What's new

EV tech for the future

Treefrog

Book Wheeler
Member Number
Loc
Central Florida
With all the new EV trucks and hybrid 4x4s, heck an Ultra4 class, on the horizon, maybe it’s time to get our head out of the oil well and look at where we are ultimately headed. It has been mentioned and briefly discussed a few times here, but its worth the time to look a bit closer.

But before we go looking at some concepts behind building one, first we should take a trip to the past and look at what has been done before. I’ve only been able to find any information on 3 rigs. TonyK’s buggy on PBB, tipover’s electric Samurai, also on PBB, and a few videos by Evcrawler Buggy on Youtube.

Sorry in advanced about the mixed units systems. EV stuff seems to love mixing them.

What has been done before

TonyK’s shop built one on PBB back in 04/05. This is the one I'll go most in depth on, because it has enough info available to, and because it’s a buggy.

They went with a powertrain layout of motor -> crawl box -> t-case -> differentials. Interestingly, no transmission.

By the time it was parted out, it had a Klune V (pretty sure it is the 4:1 version), 5.0 atlas, and 6.5 gears turning 40s.

They said it had 85 hp at 4000 rpm and could output 300 ft*lb at 0 RPM. However, I was unable to find a motor that meets those specs. I did find the one shown below that meets everything except the torque, which is on 108 ft*lb. They may have had a setup that let them push the high amperage to it at low RPM.

1633659579197.png

Energy wise it had 3 16 Ah car batteries in parallel for steering and 12 42 Ah car batteries in series for drive systems. Claimed it had a 1.5 hr charge time. The pack weighed in at 400 lbs. Current cost for the exact same setup is somewhere around $4350.

A bit of math says he had 6.1 Kwh for drive and 0.6 Kwh for steering. A claimed run time of 2.5 hours at comp level and 4-4.5 hours in normal offroad driving. These means that we can estimate .7 wh/lb of vehicle when crawling for an hour for driving and steering.

Some other relevant info is that it weighed 2378 lbs without water with a 50/50 split.

A hypothetical trail buggy conversion

A note or two before we dig into the details: this is a buggy designed for slower rock crawling and a few looser climbs, but not bombing through at high speed. And that we are converting a buggy. In all likely hood it would be a ground up build, but a conversion gives us easy numbers to start from.

The conversion has two main parts to it, the motor and the battery. Let’s look at the motor first

Motor

The motor selection is driven by the minimum max rpm and the torque at 0 RPM. RPM is the easy one.

Motor RPM = desired speed(mph) * gearing * 336.1 / tire diameter(inches)​

Estimating torque we need is harder. I figure the approach is to find the torque needed to do a standing burn out in the driveway. Most of the values are easy but, we are forced to assume a tire coefficient of friction. I figured 1.5 would be a safe estimate for a sticky compound tire on dry pavement.

Motor torque needed(ft*lb) = Weight(lbs) * weight bias(1 being all weight on rear) * tire size(inches) / (gearing *20)

Motor torque needed(N*m) = Weight(lbs) * weight bias(1 being all weight on rear) * tire size(inches) / (gearing *14.75)​

Now over to our theoretical buggy. 40” tires with 5.38 axle gearing. For the transfer case let’s go with a 4.0 Atlas 4sp. A loaded down trail weight of at 4000 lbs with a weight of 3000 lbs after the engine, radiator, transmission, fuel system, etc. have been removed. Assuming that it used an iron block V8 and an automatic. Let’s go with an even weight distribution of 50/50. For now, let’s assume that after the conversion we have the same weight.

Assuming we want a max speed of 10 mph in the lowest gear combination, about 40 mph with the crawl box in high, we need a motor capable of at least 5000 rpm.

Also, if we want to be able to break the tires free on pavement with the transfer case in low and the crawl box in high, we need at least 90 ft*lb at the motor.

Of interest is the torque and therefore the HP requirements seem low. If we want all of that torque at max speed, we will need a motor with 87 HP. Not a lot. The big thing to remember is that that torque is available from 0, no revving the engine, no torque converter, no delay.

It may be better to go with a clutch-less setup with a lighter duty manual transmission like an AX15 instead of the crawl box. Lower low and more options to play with.

But all this assumes that we are using a single motor in a conventional drivetrain layout. But what about separate motors at each end of the vehicle like Tesla’s pickup or the new Hummer? Or one per wheel like with hub motors? The weight and room savings of getting rid of the transfer case and driveshafts would be significant.

