What's new

Exploring abandoned/illegal/dangerous places thread

WTF am I looking at. Looks like two people and a dog.. so no 35% is cool. But hey, no judging..

Hotel Bret Harte at Deer View.
123145667_2428800957424905_2368824322305409897_n.jpg
123075782_2428801020758232_2620626999107349511_n.jpg
123083705_2428801044091563_2636714615002972829_n.jpg
123095536_2428801080758226_4501046223064885540_n.jpg
123204489_2428801150758219_8562617831346998162_n.jpg

I tried finding that shit one day and couldn't, fun drive though.

I tried finding that shit one day and couldn't, fun drive though.
Let me know in advance next time and I'll show you. I've been wanting to get back out there. Not sure if it was legal or not taking the SXS in there or not. I can't get a clear answer if ATVs are allowed on Sand Mtn Blvd either.

I'm assuming east on 193 from Auburn Ca is the best route ?

Best spot to unload quads / motorcycles or is there a main highway ends up close to the ruins ?

I'm assuming east on 193 from Auburn Ca is the best route ?

Best spot to unload quads / motorcycles or is there a main highway ends up close to the ruins ?
The access is just a dirt road between Wentworth Springs Rd and Mosquito Rd. The last section of trail to the ruins is pretty narrow (a SxS will fit...), but I am not 100% sure if it's legal or not. I don't see it on the maps.

I like the Abandoned and Forgotten places YouTube series where he explores old mine shafts mainly in the South West.
He also gives a little history on each mine, what ore was mined there, how long it was in operation and such.

I have some old ass Forrest maps ...
When you say tween Wentworth and Mosquito
so tween hwy 4 and hwy 50?

I have some old ass Forrest maps ...
When you say tween Wentworth and Mosquito
so tween hwy 4 and hwy 50?
No, It’s a bit north of the town of Mosquito and south of Wentworth Springs Rd, East of Georgetown.
I did find a FS map and it looks like the main dirt road, Sand Mountain Blvd is street legal vehicles only.

Reactions: Clb
Out in the middle of BFE I personally wouldnt worry about street legal vehicles only, run what ya brung, is my POV.

No, It’s a bit north of the town of Mosquito and south of Wentworth Springs Rd, East of Georgetown.
I did find a FS map and it looks like the main dirt road, Sand Mountain Blvd is street legal vehicles only.

The access is just a dirt road between Wentworth Springs Rd and Mosquito Rd. The last section of trail to the ruins is pretty narrow (a SxS will fit...), but I am not 100% sure if it's legal or not. I don't see it on the maps.
Take 12N59H East off "Dirt" Mosquito road for that spot, not much left these days as Asshole Vandals have been fucking it up the last 3 to 4 years...
Teryx at Deerview.jpg

Last edited:
Take 12N59H East off "Dirt" Mosquito road for that spot, not much left these days as Asshole Vandals have been fucking it up the last 3 to 4 years...
Yeah, it’s too bad about the trash and graffiti. From what I understand, it was stripped pretty good when they originally tore it down.

There was a group that got on to the Mothball Fleet in Suisun bay. Those ships used to fascinate me when driving over the Benicia bridge growing up. The pictures they took were incredible

I remember driving over the bridge as a kid when there were a ton of ships anchored out there. The one I always remember seeing was the Glomar Explorer. The history of that ship is a pretty wild story. Built undercover by CIA to snatch a sunken russian navy sub 10,000 feet down on bottom of the ocean. Check out 'Project Jennifer' aka 'Project Azorian' doc on netflix, youtube, etc.

There was also the 'Hughes mining barge' out there, it was used to build and attach the 'claw' for the glomar explorer. After it was mothballed, they used the mining barge to store the 'Sea Shadow' - an experimental stealth ship. At the time was top secret navy technology, then it was just sitting out there rusting away in a floating scrap yard.

SeaShadow-from-Below.jpg

My best man had a 30+' bayliner that we were anchored in the area, fishing for dino's , experienced anchor drag at zero dark thirty only to find a grey wall out the window:eek:
I think it is a shame we sold that stuff to scrap!

I remember the painting crew had a paint gun? (cannon Really) that shot something like an 8'+ fan off a platform back when we had them on "active reserve"...

URBEX Forums

These guys are the irate4x4 of abandoned places. Been following things there for 20+ years, started back in the dialup days. :smokin:

This is the rabbit hole (Alice in Wonderland style) of urbex so be prepared. I've spent >days< reading threads on there...

:flipoff2:
Thanks a lot...been on that site a lot since you posted it. Like I needed a new hobby.

I've heard the rumor that the town I live in had an underground area full of tunnels and shops down town where the darkies did their business during segregation times. I'd be interested to find that and have looked on and off for some sign of access for a few years to no avail. I can't find anything online about it, but I remember reading something one time that the main street shops had a set of stairs or a ladder in the back that descended into this maze. Would be awesome to explore that someday.

Top Back Refresh