What's new

Evinrude killed off

Damn. Johnson Evinrude was THE SHIT for as long as I can remember.

Buddy had an Evinrude snowmobile with a rotary in it. I never knew such a thing existed.

I've always liked Evinrude. Been running them since I was a kid and have owned many of them since. Mercury was good but I put a lot of faith in Evinrudes with some of the trips I've been on :cool:

I’ve still never been around a modern one. I’ve heard they’re the shit on a pontoon, and would’ve considered it if I ever bought one. From what I can tell, they’ve got a very solid rep, but very little market penetration.

My dad still has a 17 foot 1980 glastron with an evinrude outboard in it. Runs like a top. This sucks to hear.

I’ve still never been around a modern one. I’ve heard they’re the shit on a pontoon, and would’ve considered it if I ever bought one. From what I can tell, they’ve got a very solid rep, but very little market penetration.

I think they’ve only been factory installed on bass and pontoon boats the last several years which I think is a lot of their problem, they just aren’t coming out on many new boats. I’ve owned a half dozen OMCs and grew up around them. I still own a 130 evinrude and a 25 Johnson on my two boats. I’m sorry to see the brand die, even if it really wasn’t the same company the past 20 years.

I had an 18 horsepower Evinrude outboard from 1972. It was great once I got the ignition all sorted out and everything. The old guy that worked on it said he didn't like any of the new boat motors they were all junk in his eyes. Old guys tend to say stuff like that though :).

Unfortunately, Evinrude hasn't been relevant since the late '80s after Mercury cleaned their clock in ModVP and other outboard racing....The Ficht fuel injection was the nail in the coffin. BRP brought their tech into it but it was too little too late. All Hail Mercury

Unexpected but not too surprising considering their small market share. I've heard BRP has been working on something called "Project Ghost". It sounds reminiscent of the Force L drive which uhh.. sucked.

Buddy had an Evinrude snowmobile with a rotary in it. I never knew such a thing existed.

I got one too! Runs awesome but sounds like farts. No two stroke smell on your clothes either. Goes like a Corolla on bald tires in the deep snow.

evinrude bought up and 7 marine bought by volvo

I got one too! Runs awesome but sounds like farts. No two stroke smell on your clothes either. Goes like a Corolla on bald tires in the deep snow.

The best thing about a two stroke is the smell.

Oh really ?

s-l400.jpg

It's small and smells bad, but that has nothing to do with boat motors.

Were any of you aware that Volvo is now making a Saltwater outboard? It is actually the LS engine block with a supercharger under the case. They were all over the Ft Lauderdale boat show this last year.

Were any of you aware that Volvo is now making a Saltwater outboard? It is actually the LS engine block with a supercharger under the case. They were all over the Ft Lauderdale boat show this last year.

That was mentioned earlier. That was a company called 7Marine that Volvo apparently just bought out. Beautiful, gigantic, powerful engines. I didn't know Volvo had bought them until this thread.

That was mentioned earlier. That was a company called 7Marine that Volvo apparently just bought out. Beautiful, gigantic, powerful engines. I didn't know Volvo had bought them until this thread.

Been kind of watching 7 Marine since they used the Caddy version, 557 horsepower, then they went with the Corvette 627, then Volvo bought them out. That needed to happen for sure, they're hyper-expensive, made in Wisconsin I think, and they need that Volvo-Penta r&d and QC money behind them.

It's Volvo-Penta which is still the viking Volvo, not the Great Wall Volvo (the cars).

Made in Lexington, TN, China, and Sweden wikipedia says. volvo penta

It was some rich kid (late 30s) with an RE developer dad, his dad was all proud of him for starting a company, one would assume the guy spent his youth with bikin-clad babes in Florida running out to the Gulf Stream bill-fishing.

High up on the list of Things I'll Never Own is a Hatteras GT70. Makes me diamonds.

I don't even own a boat. I'd be happy with an inner-tube with a chair on it and 4 caddies for drinks and poles.

Evinrude are the king of the lakes in our region.

I have a 175 Intruder. When its time I was planning on having it rebuilt. Still should have a lot of hours left on it. I just need to replace the bearings in the lower unit before use. Going to cost about a grand bu the time I buy the pullers and snap ring pliers plus parts. Seems about right. Break out another thousand. 🤣

Hopefully the aftermarket keeps paets available for a while as there are tons of them out there. If not then when its time for a repower I guess it will be kick me in the nuts Merc time.

Top Back Refresh