One motor per axle

Sounds great. FWD, RWD, 4WD, just two switches on the dash. That is where the easy stops. We would be looking at a lot of custom components. No junkyard axles here. Two speeds would be feasible using a planetary set out of a pair of transfer cases and a solenoid. Plenty of off the shelf lockers we could use as a base. Just replace the ring and pinion with some external gears that have a total ratio equivalent to the ring and pinion and t-case low. Seems reasonable so far. Heck, front high and rear low could be useful. The big issue here is cost. All the custom parts, and even more so, the motors and their controllers. 2x the cost at least.

Hub Motors

The issue here is the torque and RPM constraints. With the other two configurations, the locker and/or t-case split the torque as needed. And the selectable low ranges give a selection of speed vs precision, so we didn’t need a motor that had tons of low torque but that can also rev out. With hub motors, each corner needs to be able to generate 50% of the torque needed and reach the wheel RPMs needed.

Going off the hypothetical conversion, we need 5000 ft*lb between the rear wheels to break the tires free. So, 2500 ft*lb per corner. Big tires really screw ya here. But at the same time, to reach that 10 mph max crawl speed, we have to spin up to 84 RPM. To reach the 40 mph speed would take 340 RPM. There are no current electric hub motors that can output that torque or spin that slow. The ones designed for buses and such only have 1100 ft*lb. This means we need a small motor and a reduction.

This leads to a cost issue. 4 slightly smaller motors, each with its own controller, reduction gearing, hub, and a bunch of essentially one-off parts for steering and the axle beam, protecting the exposed motors, etc. Gets really expensive really fast. On top of that you need a motor coordinator or to put up with a system that acts like it has limited slips at both axles and the center locker and torque limiting clutches at all 4 corners. And you have to deal with the steering forces of a rock crawler. How often does a stock knuckle break on a dana 60 with hydro steering and 40s compared to under normal abuse?

Battery

On to the battery. Much less numbers here. Just need to make sure that you can support the amperage and voltages needed, both at fully charged and near fully discharged. The big thing here is that unlike 15 years ago, running lithium batteries is a reasonable option, though it is more expensive, complex, and takes more work to do. The saving grace of an electric crawler will likely be the extremely low idle power draw, if it kept spinning like an ICE when waiting for its turn on an obstacle, it would die quick.

The big question is how many Kwh or Ah are needed.

he new hybrid Wrangler (5100 lbs) has 17.3 Kwh, about 15 usable, and a range of 20 miles in town. TFLoffroad found it got 4ish miles going up Red Cone pass before the motor kicked on. Once we account for the 5.6 Kwh that went it took to take that 5000 lbs up 3000 ft, that leaves us with 2.5 kwh/mile trail riding.

TonyK had 6.7 Kwh and could get 4 miles of southwest crawling. I have found one other electric buggy, that gets 4 hours of eastern wheeling out of 16-18 kwh battery. An EV Samurai over on PBB gets a couple hours hours out of 13.3 Kwh. He believes it can do the Rubicon in one charge, but takes a generator and charges it just to be safe. Also says that wheeling in low range he averages 25 A or 2.4 kw draw. With his 96 V pack, that puts him at 5-6 hours. That makes me believe that 25 A is the average when moving and not over the entire ride.

Does the motor actual produce power at 0rpm? Like a tire completely under a ledge bound, what's the motor do? Snap, snap? I'd say yes but haven't really found an answer on it.

And range is horrible at the moment it would seem. I did check the Lordstorm baja rig and the actual range they got was pretty poor.

Controller seems to be the biggest issue as they isn't much for stnad alone kits. Lots of piece meal stuff or complete custom, sorta like the early fuel injection systems.

Does the motor actual produce power at 0rpm? Like a tire completely under a ledge bound, what's the motor do? Snap, snap? I'd say yes but haven't really found an answer on it.

And range is horrible at the moment it would seem. I did check the Lordstorm baja rig and the actual range they got was pretty poor.

Controller seems to be the biggest issue as they isn't much for stnad alone kits. Lots of piece meal stuff or complete custom, sorta like the early fuel injection systems.
It should be able to produce torque at 0 rpm, but no rpm means no power. Just goes straight to heat, should be similar to a torque converter in that regard. Depending on the motor specs and what parts are used, I'm guessing it will stall the motor well before you start destroying parts. I believe that the motor that curve comes from has a 1 1/8" shaft. I'd be surprised if 108 ft*lb would snap stuff that can support 40inch tires with a V8.

