What's new

Farm truck advice

Leadfoot21

Red Skull Member
Member Number
There always seems to be a wealth of knowledge on here for just about anything so I’m going to take a stab at it again . My brother and I are looking at a daycab for farm usage such as : hauling grain , equipment , hay , etc. We are looking on the cheap side of things like well under 10k cheap so that we can buy a trailer also . We thought we wanted a single axle but after doing some reading I THINK a tandem or twin screw will get around better in sticky situations and we won’t be so limited in our weight capacity . I’ve read good things about several different engines and such over the years been looking at big cam Cummins trucks , 60 series Detroit’s , even some smaller trucks had dt466e’s. I want some honest advice from guys with experience should we be going single or tandem ? And any recommendations on a setup are welcomed as well .

I believe during harvest season you can haul up to 90,000 without going over . The more we can haul safely the better. Here’s the deal the farm is in very rural area any where than pays good for corn or beans etc is a half hour to hour drive one way . One single load of corn can net over 1,000 in profit vs taking it to the local MFA 5-10 miles down the road . We have always used a crappy old gas grain truck and took it to MFA but my brother is trying to expand and advance the farm and taking on a lot more crops and a lot more cattle and I am his primary help when I’m available . He wants me to haul while he shells . We fell for a single axle international 4700 with dt466e and spicer 6 plus 1 because it was very nice and had all brand new virgin rubber, but we’re worried we will be wishing we had more truck . Completely agree about the rubber comment . Some of the trucks I looked at so far we’re great trucks but needed all 10 tires . I was told to call the local retread shop and ask about their used pile but haven’t tried .

I believe during harvest season you can haul up to 90,000 without going over . The more we can haul safely the better. Here’s the deal the farm is in very rural area any where than pays good for corn or beans etc is a half hour to hour drive one way . One single load of corn can net over 1,000 in profit vs taking it to the local MFA 5-10 miles down the road . We have always used a crappy old gas grain truck and took it to MFA but my brother is trying to expand and advance the farm and taking on a lot more crops and a lot more cattle and I am his primary help when I’m available . He wants me to haul while he shells . We fell for a single axle international 4700 with dt466e and spicer 6 plus 1 because it was very nice and had all brand new virgin rubber, but we’re worried we will be wishing we had more truck . Completely agree about the rubber comment . Some of the trucks I looked at so far we’re great trucks but needed all 10 tires . I was told to call the local retread shop and ask about their used pile but haven’t tried .
Lol your gonna need a tandem. No way are you gonna gross 90,000 on a single axle.

Your buying a truck but are worried about the tire cost? You prolly shouldn’t be owning a heavy truck if that’s the case. Recaps are 180 + casing up by me. New open shoulders are $350ish when a sale is on.

My best off road semi is a l9000 series 60 axle and wheel locks with the Henderson hockey puck walking beam suspension. Fucker rides like a lumber wagon when empty but will go just about anywhere in full lock mode.

Lol your gonna need a tandem. No way are you gonna gross 90,000 on a single axle.

Your buying a truck but are worried about the tire cost? You prolly shouldn’t be owning a heavy truck if that’s the case. Recaps are 180 + casing up by me. New open shoulders are $350ish when a sale is on.

My best off road semi is a l9000 series 60 axle and wheel locks with the Henderson hockey puck walking beam suspension. Fucker rides like a lumber wagon when empty but will go just about anywhere in full lock mode.
I think you’re confused and that’s ok . Nobody intended to pull 90k with a single axle . I was stating the Max you’re allowed to haul during harvest . The single axle we looked at was rated at 48k. I work on some tractor/trailers on a regular basis and I’m aware of the upkeep costs and tire costs . This is a farm rig recaps are legal in the rear it’s something that sits most of the year except one busy month of the year basically . So it doesn’t ever need virgin rubber …. And doesn’t have to pass DOT . I love the old l9000s and would love to find one but they have quite the following and seem to fetch a premium . What I was trying to say earlier was we had been looking at single axle but realize we are limited in how much we can actually haul so a tandem axle would make things a lot better with just the shorter amount of hauls to sell .

4700 DT466E is a fine truck, for its intended purpose. I know it's a right of passage for farmers to overload, but I wouldnt want to put 50k behind it. I drove those grossing <30k (24ft box), itll do the job but have patience. I'd look for a bigger tractor with the DT530 if you want to stay that platform.

You can find an 30 y/o cabover in decent condition for that price range. I hate Detroit and daytons, other people love them. Theres no right or wrong to this.

Depending how new you want, off lease 7-800k freighshaker day cabs run $10k. Grab one before they go to south america.

The 4700 truck is 6k and was a beverage truck very clean . I found two freightliners a good friend of mine owns he recently stopped running trucks for 3500 I can buy an auto or 13 speed Detroit trucks with sleepers and whatnot BUT they both have been sitting and need all 10 tires and all batteries to start . I know a guy that runs a heavy truck sales business and I went and looked at probably 20 trucks last weekend and they ranged anywhere from 2500-8k that I looked at … all perfectly capable . I just don’t want to regret the purchase or end up with something we wish we had more with . We would really like to find something automatic but it has been very difficult .

