What's new

Evan’s 4Runner Stuff

eacook1

Red Skull Member
ST4x4
Member Number
Loc
Temecula, CA
I’ve been vacillating on starting a “build” thread. Figured since I’ve started my SAS I will start a thread and just start posting stuff here as I go. This is my first SAS and I already have some questions but right now it’s beer:30 and there’s an IPA calling my name.

1993 2nd Gen 4 Runner with 5spd manual, V6 and 4:56 gears.

10 years ago, the only mod at this point was removing the running boards.
FE0E473E-5294-47DA-B243-BBF5685A18B8.jpeg

Last trip out.
A59D25D0-7252-4E86-8703-B29C6134CADB.jpeg

Today
C0D49DE2-028C-4EAD-89C5-396EDDD29955.jpeg

9C49F9A0-99EA-4F8F-8678-20249C55EE0C.jpeg

36441F28-BC6F-45F0-A101-0BD232B2F716.jpeg

Last edited:
Subbed.

And I think I would weld but don't over work it, treat it good, and plate over with reinforcing plates.

When I did mine I left more material and burned up the grinders.

What’s the consensus on welding the gap or adding a plate in between the frame and the hanger. I have read people doing it both ways. I am leaning toward adding a plate to fill the gap.

B51879DC-F85A-41D6-8A8B-69BCB6CA71D3.jpeg

You could cut that shit off the bottom of the frame so the hanger sits flush. Literally a 5 minute job per side.

If you take a closer look at my pic I already reinforced that part of the frame with a kit like the one you linked.

Took a little break to make a new flag hanger. The old plastic one finally gave out. 30 min and some scrap material.
B5FFBBCB-B62E-4E4A-AEE3-23B91D976290.jpeg

So are saying just cut this off where it’s contacting my hanger?

C34A0BCB-E182-4C32-9C2F-200F8C75B1FB.jpeg
Correct. Trim all that off with a cutoff wheel. Mark the backside of the hanger so you know where to cut. Now your hanger will sit flush.

It’s your rig. Do what you want. Just giving you ideas. :flipoff2:

What’s the consensus on welding the gap or adding a plate in between the frame and the hanger. I have read people doing it both ways. I am leaning toward adding a plate to fill the gap.

B51879DC-F85A-41D6-8A8B-69BCB6CA71D3.jpeg
So looking at it, you already added the support between the frame horns right?
Because normally those are not connected, on a 3rd gen the frame ends are seperate. so your looking the ends of the frame right??

So looking at it, you already added the support between the frame horns right?
Because normally those are not connected, on a 3rd gen the frame ends are seperate. so your looking the ends of the frame right??

Just so I understand. Frame horns are those front body mounts? If so then yes. I added a plate across that whole front section when I put my winch bumper on. There was already a plate there connecting the two sides but it’s super thin.

Correct. Trim all that off with a cutoff wheel. Mark the backside of the hanger so you know where to cut. Now your hanger will sit flush.

Why???? That’s cutting off all of the “strength” in that area.

I’ve done SAS’ where we’ve filled the gap with .120 and welded.

I’ve done them where we haven’t.

I’ve fully welded and I’ve stitch welded.

I’ve done the FRORF front plate and w/o. (I prefer with)

Don’t over think or over complicate it.

Why???? That’s cutting off all of the “strength” in that area.
You are welding a big ass hanger to the bottom of that cross member. How does trimming a couple small pieces off make it weaker?

You are welding a big ass hanger to the bottom of that cross member. How does trimming a couple small pieces off make it weaker?

Because it’s cutting the frame horn itself in favor of the crossmember that is welded to the horn.

In 25 years of the SAS, I’ve never seen anyone do what your suggesting.

Those small pieces are the bottom of the C channel of the frame, it doesn't matter how big the crossmember is when you compromise the end of the frame,

Definitely don't cut the bottom of the frame. They already like to crack just behind the new crossmember. I've seen quite a few just stitch welded (I did too) but definitely add braces behind the crossmember and/or plate the frame rails (I see you already plan to plate).

Subbed. Reminds me of when I originally solid axle swapped my 4runner. I used the same Sky Offroad hanger you have. I diid't cut / grind the frame to get it to sit flush or put a filler plate in, just welded it on. I'm with Rockota. Just pick one way and do it, don't overthink it.

Kind of a slow day. Decided on filling the gap with a plate. I plasma cut some holes down the center to plug weld. Then welded the front and back every few inches.
7C5BEEF8-94E1-4B4A-8933-98F1D29F5E9C.jpeg

B7F6E59F-B162-4FE2-A80B-48CCB98A440F.jpeg

Got the hanger tacked in. Started cutting the holes for the shackles.

1FD06C7E-AE87-42E3-A2B0-639DE80B3FB2.jpeg

What is the easiest method you guys have used for cutting the shackle holes. I used my plasma cutter but getting that inner piece if metal out is a pain. It would be a lot easier with a cutting torch. Not sure I have space to get a hole saw in there. I didn’t try since I didn’t have the right size. I only got one side cut and still haven’t got the bushing to fit in.

Last edited:
Mine is def. a 2nd, If I remember Stingray has a 3rd he recently did a SAS and was comparing.

By looking at the 4Runner pix, it looks to be a 2nd Gen due to no fuel filler door on driver side?

OP~ I'll delete this trainwreck post
Yup, This is all on me, I had it in my head it was a 3rd gen, I think we talked in another thread and I missed it completely.

Still slow progress. My daughter has an 88 Cherokee which has been giving us some issues and taking up my time.

I did manage to get one frame hole cut. It’s not perfectly square so I need to massage it a little but it was good enough to slap a spring up there for fun

I’m running all sky’s off-road stuff, including springs. They give an exact distance to drill the hole in the frame, which resulted in what you see.

EB4A3EFD-F0BD-4C75-9AD8-78193DAF2ABC.jpeg
01DA2481-2678-441F-99D4-17A5BEC7DD43.jpeg

if its not too late, i'd suggest beefing up the frame to crossmember attachment

here's a pic from my thread

1657502135798.png

actually now that im looking at it, i wonder if the guy before me had cut the bottom of the frame like these guys are talking about :laughing::homer:

Oh yeah. I will beef up and gusset everything. Just figuring everything out at this point.

Top Back Refresh