Do you remember what the range was?

There seems to be decent controller options. Some stuff like the precharge system still needs sourced, but those are pretty easy to do. There seems to be a big price gap though between the Curtis based motor/controller kits ($4k) and the ones that have decent flexibility ($10k+ with motor). To my knowledge there are some decent controllers from Cascadia Motion and DTI, but they run in the 200-800V territory, will support higher HP, and custom setups, but come at a much higher price. And all the OEM stuff that you might get in the junkyard is probably not practical.

From the article they were expecting to make 105 miles, they made it 40 before the system were drained.

Now that is in hub motors and at speed, so a bit different.

I get what your saying on the motor, that does seem to be correct. Tesla motor can be had. There is a couple youtube channels (Ward's University maybe?) that does pretty detail tears down s of the power units and it's interesting to watch.

The shit isn't out there but it's not cheap enough to be in the junkyards so no the market is tiny so basically no R&D has been done to make use of the components so it's all stupid expensive.

Also, there's a reason you only see this shit in road going cars with full bodies. The battery tech just isn't there yet. Trying to push an XJ on 35s with a reasonable amount of batteries would be like running a BBQ tank for propane. You're simply not gonna get an afternoon of wheeling out of that.

Give it 20yr

This is an interesting discussion, and something that has crossed my mind many times before, especially having messed around with RC crawlers as a kid.

I was casually involved with an electric car project one of my buddies finished for his senior undergrad project. It was a tube chassis with a VW transaxle and front suspension setup. I don't recall the details on the motor or controller setup, but I know the department didn't have the money for lithium batteries, so we installed a bunch of golf cart batteries that were way too heavy :laughing: We had to install shocks with helper springs and max out the preload adjustment to get it off the bumpstops :homer: It had a top speed of about 50-55MPH, but it didn't seem to matter what gear you were in, so the motor was probably limited by both RPM and power. I can tell you that the 5 speed was entirely too many gears for the electric motor; you only really needed two of them, and if the ratios were optimized, you may have been able to make effective use of 3 gears. It was weird only using the clutch to shift gears at speed and being able to take off just fine in any gear including 5th :laughing: It was a bit of a pig with all those lead acid batteries, but it probably would have been pretty fun if we could have used lithium batteries instead.

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

I know all the hardcore RC comp crawlers were motor-on-axle configuration instead of shaft driven, although shaft driven RC crawlers can be pretty darn capable too. I think it is worth discussing Alec Yeager's builds as well as an extreme example of what is possible if you move away from a standard internal combustion drivetrain. Here is his "Green Rock Dawg" build which uses an electric over hydraulic drive system with hub motors:

He also has a more recent motor-on-axle build called roXdawg with more traditional axle assemblies; although, this one uses an internal combustion engine to power the hydraulic motors:

I think the most realistic build would be a traditional axle and transfer case setup with the motor directly coupled to the transfercase, but with deeper than usual axle gears, like 6.5-12:1. I think you want to avoid a transmission all together and just use the transfer case for your high and low range, which would necessitate ultra deep axle gearing. 9"-based axles can get down to 6.50:1, low pinion 60s and Dana 70s can get 7.17, but I think portal and planetary axles will be better options since you can easily get down lower than 10:1. HMMWV portals are a 1.92:1 reduction, Volvo portal are a 2.06:1 reduction, and Unimog 404 portals are a 2.13:1 reduction. With a 9" center section and 6.50 gears, portals would give you a final drive ratio of 12.48-13.85 depending which ones you use. This has the benefit of reducing torque twist on the chassis, taking stress off upstream drivetrain components, and reducing overall weight by eliminating one more drivetrain component. For reference, all current electric cars do not have multi-speed transmissions with the exception of the Porsche Taycan which is a two speed. If they can comfortably cruise at highway speeds and give kickass acceleration on a single gear ratio, I don't see why we should need more than just the low range provided by the transfer case for crawling if we use a motor with reasonable power and RPM capability. At most, I can only see a 2 speed transmission or crawl box being needed, but I think with proper design, it would be unnecessary. For reference, the Tesla Model S Plaid uses motors that can spin 20,000 RPM and they use a 7.5:1 final drive ratio which allows for a 200 MPH top speed and the current record for production car 0-60 and quarter mile times. For a crawler on 40" tires with a 12:1 axle ratio and the transfer case in high, you would only need a motor capable of ~8,000 RPM to go 80 MPH. With a 5:1 transfer case ratio that would still give you a 60:1 crawl ratio which would probably be plenty sufficient for an electric motor with full torque at 0 RPM depending on vehicle weight and the torque of the motor. You would also have a top speed of 16MPH in low range with the same hypothetical 8,000RPM motor.