You don’t want a automatic if your going off-road. I have one and it’s forever getting stuck. You’ll want a manual.

I don’t want one my brother needs one if he is going to be able to use it he’s in a wheelchair and its his farm .

Quoted for truth. Neighbor has one and its a tank

Corn silage trucks are what I'm accustomed to, but our twin screw gas 13 speed C70 certainly walks all over the single axle T444E slushbox 4700 we were given. Both will haul 14 ton of green corn, but that C70 walks through the field with ease, and pounds up the road. Had to teach my father the trick of slight pressure on the cable ebrake in the 4700 when the ground gets soft.

I’m trying to talk him out of an auto and trying to drive in his condition . I don’t want him getting hurt or anyone else . We’re in go mode on finding a truck and they sell quickly .

Thought we had one bought tonight and sold it out from under us we had cash in hand and ready to go guy had already set up a time
And everything . People suck .

Thought we had one bought tonight and sold it out from under us we had cash in hand and ready to go guy had already set up a time
And everything . People suck .

Nah, unless the seller is someone who knows and trusts you then you're just some schmoe over the phone or email. They have zero guarantee that you won't no-show and waste their time, or show up and lowball at 50% and waste their time, or just kick tires and waste their time.

First person to put cash in hand gets whatever is for sale. If someone is on the way or scheduled for later I'll be nice and tell them that whatever they want is sold.

For an auto trans truck intended for farm work what about something like a M931 military truck? I keep thinking they are rated for 50-60K on rd with semi trailer and if you get the older non A2 model its an old 855 cummins which is slow but well suited to plodding around a farm with minimum maintenance required.

Nah, unless the seller is someone who knows and trusts you then you're just some schmoe over the phone or email. They have zero guarantee that you won't no-show and waste their time, or show up and lowball at 50% and waste their time, or just kick tires and waste their time.

First person to put cash in hand gets whatever is for sale. If someone is on the way or scheduled for later I'll be nice and tell them that whatever they want is sold.
I agree however the guy had talked to me a bunch and told me he could not meet this evening it had to be tomorrow so I told him I wanted to be first person there we had cash in hand he said no problem so on so forth I called to confirm time and he had sold it hours before he was lying to me the entire time while having other showings set up . If you’re going to lie about something that stupid I imagine he was hiding a lot of stuff on the truck as well .

I agree however the guy had talked to me a bunch and told me he could not meet this evening it had to be tomorrow so I told him I wanted to be first person there we had cash in hand he said no problem so on so forth I called to confirm time and he had sold it hours before he was lying to me the entire time while having other showings set up . If you’re going to lie about something that stupid I imagine he was hiding a lot of stuff on the truck as well .
That's not right IMO.
If I tell you that X date/time is the earliest you can come out, I wont sell it before then (unless its also by the side of the road and someone stops with cash in hand when I am home, but I will be upfront about that if asked).
Now, if I say that I am available on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and you choose Friday or Saturday, then someone else says that can come on Thursday, it might be gone before the time you set.

Aaron Z

Well we got a freightliner bought last night still have to pick it up but it’s ours and sounds like a solid deal . twin screw , Cummins , wet kit , setup to haul any trailer you can think of . Cummins etc

Well we got a freightliner bought last night still have to pick it up but it’s ours and sounds like a solid deal . twin screw , Cummins , wet kit , setup to haul any trailer you can think of . Cummins etc

Too bad I missed this thread.

Buying a semi is not like buying a light duty truck. You are hauling commercially, its a whole different set of rules and regulations. There are so many different things to look over on CMV.

If you haven't picked up that Freightshaker yet, I have a 99 International that is perfect for what you need. N14/10spd.

That would of been perfect we did pick up the freightliner it’s an L10 truck . We can always sell and upgrade after harvest season if need be . I still wouldn’t mind hearing about it .

I guess I shouldn't say I have it, but an aquaintence of mine has it for sale locally. He knows fuck all about cmv's. I was going to buy the truck last year and run it before I bought my 379. Off the top of my head, for it to haul a load it will need tires, atleast 1 wheel seal, possibly brakes, an alignment which might turn into kingpins and bushings in the front end.

How many loads with a poverty wagon are y'all looking to run per day?

I thought I had a pic of it, but I guess I deleted it. I'll grab a pic tonight when I go get my trailer.

Now if only we can get a hopper trailer by Friday lmao

Just an update . We got very lucky and happened upon a great deal on a 30ft jet hopper bottom trailer in great shape at the right price late in the week . Corn tested dry enough to shell and we got everything ready to go . We had one used tire put on the trailer and rolled on . The truck and trailer performed great I pulled several 80k loads to town with no issue the truck pulled hard despite people saying the L10 would be underpowered and I caught onto driving the truck quickly and the only difficulties I had were in downshifting honestly I got a little bit booked I really enjoyed driving the truck and it was like living out a childhood dream lol

I thought I had a pic of it, but I guess I deleted it. I'll grab a pic tonight when I go get my trailer.
20210604_124348.jpg
20210604_124628_HDR.jpg

That is a very nice truck . The one he picked up is uglier than sin but seems to be a solid runner . I don’t think he will keep it long term .

Top Back Refresh