What's new

Exploring abandoned/illegal/dangerous places thread

In high school we used to go party in these old bunkers by the golden gate bridge. They were not fenced off very well and you could crawl in there and check it out. They were these old cannon installations to defend from ships coming to invade SF, there are a few of them yp there still and they have underground barracks and munitions storage
I’ve been at a bunch of those within the last couple years. I’ll have to dig up my pictures.

I was one of the last to leave Ft. Clayton. They remodeled all of the buildings first. Our barracks were shit until about a year out we got to move next door to the one they just finished. They were nice, we lived in shit.

Brand new just to give it back. Clayton turned into some sort of education area so at least they are using the buildings.

Lots of pipe got laid in barracks rooms in Panama. LOTS! It was fun '94 -'98.
I was in Quarry Heights as a Dependent just before Noriega got his just deserts. Had a bunch of Zonie friends. It was a wild time to be there. Panamanian women liked tall blond American men. ;) We were all over the bases. The old French Cut was on Rodman IIRC and we used to jump off the sides into their attempt at a canal. There were old Magazines for Artillery and other random Military equipment all over the place that we explored. Usually until the MPs found us...

Towards the end there were riot/protests by paid agitators for CNNs benefit. Pretty sketchy. I left for school a couple months before the invasion.

When we gave it back it was the end of a way of life. Americans had lived there for generations keeping the canal running. Very sad to see the hand over.

A lot of those abandoned places on that you tube channel are surprisingly clean.

Back before 9/11, Had a crazy high school buddy come visit for a month. I told him I would show him around. What better way than to climb some local cell towers here in Raleigh.:smokin: Used to be able to walk right up to them. We had it down to an art. 2500 feet took 3.5 hours up, 45 minutes back down. We packed a lunch. Anything less was just an evening event. Learnt a lot about them.

Knightsplay/Hwy 64 tower 2000 feet
Blaney Franks Road tower 1500 feet
Twin Johnston County towers we did the one to the east 2500 feet
New Bern Ave tower 2000 feet

You can tell the height by the different colors. Each color change represents 500 feet. Usually red and white.
You can hear a whisper from anyone on the ground coming from upwind. (Knightsplay golf course)
The very top is where the men and boys get separated. You have pegs on each side / no safety cage.
You can feel the energy up on top every time the light at the top blinks.
Probably shortened our lifespan from all the electric exposure.
Under 700’ there’s seven alternating orange/white sections, starting and ending with orange. Towers more than 700’ use orange/white for every 200’, starting/finishing with orange. A 2000’ tower would have 21 alternating sections, about 95’ per color.

Back before 9/11, Had a crazy high school buddy come visit for a month. I told him I would show him around. What better way than to climb some local cell towers here in Raleigh.:smokin: Used to be able to walk right up to them. We had it down to an art. 2500 feet took 3.5 hours up, 45 minutes back down. We packed a lunch. Anything less was just an evening event. Learnt a lot about them.

You can tell the height by the different colors. Each color change represents 500 feet. Usually red and white.
You can hear a whisper from anyone on the ground coming from upwind. (Knightsplay golf course)
The very top is where the men and boys get separated. You have pegs on each side / no safety cage.
I would love to climb those. I don't because I don't want to be that close to the transmitters.

There was a group that got on to the Mothball Fleet in Suisun bay. Those ships used to fascinate me when driving over the Benicia bridge growing up. The pictures they took were incredible

srl8WAtbnlZ5EyZril7kqMqeDj7ILKUfiBH333VprS7tkuhVHg.jpg

Under 700’ there’s seven alternating orange/white sections, starting and ending with orange. Towers more than 700’ use orange/white for every 200’, starting/finishing with orange. A 2000’ tower would have 21 alternating sections, about 95’ per color.
That's not what I recall but I don't have anything to prove differently without going back out there again. I do remember the ones around here in NC are definitely red and white though, definitely not orange.

I searched for pics and nothing comes up. You'd have to do this to me wouldn't ya.:laughing: Now I have to go back.

Hate telling you this but the red/white doesn't represent 500' It is based on how tall the tower is then separated into 7 equal parts or 13 if I remember right the taller you get. Been awhile since I had to paint one and that is probably the worst job in the tower industry.

I was in Quarry Heights as a Dependent just before Noriega got his just deserts. Had a bunch of Zonie friends. It was a wild time to be there. Panamanian women liked tall blond American men. ;) We were all over the bases. The old French Cut was on Rodman IIRC and we used to jump off the sides into their attempt at a canal. There were old Magazines for Artillery and other random Military equipment all over the place that we explored. Usually until the MPs found us...

Towards the end there were riot/protests by paid agitators for CNNs benefit. Pretty sketchy. I left for school a couple months before the invasion.

When we gave it back it was the end of a way of life. Americans had lived there for generations keeping the canal running. Very sad to see the hand over.
I loved the canal zone. I can truly say it's the happiest place I've ever lived. I was there post Noriega, Panamanians loved us and we loved them back.:smokin:

There was a group that got on to the Mothball Fleet in Suisun bay. Those ships used to fascinate me when driving over the Benicia bridge growing up. The pictures they took were incredible

srl8WAtbnlZ5EyZril7kqMqeDj7ILKUfiBH333VprS7tkuhVHg.jpg
That was my Dads last job in the Navy after WW2. Working on Decommisioning them.