Ford offers the Mach E electric motor in a crate package for $3900. It makes 281HP and 317LbFt, spins to 13,800 RPM, and weighs only 205Lbs. The only problem is that it has the 9.05:1 reduction built in, so even with 3:1 axle gears and 40" tires your top speed will only be 61 MPH. That is probably plenty for a dedicated crawler, but 3:1 axle gears are going to put a lot of stress on the upstream drivetrain components and create a lot of torque twist in the chassis. Perhaps it could be a useable option with an overdrive box, or the built-in gear reduction could be eliminated to directly coupled with the Transfer case. It would be nice if Ford would offer the motor with different reduction ratios since a 2-3:1 ratio would make the motor useable with traditionally used axle ratios (5-6:1).

Last edited:
I believe 9" based can go to 7:17 as well. But that may be with a 10" ring and pinion setup.

Completely agree that the more gearing we can put to the axles the better. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that TonyK added the Klune to knock the wheel speed down for ease of control and not from the need for gearing.

Realistically, how fast does a crawler need to go? From what I've heard even rock bouncing only hits 40 mph.

Realistically, how fast does a crawler need to go? From what I've heard even rock bouncing only hits 40 mph.

Depends how dedicated of a "Crawler" it is. I personally wouldn't be happy with something that only had a top speed of 40MPH. My buddies and I frequently run highway speeds through the desert, and in a world where reservoir and bypass shocks, air bumps, as well as trailing arms are becoming more common place on recreational builds, I think most people would be unhappy with a 40MPH or lower top speed.

Crawling crazy obstacles is fun, but so is hauling ass. Personally I want a rig that can do both to some extent, although I would lean more towards crawling performance than all out desert speed.

I can see the racers now, backed up on Jackhammer, running back to pits for another battery. :laughing:

The future of transaxle buggies?

Ford Crate EV drivetrain

Hot-rodding adoption is 100% going to be the batteries availability and cost.

I am curious to see how GM and Ford are going to allow their new crate setups to be sold. I would bet at the start you are going to have to go to a certified installer vs being able to buy the parts and DIY. High voltage DC is not to be fucked with.

I am curious to see how GM and Ford are going to allow their new crate setups to be sold. I would bet at the start you are going to have to go to a certified installer vs being able to buy the parts and DIY. High voltage DC is not to be fucked with.
Some shade tree mechanic is gonna die. Just a matter of when. I'm guessing 4 years. "Telsa wants how much to replace the batteries? I'll do it in the yard, can't be worse than the battery in my truck."

You can buy tesla motor units, they are not that hard to find. Somewhat spendy but not insanely so.

Some of the FePO4 batteries options might not be a bad choice.

I would say 55mph would need to be attainable. that would allow someone to travel on most any road way at a reasonable speed. Might not be legal but that would depend on the areas.

Last edited:
Neat stuff, I've been wanting to build a diesel electric hybrid with motors at each wheel. I get using a commonly available current drivetrain to get things going, but I don't believe that is where the future is at.

My idea was to make some type of portal style knuckle with the motor at the top, then use a planetary hub setup off a tractor for further gear reduction. I'm pretty sure you could get close to 9-1 gear reduction. Honestly speed would probably be more limited by the planetary hub than the motor. Obviously I don't have the time, nor the money to make custom gearsets and can't really even afford the current portal options out there. I considered using some form of chain reduction to make the "portal" just to get to a proof of concept.

The controls would need a lot of work to make it easier to use. In a 4 wheel independent drive, front and rear steer setup, there are a lot of moods you could access and how to best do that quickly and intuitively would have to be figured out. Its almost too many options to deal with.

I don't want to use a ton of batteries either. I'd rather have a small diesel genset power it if possible, with a small battery bank for extra watts when needed. I guess I'm less interested in proving that battery power could work offroad and more interested in improving efficiency and that 4 wheel independent motors have advantages offroad.

