What's new

Facebook Marketplace Scam?

Lee

Guild of Calamitous Intent
Member Number
Loc
The Natural State
Someone is pretending to sell my ratty old Dodge.

That's my truck, my picture, it's not for sale (well if someone will pay that for it, I'll sell it), has WAY less miles than that, and isn't anywhere near Oregon.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9157267566148/

What's the angle? It's a scam, because that truck is in my driveway as I type this, but what's the scammers goal? Edit: I guess with the "blinker fluid" and "I know what I got" comments, maybe it's an attempt at humor?

For the Facebook differently abled.
Click image for larger version Name:	Bender Scam.PNG Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	348566

normally Id say its a scam, but It looks like the description is a straight comedy act based around diesel pricing. So I'm going with not a scam, someone just looking for some fun.

I believe you can send payment via FB. They are probably counting on that.

He's probably going to come steal it as soon as he gets a decent offer

Probably comedy. Most of the scams I see have stupid low prices and you always have to email their sisters cousin.

Yeah, I think it's an attempt at humor. Once I got over the surprise of seeing it for sale. I kind of feel attacked, it's a mean girls scenario.

I messaged the "seller," they've seen my message, but haven't responded.

it's either someone you know playing a joke on you, which they could have done better, but still pretty funny.

Or it is a scam and they are looking for someone to just put a deposit down to hold it or pay for it outright.

I think marketplace is offering buyer protection now so he will probably ask for cash app or something like that.

I miss my old 12 valve. you want to sell it? :lmao:

I'll make you a deal, the ad is wrong, it's an '89, 3 owners, only has 84K miles (Odometer may be on it's 2nd trip around???), had the VE pump rebuilt a year ago, reman injectors around the same time. It's got power everything, that you could have powered in '89, and most of it works. Driver door is from a donor truck, and is red. New weather strip, door lock actuators, window motors, and door window felts/wipers, all the dash lights work, and are LED now. Irate friends and family deal, $8,000, no low balls, I know what I got. :lmao: :flipoff2:

I'll throw in a good used HX35 and 2nd Gen intercooler, and air horn.

I believe you can send payment via FB. They are probably counting on that.

If they were trying for that they'd be using a much better looking vehicle at a much more attractive price.

I'll make you a deal, the ad is wrong, it's an '89, 3 owners, only has 84K miles (Odometer may be on it's 2nd trip around???), had the VE pump rebuilt a year ago, reman injectors around the same time. It's got power everything, that you could have powered in '89, and most of it works. Driver door is from a donor truck, and is red. New weather strip, door lock actuators, window motors, and door window felts/wipers, all the dash lights work, and are LED now. Irate friends and family deal, $8,000, no low balls, I know what I got. :lmao: :flipoff2:

I'll throw in a good used HX35 and 2nd Gen intercooler, and air horn.

Damn I gave mine away, 6500 :eek: and it had brand new 37 mudders and the flat bed was new-ish.

Probably comedy. Most of the scams I see have stupid low prices and you always have to email their sisters cousin.

[decent looks project rig listed for $1,900]

FACEBOOK WON'T LET ME POST REAL PRICE - ASKING $19,000 - NO LOW BALLERS

Damn I gave mine away, 6500 :eek: and it had brand new 37 mudders and the flat bed was new-ish.

It's on new 285/75-16 General X3s and some used AR Bajas, even has all 32 new lug nuts, and they're even on the studs. That's got to add $3K right?

Ignore the required hood pins, because Bubba opened the hood with a crowbar at some point, or the fact that there are 2 extra holes in the hood, from whoever did the hood pins originally drilling the holes in the wrong spot.

20191011144532-e0b822d9-me.png - Click image for larger version Name:	20191011144532-e0b822d9-me.png Views:	0 Size:	686.3 KB ID:	348702

Scam. Its all about getting that initial electronic down payment of $1k or whatever. Or push you to a site for a "carfax like check" that steals your info (they were pushing NAR last time, its the "carfax trick" apparently). It just steals your info.

FB has tons of scammers. I've heard of people scamming on renting apartments. They'll just pick an address and random photos, put it up, then ask for $200 to "secure a viewing" that will be refunded or will be the security deposit. Its all fake. Scammer takes the $200 and never follows through on anything.

Scam. Its all about getting that initial electronic down payment of $1k or whatever. Or push you to a site for a "carfax like check" that steals your info (they were pushing NAR last time, its the "carfax trick" apparently). It just steals your info.

FB has tons of scammers. I've heard of people scamming on renting apartments. They'll just pick an address and random photos, put it up, then ask for $200 to "secure a viewing" that will be refunded or will be the security deposit. Its all fake. Scammer takes the $200 and never follows through on anything.

No one is getting scammed on a 630k mile Cummins with rotted out cab for $9000. And if they are, they fucking deserve it. :flipoff2:

This one looks like a joke. Probably making fun of all the idiots selling junk for overpriced and did a google image search for "rusty truck" or something. Price is too normal, joke description, etc.

Scam that seems to be going around is listing something on FB at a stupid low price. Then if you contact its some "I'm selling it for my dad/mom/etc whos in the hospital just PPFF or FB pay me the money and I will tell you where to pick it up" Its always an amazing price to make you get the buy it before someone else does feeling.

It's on new 285/75-16 General X3s and some used AR Bajas, even has all 32 new lug nuts, and they're even on the studs. That's got to add $3K right?

Ignore the required hood pins, because Bubba opened the hood with a crowbar at some point, or the fact that there are 2 extra holes in the hood, from whoever did the hood pins originally drilling the holes in the wrong spot.

just looked up my old trucks details, I gave 1500 for it running and driving. needed a fender and both rockers, did that myself. Did a few little things to the pump that really woke it up, shortened the throttle cable, etc. Put the new flat bed on it. Late model wheels and 37 tires. rhino lined the exterior(which really pissed off the previous owner, he said he wouldn't have sold it to me if he had known I would do that :laughing:). miles were mid 200k's. it was a 93 LE with all power options. i really do miss it.

This one looks like a joke. Probably making fun of all the idiots selling junk for overpriced and did a google image search for "rusty truck" or something. Price is too normal, joke description, etc.

Scam that seems to be going around is listing something on FB at a stupid low price. Then if you contact its some "I'm selling it for my dad/mom/etc whos in the hospital just PPFF or FB pay me the money and I will tell you where to pick it up" Its always an amazing price to make you get the buy it before someone else does feeling.

And always a weird price, it seems like. Not $9000, they use $9,432. I don't get why- maybe in Nigerian it seems more legit if it's not rounded?

Top Back Refresh