What's new

Exo Cage Thread

My old truck before I turned it into a buggy
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG

That looks good. What size tube? Also doesn't look like there is tube inside the b-pillars? That cross bracing at the back of the cab would be hard to pull off also without chopping the top on the 4runner. Internal and external c-pillars maybe?

1 3/4x120 dom

B pillar as in behind the front seats? No. There is a cross brace above the bed, I tried to get him to pull the bed and do an x like I normally do, but he didn't want to.

My 90 4runner had a b pillar hoop just like an internal cage, with a short pice of tube through the roof that welded to the hoop, the roof and the exo.

The nice thing about the newer rigs is that the cab it's self actually hold up to a decent roll. Say like a high speed barrel roll, no exo is going to save the cab, but at least adding to the structure of the cab, it should keep you safe. Vs the 1st and 2nd gen pickups would fold completely in a low speed roll :laughing:

I never could like the cowl bar to ensure wiper functions but its whatever. :homer:

It can be done with out sticking up ridiculous. I won't do them just sticking up. My 90 4runner I just couldn't open the hood all the way without it hitting, the 3rd gen single cab I posted I notched the hood and my 81 had enough room to go in front of the wiper.

1 3/4x120 dom

B pillar as in behind the front seats? No. There is a cross brace above the bed, I tried to get him to pull the bed and do an x like I normally do, but he didn't want to.

My 90 4runner had a b pillar hoop just like an internal cage, with a short pice of tube through the roof that welded to the hoop, the roof and the exo.

The nice thing about the newer rigs is that the cab it's self actually hold up to a decent roll. Say like a high speed barrel roll, no exo is going to save the cab, but at least adding to the structure of the cab, it should keep you safe. Vs the 1st and 2nd gen pickups would fold completely in a low speed roll :laughing:

It can be done with out sticking up ridiculous. I won't do them just sticking up. My 90 4runner I just couldn't open the hood all the way without it hitting, the 3rd gen single cab I posted I notched the hood and my 81 had enough room to go in front of the wiper.
Yeah I know people have said they want an exo to help protect their cab, but they don't realize the tube will move and bend and there are a ton of gaps for objects to crush panels anyways. I just care about protecting myself, but with being 6'5, I don't really think an internal cage is feasible, I am already cramped as it is :laughing:. I have no issue cutting into the roof for hybridization, and I think I could get away with a b-pillar hoop like you describe, I would have to look.

Yeah I know people have said they want an exo to help protect their cab, but they don't realize the tube will move and bend and there are a ton of gaps for objects to crush panels anyways. I just care about protecting myself, but with being 6'5, I don't really think an internal cage is feasible, I am already cramped as it is :laughing:. I have no issue cutting into the roof for hybridization, and I think I could get away with a b-pillar hoop like you describe, I would have to look.

The ones that make me laugh are the ones with fist sized gaps between the cab and cage. Then 1 flop and the cab and cage move so much it dents the body anyway. :homer:

At least with the cage tight or touching, it's harder to see the dents :laughing:

I like the idea of tieing them into the body as much as possible, seems help with them moving separately. The cab should also make the cage stronger as well.

I'm with you, I'm not near 6'5" and I can't fir well in a Toyota with an internal cage.

Went like sideways backwards in this thing during a comp landing upside down in a hole and it did its job. Kicked out the glass and finished the event. Put a windshield spreader in, attached the a-pillars to the exo and added a few braces and ran it that way till I parted it in 2018. I do miss this thing at times.

177535_4214944778432_1040763375_o.jpg
941709_10201261873775078_1891275627_n.jpg

Are you aware if he’s flopped this yet? I’m curious how it’d hold up without something in the B pillar area.
Picture? Want to make sure I’m picturing correctly

Love mine for leaning on trees, everything tied together and to the frame. The notches? on the sides of the stinger hold a tree perfectly if I'm winching something bigger (everything lol)

VideoCapture_20240119-154548.jpg

The ones that make me laugh are the ones with fist sized gaps between the cab and cage. Then 1 flop and the cab and cage move so much it dents the body anyway. :homer:

At least with the cage tight or touching, it's harder to see the dents :laughing:

I like the idea of tieing them into the body as much as possible, seems help with them moving separately. The cab should also make the cage stronger as well.

I'm with you, I'm not near 6'5" and I can't fir well in a Toyota with an internal cage.
I like the tighter fitting cages, won't hang up as much, body will get damaged regardless. I do like the look of well executed hybrid cages anyways so being tall just makes it so I have to make something that looks good. Or fork over enough coin to have someone make it for me, at the very least pre bend and cut it. I can weld it, I just don't have a tube bender or the bending skills :laughing:.

Are you aware if he’s flopped this yet? I’m curious how it’d hold up without something in the B pillar area.

I'm 90% sure he hasn't. With as heavy as it is, probably not great depending how hard it was or where it hit on the cage.

He also has a Trent fab buggy, so the tacoma is basically just snow now.

Picture? Want to make sure I’m picturing correctly

Page 8 (depending on how it works over there now) I start building the cage. Pics are all gayed pit from photo bucket but you can still see what's going on.

I like the tighter fitting cages, won't hang up as much, body will get damaged regardless. I do like the look of well executed hybrid cages anyways so being tall just makes it so I have to make something that looks good. Or fork over enough coin to have someone make it for me, at the very least pre bend and cut it. I can weld it, I just don't have a tube bender or the bending skills :laughing:.

My thought as well, if you build a jungle gym to protect every panel, it looks worse than body damage anyway. :laughing:

Toyota exos are by far the most challenging tube bending there is in the 4x4 world.

Top Back Refresh