What's new

F450 Haul Truck

I'm 6'6". I kind of fit in this truck, but I really feel like a normal size person in a 4th gen, reg cab RAM.
It just so happens that I have one. *you can see it in the background when I finished the hitch.
This is Irate, so my idea isn't that far fetched.

A: Continue building the Ford and build a skirted flatbed. Eventually converting it to 4x4.
I own it for $16k

or

B: Sell the Ford, use the RAM which is studded, injectors, CP3, dual disk (yes it's a 6 speed), build a flatbed and swap in a set of 450 axles that I already have.
I own it for $25k

I don't want a standard trans/automatic debate, both have their pros and cons. I'm really looking for unbiased oppinions.
The RAM is more comfortable and easier to work on, which will probably be the biggest arguments. Whereas the Ford is SEXY, already set up with the powertrain, but will take a lot of trial and error to get right.

Help me out.
The downsides I see would be A "relying on a Fiat product that has been "tuned" to make money" and B getting the legal rating to be able to carry a equivalent amount of weight in the Ram as in the F450.

IMO you would be better off adding 4WD to the F450 if you want 4WD vs swapping axles and trying to convince a cop on the side of the road that your lifted Ram SRW 3500 is really good to handle 18,160# on the back axle.

Aaron Z

Will the ram be legal towing what you want with it?

How's the gearing shake out?

I'm 6 inches shorter than you and feel kinda catastrophic in that reg cab with the huge dash, console, clunky door panels etc, being 6 6 in one, f that:laughing:

What are your realistic towing weights and axle weights? That thing is probably geared to gross 36k or something, are you towing 10k with it or 25k? Short runs and don't care about burning fuel? Or chasing down cars one at a time 100 miles away?

Maybe a crew cab srw dodge is the right tool for the job

I’ll buy the 450 for $6k. :flipoff2: I have zero need for one, but I want one…

I wonder if something like this would solve your cab size and ride issues. I‘d have to think they aren’t as thick as factory seats so they could be moved back a little bit more, not sure how much the suspension system would help the bumps.

Last edited:
One thing I like is that Ford still offers a true ex cab, I've had 2 aluminum Ford excabs for work and own 2 crew cabs. Obviously the crew cabs are nice with a full family or carrying people often, but the excab is perfect for a work rig. Little extra space for your jacket or whatever, and you also carry people when you have to.

Those ram, I mean RAM single cabs are roomy, but I hat how giant the doors are, you get on a slight incline and open the door it's going to take whatever is there out.

II'd be worried about eating up that 6 spd with a built 6.7 and badass clutch.

II'd be worried about eating up that 6 spd with a built 6.7 and badass clutch.
that's what happened to a friend. built a badass motor, put in the super most badassness clutch he could get, wasted it on the dyno tuning.

that's what happened to a friend. built a badass motor, put in the super most badassness clutch he could get, wasted it on the dyno tuning.
i just installed a dual disk clutch in a truck thats getting sent to a performance shop to get way too much power and i told the guy he should have went with a single disk so instead of blowing up the nv5600 the clutch slips :laughing:

Top Back Refresh