What's new

Favorite old school rock crawler

simmons3067

Member Number
Post a pick of your favorite old school Jeep or buggy
A60ACAA3-F1F2-4C90-9154-32F294226AB7.jpeg

Sam Patton's old CJ was one of my favorites.
9899439.jpg

There was another one when I was a high schooler reading Peterson's that would always show up and was cool as hell. It was an all tube chassis "jeep" with the tubing painted yellow, the skins were orange or red or somewhere in there, it had an integrated cooler rack built into the back of the cage and it hauled ass. Can't remember what it was called or what pictures they had of it, but it was the first vehicle that made me realize you could build something that can go fast in the desert and still crawl well.

I wish i could find a pic somewhere.

I remember watching Sam’s CJ7 in top truck challenge. Very cool Jeep. It was the rock bouncer of the 90’s haha

I got the privilege to wheel with TJ Hooker on my friend's private land with is CJ on 44s. The same rig that won TTC 2002(?)

maxresdefault.jpg

I had a picture of his rig on the inside of my locker in high school. twenty years later, by chance, I end up spending the day wheeling with him.

On the Top Truck Topic. I got to wheel with Bob and his old M-37 years back at the hammers. Not a Jeep and not much of a rock crawler but a cool truck. I want to say he was in TTC 2001?
8B06AE3A-67F0-44C2-B4F6-B36537AEA696.jpeg

Last edited:
9899439.jpg

There was another one when I was a high schooler reading Peterson's that would always show up and was cool as hell. It was an all tube chassis "jeep" with the tubing painted yellow, the skins were orange or red or somewhere in there, it had an integrated cooler rack built into the back of the cage and it hauled ass. Can't remember what it was called or what pictures they had of it, but it was the first vehicle that made me realize you could build something that can go fast in the desert and still crawl well.

You thinking of this one? Randy Ellis.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/attachments/scott5-jpg.289496/

Last edited:
I was thinking of the red and yellow tubed jeeps from some company I can't remember...

Thompson Machine?
Something machine and gear?
Tri-state gear maybe

Too much mix of red and yellow but I dug those rigs

9899439.jpg

We must have been buying the same magazines. :laughing:

I think the first 2 I bought were the ttc where Sam Patton won and the petersons with the jeep I think you're talking about on the cover. I remember a bright orange tube chassis, red body with flames and big coil overs. I dug a Pic of that jeep up a little while ago, but I don't feel like doing it again :flipoff2:

Edit: nevermind, I guess I saved it to my phone.

9325119.jpg

I never noticed the drag link on this Jeep. It looks to be push pull with the box way back towards the firewall.
F5BACB75-6F68-4A7C-95BC-F28D594325DE.jpeg

I never noticed the drag link on this Jeep. It looks to be push pull with the box way back towards the firewall.
F5BACB75-6F68-4A7C-95BC-F28D594325DE.jpeg
Yes, I believe he was probably the first crawler person to try that. I don't know how successfull it was. I want to say that Jessie Haines attempted it on a KOH build much later and had some packaging problems with it.

It is funny how the Randy Ellis jeep and the Drews ultimate jeep were both state of the art at one point, and both ran D44s it looks like. Its crazy how things have changed!

In my head it’s a good idea. If it follows the same arc as the axle during movement would it eliminate bump steer?

Sam’s CJ was a huge inspiration for my own build. The scorpion opened my eyes to non-traditional builds along with Bill Vista’s tech articles.

Who owned that green willies in California that was famous for always wearing tevas? It was always in Petersens 4wd, big ass tires, simple clean cage, and low to ground.

Dude had long grey hair, glasses, and eventually bought a cherokee to tow it if I remember right?

I spent way too many hours of my younger life reading about it also.

Apparently there are a couple I was merging together. First was Rick Pewe’s which I guess inspired another one by Sebastian Varas in Chile.

I’ve never met either gentlemen but cool looking Willys/Ford GPWs and part of the culture that inspired my jeep hobby.

Last edited:
Sam's CJ and his performance in TTC were badass. The Scorpion got a lot of gears turning thinking outside the box.

My favoritest is Dan Dibble's buggy, though. He was the OG southern rock bouncer. Also had good build threads.

Tim C's Fat Girl is an aesthetic favorite of mine also.

I was thinking of the red and yellow tubed jeeps from some company I can't remember...

Thompson Machine?
Something machine and gear?
Tri-state gear maybe

Too much mix of red and yellow but I dug those rigs
Tri county gears little YJ was yellow body and blue cage.

Yeah probably it... I was thinking a red body with yellow tube work and wheels or vice versa for some reason.

download.jpeg

Yes, I believe he was probably the first crawler person to try that. I don't know how successfull it was. I want to say that Jessie Haines attempted it on a KOH build much later and had some packaging problems with it.

It is funny how the Randy Ellis jeep and the Drews ultimate jeep were both state of the art at one point, and both ran D44s it looks like. Its crazy how things have changed!
Pretty sure Randy or Shannon ran GM axles back in the day. I helped with TTC back eons ago, and I remember one of them had a 10 bolt (or maybe a 12 bolt, don't really remember, but it wasnt a D44)

Top Back Refresh