What's new

Fast blinker fix

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Just did this for the 3rd time, 90 4runner, 96 4runner and 92 pickup. Figured I'd copy this stuff over since Google only pulls up videos.

I had the fast blinker from hooking my front marker lights as blinkers. I installed LED tail lights and they went full tweeker :flipoff2: wouldn't even work when I applied the brakes.

Couldn't find much on Google, much less here. Almost every thread that came up people kept referencing the fix for the older trucks where you cut out a resistor or something, this will NOT work on the 81980-12070 relay. I found a few threads that mentioned using the ep35 relay, but no definite info. So here goes.

Go to autozone and buy the EP35 flasher relay a few guys said the Napa one worked and some guys said it didn't.

Pull the stock relay out located in front of your left knee on my 90 4runner (ep35 shown)

20141128_164507_zpswwoofjbk.jpg

Pull the little metal thing out with some pliers and the black adapter slides off. Note: you can plug the EP35 right into this adapter and it will NOT work at all.

20141128_164354_zps1bxcyqtg.jpg

Now just plug the EP35 into the factory plug, sans adapter. It will even hook onto the factory clip.

20141128_164448_zpsv4gc3asa.jpg

This worked so far in my 2nd gen 4runner, not sure how it will differ in yours. I believe the 81980-12070 relay came in a lot of different vehicles.

Resistor, you should be able to get a pair at any car accessory shop. Figure out what the oe bulbs you replaced with led draw and pick a size.

Low Range off road used to have resistors for this, not sure if they still do. Cheap and easy.

I hate LED resistors... They generate tons of heat, and offset much of the reduced current benefits of LED bulbs.

I've never had a rig where a direct replacement plug-in LED flasher didn't work. Toyota, Ford, Jeep, VW, etc.

Even my GX470, though that required the extra step of an OEM adapter harness, but now it has the Diode Dynamics SmartTap flasher.

Napa EL12 flasher is what I use in all my trucks. I go full LED so a regular flasher won't even pretend to work.

It's a 2 leg flasher so if it doesn't work in one rotation use the other one.

Top Back Refresh