks, best I've ever seen, not a gray in the bunch. What I really wanted to shoot were Blue Jays, but now I'm rambling.

Rat traps work on those little bastards.

Dont see them around here often, it’s usually the chipmunks and grays on the bird feeder. Had been seeing a black squirrel the past three years on the other side of the mountain. He showed up in my yard a few times this year.

I keep a .22 and a 20 gauge ready at all times, see one and kill it. Waging war on the red menace has been a full time job since I've been living here (8years). Its one of the few goals I have in life, same as Canadian geese, kill as many as possible.

You are in their house. They have all the time in the world to chew your shit while you're gone. You have to squirrel proof it. There are armys of those things.

Fuck poison, it doesn't just only kill squirrels but poisions eagle's and owls that eat them. Shoot or trap them if you want them gone.

My understanding is that stuff like Tomcat doesn’t create that problem.

the ball of an moth works fantastic
also hotel size bars of soap hanging from strings keeps em away

My understanding is that stuff like Tomcat doesn’t create that problem.

You are misinformed. Bromadiolone is toxic to mammals and birds through secondary ingestion. It may take several days for the original animal to die so it runs around with the poison in its system and when something else eats it, they get poisoned as well. Even if it dies where it can be scavenged, it still can affect other animals that consume it.

Get a Jack Russel.

The problem will take care of itself.

This, we have a rat terrier for this kind of shit. They are cooler than jack russells as well IMO. Maybe try to lure an owl to move into your she'd instead lol.

We got squirrels in out attic and we had to trap them out of there. Squirrels have multiple ways into their dens as well, so covering up one hole may not fix the fix the problem as they will have another way in, so look for thaf. Fuck poison for what others have said. Shoot them, then seal it up real good, see where you can install metal flashing and accept the fact it will be man vs squirrel for the rest of the time you live there.

You are misinformed. Bromadiolone is toxic to mammals and birds through secondary ingestion. It may take several days for the original animal to die so it runs around with the poison in its system and when something else eats it, they get poisoned as well. Even if it dies where it can be scavenged, it still can affect other animals that consume it.

Thanks for the info. I will be more careful where I use it in the future. I suspect that coyotes or one of our cats would be the most likely 2ndary ingestor around here but there are a lot of barred owls as well.

Top Back Refresh