What's new

EVSwap Land Cruiser 80 Series

J1000

Member Number
Loc
Morrison, CO
Check out my EV Land Cruiser conversion. I have a full build thread here but I thought this would be a good spot to unload my photos and videos of the thing in action.

Build thread: Electric Land Cruiser 80 Series

The truck uses a motor, battery, and other electronics from a 2017 Nissan LEAF. 80kw power (100hp), 187 ft-lbs, and 30KWH battery. Range is 50-60 miles depending on conditions. Top speed is 70 MPH.

It uses a BlackBox doubler and has the OEM transfer case for rock crawling. Been to Cruise Moab twice and wheel it in Colorado. It is a riot to drive. Literally better than a standard 80 series in every single way....except range. Range is a big problem 😅 So when I am wheeling I usually trailer it to the trailhead. But as far as driving feel and performance, it's no question the electric version is better. Way more fun to drive. This year I plan to add another battery to double the range.

fmZSdeA.jpg

gMGYBT2.jpg

xqdNro2.jpg

D0SFMbQ.jpg

44XYv6X.jpg

cFV3Otn.jpg

Q9KDkIH.jpg

dDJssN2.jpg

DxlNCMr.jpg

8jEFhSN.jpg

Got any more pics from the buildup? Would love to see battery storage, wiring stuff, weight numbers, stuff like that. Have been pretty fascinated by this build.
My full build thread is over on ih8mud: 1996 Land Cruiser EV Conversion - EVJ80 Project

But here are the highlights:

LAd5uRH.jpg

vvc1Cq0.jpg

rDcsEBp.jpg

pdaj5SC.jpg

I bought a 2013 LEAF SV from Copart and towed it home.

stjLhuV.jpg

I stripped out the LEAF for the electric drive components and wiring harnesses. I sold as much from it as I could then junked it.

ZI9UgS2.jpg

CUp0Fzu.jpg

diedbJi.jpg

Then I pulled out the old iron boat anchor 1FZ with the help of some buddies and the tranny too. Buh bye.

hVwubo7.jpg

K5MnfQg.jpg

Comparison between 1FZ and EM57 electric motor:

aRrKa7t.jpg

E8JMcU7.jpg

boBat93.jpg

CPYNF7c.jpg

Z3QiV4m.jpg

1gs2uKm.jpg

Rebuilt the front axle:

Qi5abGI.jpg

eICWxgE.jpg

Installed the Blackbox-C on my t-case:

r03W2Ff.jpg

qSXdFQp.jpg

3mXd4Fd.jpg

Mocking up t-case mount since the transmission is gone:

0szIn9e.jpg

Had an adapter plate machined up to mount my motor to and locate the driveshaft:

Mwqziiy.jpg

e8OpTP0.jpg

Mocking up the motor position:

9jm0JMm.jpg

S8B0Lvs.jpg

4Ap05zu.jpg

Got the inverter and the chargers mounted up:

q0bm7M1.jpg

W6UmKBc.jpg

2HJ6aya.jpg

7Qk4PB9.jpg

Started mounting my 12v and running wiring:

die42v4.jpg

Xprfa6u.jpg

R6cL43p.jpg

yFrUvv0.jpg

So with my shaft I could set my motor distance and mount it in place.

qFWBmwf.jpg

vTOrnq3.jpg

I then did the HV wiring and finished up the wiring enough to do a rough test.

Used welding wire I got for free from a work project. Nice score!

PCd9qh3.jpg

wehlS6n.jpg

g02XnHO.jpg

MwS8H0A.jpg

With that done I could mount mock up everything else and make sure I had clearance to my driveshafts and mount my t-case levers:

PGX2Zvd.jpg

TnjNmB0.jpg

Both in High

dERX9PT.jpg

Both in Low

yd4zS20.jpg

I powered it up with a battery outside the truck and it....WORKED!!!!!

Gvwtjn6.jpg

chLXSr8.jpg

bh3EQur.jpg

IddvJmc.jpg

Fv5ekKS.jpg

n5sDIYs.jpg

There are 48 modules in the pack, 2 cells per module. So 96 cells ~350-400 volts. I need to re-arrange these modules into two stacks that will fit on top of eachother under the hood. And put them in a waterproof protective box. And wire in the BMS and relays and everything 100% correctly with zero errors on the first try.

Let's get started!