Hate telling you this but the red/white doesn't represent 500' It is based on how tall the tower is then separated into 7 equal parts or 13 if I remember right the taller you get. Been awhile since I had to paint one and that is probably the worst job in the tower industry.
At the ages of 22 yo, and absolutely no records available, that was our best assumptions at the time.

But I can contest that the towers we climbed were red and white in 1996. Weather they have painted them orange since then I have no idea. I don't live in South Raleigh anymore to tell you. All the ones towards the environmentalist side of town towards Durham have fake tree limbs coming off them.:homer:

We figured the colors represented an even foot mark during erection. Guessed 100' or 500'. There's absolutely no records online. These things are a bit secretive.

And I honestly came to work this morning to chit chat a bit and to get some work done. Not to divulge into cel tower studies. They really don't excite me much to know about them. Being I'm not an arguing man especially over something I don't know much about, and the fact I didn't want to have to drive an hour out of my way to prove a color, how about we just accept the word from the dude that paints them as golden.:beer:

But we climbed them bitches!!! And the silo's at Blaney Franks just for kicks.

Amazingly in the 90's there was no fence around them. You walked right up to them. I'm guessing this day it's a bit different story.

That's not what I recall but I don't have anything to prove differently without going back out there again. I do remember the ones around here in NC are definitely red and white though, definitely not orange.

I searched for pics and nothing comes up. You'd have to do this to me wouldn't ya.:laughing: Now I have to go back.
The technical color is Aviation Orange. There is an allowable deviation from it, and it can be close to red.

theres an expert in pretty much everything on this site. But guessing if you climbed for 3.5hrs it was a hell of along way up. In my best days I could climb a 1200' in 1.5hrs. Coming down was a breeze.

The battleship that was there ( Iowa ?) got tugged down to LA parked across from the Vincent Thomas bridge this is all that's there now according to Google satellite view.

20211011_082121.jpg

That was my Dads last job in the Navy after WW2. Working on Decommisioning them.

The battleship that was there ( Iowa ?) got tugged down to LA parked across from the Vincent Thomas bridge this is all that's there now according to Google satellite view.

20211011_082121.jpg
I drive over the Benicia Martinez Bridge usually about once a week. There's not much out there anymore. That GE picture is probably pretty current.

There was a guy who got rich in Houston building trailers, William (Bill) List. ( I think the company was called Bill's Trailers)

He had a 33,000 sq.ft. mansion in Seabrook overlooking Galveston Bay.

The Guy was murdered by some kid he brought home, and the house sat vacant for DECADES.
I checked that house out on multiple occasion. (They finally tore it down)

Explored some out of business grocery stores, but had permission for those.

I've also explored the steam tunnels under Rice University

Anyone else explore west coast batteries ?

I drive over the Benicia Martinez Bridge usually about once a week. There's not much out there anymore. That GE picture is probably pretty current.
I heard they scrapped most of them due to the environmental impacts of them sitting in the bay there. I always looked forward to seeing them driving over the bridge and was pretty bummed to see them gone the last time I was over there.

Anyone else explore west coast batteries ?

Washington:
All of the ones at Ft. Worden, Ft. Casey and Ft. Flagler, including the hike to "off-limit" ones.
Battery 247 at Cape Disappointment.

Oregon:
Ft. Stevens

Sweet, have been inside a few of the ones north of SanFranFreakShow.

The passages and tunnels around (have photo files) Battery Wallace also has a nice picnic spot within view of the battery.

Last edited:
I like exploring old warehouses and looking at the graffiti...
sidebusted.jpg
P1010373.JPG
P1010420.JPG
P1010002.JPG
I'm thinking these places have all be demolished by now.

Found this cool video of the tunnel.

Also I lold at the base, guy wanted to build a wing farm but the state denied him only to find out it’s a toxic waste dump. Seems like a wind farm would be a nice use of that land.

Adams has a lot of cool stuff in the woods

There's a little foot path to a little waterfall (like just a stream going over a cliff) to the right of that tunnel entrance.

I used to watch this guy a lot. His new videos are dumb, but brows through his old stuff. He was one of the OG urban explorers that snuck onto the Disney water park that was closed down... He did some bad ass stuff several years ago.

There is an OOOOLD town in the woods not far from where I live. There is about 6 houses left if you can find them. This is one of the worst ones. I took this pic a few weeks ago on my bike ride.
20210912_074851.jpg
20210912_074844.jpg

Construction of the tunnel took more than 20 years, $17,000,000, and the lives of 196 men. On Thanksgiving Day in 1874, the last 16 feet of rock were blasted out of the way under North Adams. Two months later, the first train passed through what was then the second longest tunnel in the world.

Found this cool video of the tunnel.

Also I lold at the base, guy wanted to build a wing farm but the state denied him only to find out it’s a toxic waste dump. Seems like a wind farm would be a nice use of that land.

Adams has a lot of cool stuff in the woods

There's a little foot path to a little waterfall (like just a stream going over a cliff) to the right of that tunnel entrance.

Yes there is, it is actual called Twin Casacade because there are 2 streams that converge at the bottom of their respective falls. Sorry, no 35%

twin falls.jpg

Top Back Refresh