What's new

F250 460 power steering upgrade

frickn yahoo

Member Number
Loc
MD
Hey guys,

I added a PSC ram assist to my D60 swapped 89 F-250 460. Im running 40's and a front spool. Figured it would help, But if anything it now feels worse. Steering wheel feels very tight and lagging. Only feels slightly better if i give it some RPMs. Im guessing its a lack of flow issue with the ram and all with the stock PS pump.

Went digging for upgrades, and of course the saginaw pump is out there, But locating a Van 460 bracket for my motor is almost impossible.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Make your own bracket?
88 351 vans had the Saginaw pump...

Somebody on the old site had a great write up on the ps pump from the ford rv chassis, they call it a p53 or something

I ended up finding my bracket on eBay. Just had to keep looking. Yes it cost me a mint, but it was easier than going to dozens of junkyards and coming up empty.

Make your own bracket?
88 351 vans had the Saginaw pump...

Somebody on the old site had a great write up on the ps pump from the ford rv chassis, they call it a p53 or something
I did see a build where a dude milled his out for the pump, looked like he removed a-lot of meat out of the aluminum. Id be worried about strength

Figured Id update this for anyone researching...

Ended up finding a 95 E350 460 bracket and Saginaw pump. Pump looked and smelled questionable, and i wanted the best performance possible, so i ordered a high preformance PSC pump. Part number #SP1401. Along with a new 95 E-350 pressure line. Used my trucks pulley. Only thing that was different was the AC bolts are smaller on the van so grab them aswell.

Threw it all in today, and a HUGE difference. Didn't even have to bend the stock e350 line up, it routed in nicely. Had to do some small mods for the return line, but very easy install. It now turns 40's on pavement like a stock truck. No lag or anything. Its also extremely quite. Now Im worried about my stock KP knuckles.....

IEClhnhVTmWN7I8kRs3etw.jpg

I bough the cheapest Cardone Saginaw pump from rockauto and it's louder than my old Ford pump! Lol.. But at least it turns now.

Going to try a different fluid.

FWIW, my local parts store quite handling A1 Cardone products because of the high warranty rate, basically everything came back.

I bough the cheapest Cardone Saginaw pump from rockauto and it's louder than my old Ford pump! Lol.. But at least it turns now.

Going to try a different fluid.
Tractor fluid

I'm going to try regular "power steering fluid", I've heard the Saginaw pumps don't much like atf like Ford uses for whatever reason.
Tractor fluid holds up to heat better and foams less than power steering fluid. I’ve been using it for 20 years.

im running a KRC pump, no hydro assist, yet,
KPD60 with a ratchet locker but only 37's

17097322_1685407304809704_3709465046566511225_o.jpg

Top Back Refresh