What's new

Exterior house paint changing color

Baconator

Member Number
I bought 5 gallons of Sherwin Williams Latex exterior house paint last summer, but never got around to painting the house.
Fast forward to may and I have a spare sunday so I start painting, I got about 3/4 the way done and had to walk away from it until today.
Open up the same bucket of paint, mix it up and start painting. Once it dries its a much lighter color of paint, seems like a totally different color of paint.
WTF gives? Its been ~8hrs, so should be plenty dry by now. When I painted in may it was the same color within 30 minutes.

The paints been stored in my garage in the sealed bucket since May. There is about 2.5 gallons left.
Picture shows the 2 boards in the middle painted today, below that are boards I painted in May.

IMG-3004.JPG

Always get them shaken. You can take it back to SW and they'll shake it.

I have sworn off SW paint. Stuff is absolute garbage. Hopefully that doesn't peel off in sheets after you're done. Behr Marquee is what I use now.

Shaken, not stirred.

:homer:

I have no idea

I did both... Shook the hell out of it to start with, didnt match. Then I pulled the top off and stirred the shit out of it, then shook it again.

After a year you need the shit stirred off of the bottom. Take it back to SW and have them shake the shit out of it.

Chalk is separating from the catalyst and the pigment is now volatile. Shit paint has a lot of chalk in it, which means less paint solids.

It might be toast since there's no regrinding solids.

Always get them shaken. You can take it back to SW and they'll shake it.

I have sworn off SW paint. Stuff is absolute garbage. Hopefully that doesn't peel off in sheets after you're done. Behr Marquee is what I use now.

What are you smoking, I’ve used both and behr marquee is horrible. Takes multiple coats and faded really fast. What are you painting it on?

so far sw has been the least sucky paint, least sucky not the best. Haven’t found the best yet.

What are you smoking, I’ve used both and behr marquee is horrible. Takes multiple coats and faded really fast. What are you painting it on?

so far sw has been the least sucky paint, least sucky not the best. Haven’t found the best yet.

It doesn't matter what you paint. SW has become garbage paint. I painted my kitchen, dining room, and hallway with Emerald. They said it was washable, BS, it chips with the slightest hit (I hit the wall with a rubber band and it chipped off the paint), now my rooms look like absolute garbage. I switched to Marquee and it covers in one coat, and holds up extremely well with two boys in the house.

I'd use Benjamin Moore, but no shop nearby.

It doesn't matter what you paint. SW has become garbage paint. I painted my kitchen, dining room, and hallway with Emerald. They said it was washable, BS, it chips with the slightest hit (I hit the wall with a rubber band and it chipped off the paint), now my rooms look like absolute garbage. I switched to Marquee and it covers in one coat, and holds up extremely well with two boys in the house.

I'd use Benjamin Moore, but no shop nearby.

Oh gotcha. We’ve been using the cashmere and it’s not bad. I’ve heard good things about benjamin moore but its not convenient either.

what makes the paint better vs not good?

Oh gotcha. We’ve been using the cashmere and it’s not bad. I’ve heard good things about benjamin moore but its not convenient either.

SW Cashmere was always my favorite. As far as I know, it's still decent. Emerald is a heaping pile of shit.

I'm surprised you didn't like Behr Marquee, though. It spreads like Cashmere in my opinion.

Like Trampas said, maybe chalk content. I don't know. I used to strictly only use Sherwin Williams, and just within the past three years I have noticed a huge difference in quality.

Solids content vs volumetric filler. Unfortunately, medium priced consumer paints are guilty of adding too much chalk agent into the grind. Why are paint solids so valuable as to not make a better end product and reduce chalk content, I don't know. Once the two components are ground up with a catalyst, all bets are off so far as longevity in a pail. Valspar used to make only premium paints, but even they dipped into the low end market. Pratt & Lambert, the same.

If I were to buy a paint product nowadays for something other than a rental, I'd look into a Sinclair dealer and whip out my wallet. The line of products from them has always been high end. They even used to carry high solids paints, marked "high solids" right on the label.

I'm not sure where you live and how cold it gets there, but I was told that letting it freeze will ruin it. Was it stored outside in freezing temps?

On edit- NM, I see you painted the previous part this May.

I'm not sure where you live and how cold it gets there, but I was told that letting it freeze will ruin it. Was it stored outside in freezing temps?

On edit- NM, I see you painted the previous part this May.

My only thought was that it got too hot, its been sitting in the corner of my garage, it probably gets 100 in there regularly.

Top Back Refresh