Kevin

Cool to see this brought up over here. This is something I've been doing some decent research on in the past few months, and there are some decent options out there. Prices are pretty damn high right now, but like any evolving technology I expect the cost to adapt pretty dramatically in the coming years. As noted here there are a few ways to do it. I don't think wheel motors have what it takes yet, but that still leaves differential mounted motors like Tesla, and upstream motors that drive a transfer case or have driveshafts connected directly towards them.

On the road most EV's seem to use 250-350 watt hours per mile average. With more parasitic losses (added drivetrain component friction, tire losses, less aero) I bet we'll see north of 500 watt-hours on medium-small road worthy offroad EVs. In sand and rocks that will absolutely plummet dramatically as noted by some of the examples further upthread.

In the category of electric motors powering a transfer case you have pretty standard options like these:

Motors, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

In the category of electric motors with integrated differentials becoming the transfer case (connecting directly to your driveshafts), you have a few options. The catch is, these are either open diff or torsen limited slip unless someone comes up with a selectable locker for them.

-One option is these HPD-L options all the way up to 320HP (200ft-lb motor torque before the 3.3:1 or 4.6:1 reduction). Tons of data including CAD models and torque/HP charts on this website.

HPD L Powertrains – Swind

-A second option is taking a Tesla rear drive unit and turning it sideways. There is one company creating lower reduction gearsets for them so you can increase output speed toward what we want our driveshafts to spin (they may be working on a 3.*:1 ratio IIRC from a conversation we had). They also have limited slips for the Tesla diff as well which would be cool for AWD options but not quite ideal for our desire for truly locked 4wd

Tesla Large Drive Unit Gear Set 4.5:1 - Zero EV

The final category is differential mounted motors such as the stock Tesla differentials:
You could actually use a Tesla drivetrain here as they are pretty narrow (pretty interesting idea for long travel IRS/IFS. Maybe paired with portals to get the desired final drive ratio. The above HPD components have RWD options to accomplish similar, though neither of these options give you a selectable low range which may end up being their downfall in our eyes as we want the ability to supply enough torque to break axle shafts at low speed, but enough RPM available to go 100mph if we so decide. But avoiding components like transfer cases and driveshafts decrease parasitic losses pretty dramatically which would really help efficiency.

As far as batteries go, beyond voltage and amp-hours you also just want to note the available discharge rate because as you get into bigger and bigger motors you start asking quite a lot out of the batteries and discharge rate becomes a valuable consideration.

I'm sure I'll come back and add more thoughts, but I really enjoy seeing this topic come up here :beer:

It should be able to produce torque at 0 rpm, but no rpm means no power. Just goes straight to heat, should be similar to a torque converter in that regard. Depending on the motor specs and what parts are used, I'm guessing it will stall the motor well before you start destroying parts. I believe that the motor that curve comes from has a 1 1/8" shaft. I'd be surprised if 108 ft*lb would snap stuff that can support 40inch tires with a V8.

Do you remember what the range was?

There seems to be decent controller options. Some stuff like the precharge system still needs sourced, but those are pretty easy to do. There seems to be a big price gap though between the Curtis based motor/controller kits ($4k) and the ones that have decent flexibility ($10k+ with motor). To my knowledge there are some decent controllers from Cascadia Motion and DTI, but they run in the 200-800V territory, will support higher HP, and custom setups, but come at a much higher price. And all the OEM stuff that you might get in the junkyard is probably not practical.
Armchair engineer warning but I would imagine with RPM range of the motor you would want gearing options to not allow for a full torque situation at 0 rpm. Horsepower is much easier to deliver at faster speeds.

The controls would need a lot of work to make it easier to use. In a 4 wheel independent drive, front and rear steer setup, there are a lot of moods you could access and how to best do that quickly and intuitively would have to be figured out. Its almost too many options to deal with.

I don't want to use a ton of batteries either. I'd rather have a small diesel genset power it if possible, with a small battery bank for extra watts when needed. I guess I'm less interested in proving that battery power could work offroad and more interested in improving efficiency and that 4 wheel independent motors have advantages offroad.

Kevin

The amount of controls is a issue as well. I have seen and ran with Alec's setup and it is cool but it is slow and he has a crap load of switches. It does insane stuff but you have to wait 20 mins for it to do it.

