What's new

Faded Trailer VIN ID tags

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Have looked at a few used trailers over the last week or so. A lot of the VIN tag stickers are getting pretty faded from being in the sun for a few years now. Do trailer manufacturers stamp the VIN in the frames anywhere also? How do you verify the paperwork you are getting with a trailer actually matches the trailer when the tag is sun bleached out?

Yes, many manufacturers stamp or weld the vin# somewhere on the tongue.
I was hoping that was the case.. I looked at a '03 PJ 20k 20+5 and the VIN sticker was almost completely white from sun bleaching.

I've never owned a trailer with a tag on it, all mine have been written in weld on the frame.

My 2021 enclosed trailer seems to only have a white sticker stuck to the tongue with the Vin. I didn't look all that hard but I didn't notice it stamped anywhere.

My Starlight was that way when I bought it several years ago. I faxed them a copy of the title and they sent me an engraved aluminum plate.

I picked up an Economy brand trailer a few years ago with a faded vin sticker very cheap. He had gone to get it inspected and they would not inspect it since the vin was faded. I stamped the vin# in the tongue and went on my way with it. Seemed super dumb that they don’t stamp, weld or put an engraved plate on them at the factory.

Who gives a fuck? Buy a VIN tag on eBay. Many sellers offer them stamped with whatever you want for a small fee. Make it match your paperwork.

Top Back Refresh