I have about 36-37 inches under the hood lengthwise so the long stack of 24 will fit:

5OmoLAq.jpg

So then I took the two flat stacks of 12 modules each, and rebuilt them into a long 24 module stack. I had parts left over from the first LEAF so I could use the OEM components:

HqiSqRR.jpg

Udfx3jJ.jpg

iCNVtfK.jpg

So now I have two stacks of 24 modules. I flipped the orange and copper bus bar assembly upside down so that the + and - line up on each end for shorter wiring.

hPhenwj.jpg

I marked all of the 49 balance taps and labeled them so that they can be transplanted onto the new stack in the correct order. Every single wire must be in its place otherwise bad things happen.

oVtlEqj.jpg

J1000 : Why not move your build thread here and merge this thread in?
I started the other one in the Toyota section before the EV section was even created. I think it fit here better. I am not an admin so I can't move anything but if someone wanted to do that it's fine by me. I'm happy either way. I like that this thread starts off with all my media.

nOOB questions:
1) What kind of lifespan can you expect out of your power source setup?
2) How long can a charge go (in hours)?
3) Will that battery pack get hot?

Interesting and cool build.:smokin:

I started the other one in the Toyota section before the EV section was even created. I think it fit here better. I am not an admin so I can't move anything but if someone wanted to do that it's fine by me. I'm happy either way. I like that this thread starts off with all my media.
It doesn't matter to me one way or the other really, I was merely making a suggestion as I agree your build thread would be a better fit it the EV section. So if you want it moved, then ask one of the staff members or Austin himself. :beer:

Also interested in the heat of the batteries. Looks like you don't have a radiator, so are they air cooled? I would figure they would put out a lot of heat on the trail, especially since you are using them up after 60 miles.

Also interested in the heat of the batteries. Looks like you don't have a radiator, so are they air cooled? I would figure they would put out a lot of heat on the trail, especially since you are using them up after 60 miles.
Actually the batteries hardly even warm up. They just stay about ambient. The only time the batteries start to warm up is when charging. The motor, inverter, and charger are water cooled. They get warmish when driving and charging but usually not more than 100F.

The batteries are from a Nissan LEAF and they are not actively cooled in those cars either.

nOOB questions:
1) What kind of lifespan can you expect out of your power source setup?
2) How long can a charge go (in hours)?
3) Will that battery pack get hot?

Interesting and cool build.:smokin:
The batteries last 10-15 years before they are degraded too badly to be of much use. Hoping something better comes out before then.

The charge will last for months and months if it's not being driven. Especially with the solar panels that keep the 12v trickle charged. If you mean how many hours can I drive, it totally depends on the situation. I think some of the trail runs I've done were 4-6 hours and still had more than 50% remaining.

Battery usually stays around ambient temperature unless I am driving a lot and charging back to back.

Actually the batteries hardly even warm up. They just stay about ambient. The only time the batteries start to warm up is when charging. The motor, inverter, and charger are water cooled. They get warmish when driving and charging but usually not more than 100F.

The batteries are from a Nissan LEAF and they are not actively cooled in those cars either.
Interesting. I remember people discussing electric ultra 4 cars, and one of the hurdles was swapping battery packs, and the cooling system being a massive pain in the ass to deal with. Cool to see that this is good stuff for a trail rig, and honestly is much more simple than I thought. Have you considered on on board diesel generator or something similar to recharge the batteries to extend the range? Does not look like a lot of room for anything with the batteries occupying the engine bay.

Interesting. I remember people discussing electric ultra 4 cars, and one of the hurdles was swapping battery packs, and the cooling system being a massive pain in the ass to deal with. Cool to see that this is good stuff for a trail rig, and honestly is much more simple than I thought. Have you considered on on board diesel generator or something similar to recharge the batteries to extend the range? Does not look like a lot of room for anything with the batteries occupying the engine bay.
Most OEM EVs do have water cooling loops in the cells and if you are consistently drawing a lot of power from them, like an Ultra 4, or a Tesla Plaid etc then the batteries definitely need to be cooled.

Personally, no I'm not interested in putting any sort of generator in it. My plans are to add a second battery about the same size or a little bigger than what I currently have. That will comfortably double the range and it will be a lot more usable. Hoping to get that done this year.

Tim of Gamiviti and I hung around today up in the misty mountains and took the EV80 out for a little cruise. Check it out!

Gamiviti is the maker of my roof rack and specializes in solar powered gear like fridges and water storage systems for overlanders.

Pretty cool. Do you have an “on board” charger? So you can charge it off a standard 110 or 220 socket?

Got any CAD files or drawings of the motors that you would be willing to share, or know where I can get some? Was just going to play around with them a bit in CAD.

On Saturday I went wheeling with a couple of other 80 series friends. It was a close trail but still out of reach unless I used public charging. I used about 1/4 tank of gas the whole day in my tow rig and when I charged up my 80 it took about 15 KWH, or about $1.80 worth of electricity. I would have used most of the tank of gas if I had wheeled my gas truck the whole time... It is actually worth it to tow to the trailhead it does save gas!

VfJ9Map.jpg

Okgiw3Y.jpg

Top Back Refresh