I also think a small generator would be the way to go. Thinking of having just a Honda 2000ui to charge back up if needed. That would be tits.

Armchair engineer warning but I would imagine with RPM range of the motor you would want gearing options to not allow for a full torque situation at 0 rpm. Horsepower is much easier to deliver at faster speeds.
maybe not at zero rpm but at 5 or 10 or some point much less then what a ICE typically does would be desirable. A red moving at 100 rpm would be pretty nuts. Pretty much what the you guys have been able to do with 16 transfer cases.

I also think a small generator would be the way to go. Thinking of having just a Honda 2000ui to charge back up if needed. That would be tits.

One thing I learned as I started to dive into this subject, is the amount of power you need to supply for any reasonable amount of charging. 2,000 watts is extremely insignificant, you need more along the lines of 10,000 watts if you're not planning on charging for 12+ hours.

If you're burning 500 watt hours per mile on the road, a 2000 watt generator will recharge your batteries enough for 4 miles of smooth road travel per hour (not accounting for efficiency losses which means even less than that).

:laughing: ah yes there is that.

Which imo having to run a large even ICE engine makes the electric motors moot. We can already do crawlers with cranked up 4 cylinders, why build something with a 4 cylinder engine plus a couple electric motors to do the same thing?

And loads like 4ws steering and winching would further add to the power draw.

Torque is torque regardless of RPM. It will be easier to break parts though if you give it full juice at a standstill compared to a gas engine since there is no delay in power delivery and you'll have less time to let off before something goes pop.

:laughing: ah yes there is that.

Which imo having to run a large even ICE engine makes the electric motors moot. We can already do crawlers with cranked up 4 cylinders, why build something with a 4 cylinder engine plus a couple electric motors to do the same thing?

And loads like 4ws steering and winching would further add to the power draw.
Yes, 2000watts isn't going to cut it. I was thinking of a 10kw diesel or probably bigger.

Whats the advantage? Hopefully increased efficiency overall from getting rid of the trans, t-case, and diff parasitic drag, but more importantly a design and packaging advantage. You can run axles that are essentially giant upside down u-shape for clearance. No diff to hang up on. No driveshafts to bend or care about in design. The engine is decoupled from the wheels so you can mount it anywhere it makes more sense from a packaging/CG placement. Same with the battery pack. Front digs, rear digs with the flip of a switch, skid steer, overdriving one end or one side etc....

Keep in mind I'm looking at this from a trail rig/crawler/comp crawler view point and not something that is ever really going to see highway speeds. I think if you want to go faster, you'll need way more engine and battery pack.

Just as a fun data point...low single digit MPG figures are common for even a mildly tuned east coast endurance racer around here; the full on KOH guys are at less than 2 MPG. So you're in the neighborhood of 16 kW/h per mile at that level of performance. Yikes!

I spent 13 years working at a company that custom-made our own 3-phase motors for special applications, so the idea of EV stuff really intrigues me, but with available tech I'm not seeing any advantage yet beyond novelty and innovation. For crawling especially, what Jesse Haines and co. are creating with the little turbo engines is gonna be pretty hard to beat. Yes the ability to control each wheel independently is cool in theory but I don't see that being the limiting factor for where the sport is at these days. Again, more a novelty than anything else.

I'd be curious what HYDRODYNAMIC would add here, given his experience with individual wheel motors and non-traditional power delivery on a wheeling rig.

I think that in 10-15 years stuff will be cheap enough that the average guy could start swapping in electric motors and such into our rigs. I think it would be cool to play with.

I wonder how retarted the DMV will be? I realize there is a referee process, but still. Probably retarted.

Most chargers for DIY stuff seem to top at 6.6Kw. But it is possible to set it up for fast charging.

If going fast is involved, go with the v8 and be done with it. Electric won't be there for 20-30 years.

Electric is more suited for replacing the 22re's and small turbo stuff.

The math I've run on steering power draw on a trail rig is around 4 Kw, and that's with front and rear steer turning fast at the same time. But if done properly, it should only draw when turning, and will idle at in the .1-.2 Kw range.

If going fast is involved, go with the v8 and be done with it. Electric won't be there for 20-30 years.

Electric is more suited for replacing the 22re's and small turbo stuff.

I have to disagree, electric has already surpassed internal combustion in terms of out right acceleration in the production car world. The real question is whether you can make the batteries last long enough for it to be worthwhile. Batteries are the limiting factor right now since the energy density, even with the latest battery chemistries, is much lower than diesel or gasoline. A gallon of gasoline has the equivalent energy of 33.7 KWh and weighs ~6 lbs/gal. For example, Tesla's biggest battery pack available in the Model S is ~100kWh, so equivalent to about 3 gallons of gasoline, yet it weighs 1054 Lbs. Now, modern electric motors are ~90% efficient vs. 30-40% for most internal combustion engines, but that is still nowhere close to making up for the disparity in energy density. This represents a ~1,000 Lb weight penalty for an electric vehicle for their source of energy. I figure at most you'll save 500Lbs in drivetrain components compared to an internal combustion vehicle.

Using the Tesla battery for scaling, for an electric crawler to be equivalent to a gas crawler with a 10 gallon fuel cell, it would need a battery pack with 112.3 kWh (assuming 30% efficiency for the gas engine and 90% for the electric motor). This means your crawler would need a ~1,180 Lbs battery to have the same run time as an internal combustion crawler with a 10 gallon fuel tank. 10 gallons isn't very much for a recreational rig either. I think it would be feasible to build an electric comp crawler where they only have to run for 10 minutes, but batteries will prevent making an electric recreational crawler practical; especially considering most offroad areas are remote and you would be stuck recharging with a generator in many cases.

Yes, 2000watts isn't going to cut it. I was thinking of a 10kw diesel or probably bigger.

Whats the advantage? Hopefully increased efficiency overall from getting rid of the trans, t-case, and diff parasitic drag, but more importantly a design and packaging advantage. You can run axles that are essentially giant upside down u-shape for clearance. No diff to hang up on. No driveshafts to bend or care about in design. The engine is decoupled from the wheels so you can mount it anywhere it makes more sense from a packaging/CG placement. Same with the battery pack. Front digs, rear digs with the flip of a switch, skid steer, overdriving one end or one side etc....

Keep in mind I'm looking at this from a trail rig/crawler/comp crawler view point and not something that is ever really going to see highway speeds. I think if you want to go faster, you'll need way more engine and battery pack.

The point I was making is is the engine to recharge and run the system is larger the a small 4 cylinder the packaging isn't an advantage, if you can drastically reduce the ICE there is no advantage.

Guys all's y'all need is a pair of high voltage gloves! You'll beat it.

The future of transaxle buggies?

Ford Crate EV drivetrain

Hot-rodding adoption is 100% going to be the batteries availability and cost.

chevrolet-e10-electric-truck-under-hood.jpg

GMs "connect and cruise" sounds like you'll be able to buy it just like any other crate engine, but I agree, some people will burn some cars to the ground with these things

I have to disagree, electric has already surpassed internal combustion in terms of out right acceleration in the production car world. The real question is whether you can make the batteries last long enough for it to be worthwhile. Batteries are the limiting factor right now since the energy density, even with the latest battery chemistries, is much lower than diesel or gasoline. A gallon of gasoline has the equivalent energy of 33.7 KWh and weighs ~6 lbs/gal. For example, Tesla's biggest battery pack available in the Model S is ~100kWh, so equivalent to about 3 gallons of gasoline, yet it weighs 1054 Lbs. Now, modern electric motors are ~90% efficient vs. 30-40% for most internal combustion engines, but that is still nowhere close to making up for the disparity in energy density. This represents a ~1,000 Lb weight penalty for an electric vehicle for their source of energy. I figure at most you'll save 500Lbs in drivetrain components compared to an internal combustion vehicle.

Using the Tesla battery for scaling, for an electric crawler to be equivalent to a gas crawler with a 10 gallon fuel cell, it would need a battery pack with 112.3 kWh (assuming 30% efficiency for the gas engine and 90% for the electric motor). This means your crawler would need a ~1,180 Lbs battery to have the same run time as an internal combustion crawler with a 10 gallon fuel tank. 10 gallons isn't very much for a recreational rig either. I think it would be feasible to build an electric comp crawler where they only have to run for 10 minutes, but batteries will prevent making an electric recreational crawler practical; especially considering most offroad areas are remote and you would be stuck recharging with a generator in many cases.
Agree, no way that batteries can match gas in volume or weight. But I can't help but wonder how much gas a trail rig uses sitting still and waiting.

Top Back Refresh