What's new

Entertaining ideas for long term overlanding/towing project with 6.0 LS and Dana 60s

Rob50lx

Member Number
Just trying to get some ideas for a overlanding/towing vehicle that could do the Rubicon trail and also flat tow a 5000lb Jeep. I was thinking starting off with a FSJ like a Wagoneer. I would be open to other vehicles. I would like to run 37s with 8x6.5 bolt pattern to match Jeep in tow. Drivetrain would be a 6.0 LS with either a 6 or 8 speed auto and a NP241HD. I figure the older I go, the easier would be to do a stand alone system and simple gauges. I don't have smog checks where I live but I wouldn't mind trying to keep it compliant. Do you think it could be setup to safely tow while still using a good quality leaf spring suspension?

This is kinda what I had in mind, picture stolen from internet.

1977-Jeep-Wagoneer-Cherokee-Chief-2-door-6.0-VortecLS-swap-1.jpg

Some things to consider:
How many people traveling each time on average?
How long would each overland trip be? Distance?

I like the idea of a 3/4 burb for duties like this, but I am biased. I have a 2002 burb 2500 and am planning for duties just as you have described. The real unknown for me would be the Rubicon. I have never been, but would like to some day. I assume the Rubicon requirement is the reason you shied away from a full size rig?

Extended cab Chevy 2500, 05+ Ford Front 60 with redrilled unit bearings to 8x6.5, 37s, bed cap on the back.

Already LS powered, 2007+ will be 6.0L/6spd auto
WFO makes a swap kit for the axle, lots of pretty simple radius arm setups out if you want to do your own.

I wouldn't recommend a Toyota FJ55 :p
Click image for larger version  Name:	Towing55_sml.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.2 KB ID:	56530

But the above covers 6.0L install, narrowed Dana 60, and NV4500. Trying to get some things squared away so I can drive 40 minutes to Rubicon :p

I'd say fairly stable on Wentworth Springs heading away from Rubicon:

The above is with 54" Chevy Tahoe springs.

Last edited:
Some things to consider:
How many people traveling each time on average?
How long would each overland trip be? Distance?

I like the idea of a 3/4 burb for duties like this, but I am biased. I have a 2002 burb 2500 and am planning for duties just as you have described. The real unknown for me would be the Rubicon. I have never been, but would like to some day. I assume the Rubicon requirement is the reason you shied away from a full size rig?

Mostly 2 people and a dog 90% of the time. The more fun it is, the more it will be used here in Colorado. I could see on a few local trips there could be 4 people if I'm willing to make friends. 😁
I'm guessing if it tows well it could log up to 4000 miles a year between Utah and California.

Extended cab Chevy 2500, 05+ Ford Front 60 with redrilled unit bearings to 8x6.5, 37s, bed cap on the back.

Already LS powered, 2007+ will be 6.0L/6spd auto
WFO makes a swap kit for the axle, lots of pretty simple radius arm setups out if you want to do your own.
I like the idea of comfort from the start. I just don't know how well something that big would do in Colorado trails? I would like to keep it low but I don't know if that would be possible with that kind of wheelbase.

do you wanna stay small...??

some day I would love to get an Excursion with a nice lift.. I used to have a friend with one, years ago..

I would prefer as small as possible while still safely and comfortably flat towing a 5000lb Jeep.

I wouldn't recommend a Toyota FJ55 :p

But the above covers 6.0L install, narrowed Dana 60, and NV4500. Trying to get some things squared away so I can drive 40 minutes to Rubicon :p

I'd say fairly stable on Wentworth Springs heading away from Rubicon:

The above is with 54" Chevy Tahoe springs.

I really like that rig!
I had a NV4500 in a Comanche and that was a lot of fun! I am wanting to try one of these fancy new Automatics.

I like the idea of comfort from the start. I just don't know how well something that big would do in Colorado trails? I would like to keep it low but I don't know if that would be possible with that kind of wheelbase.

You could shorten it up. I'm building a F250 it was originally a single cab long bed with 133" wheelbase, I sectioned out 10" from directly behind the cab because of that same reason. You could shorten it that way and take out some length from the front of the bed.

I like the old Wagoneers also. A little bigger than a 4runner or XJ, but no where near a burb.

I like the idea of a K5 Blazer with ~10" taken out of the center also. :grinpimp:

That is not mine. Was built from a 4door tahoe if I remember correctly. Just really liked the idea. Could easily start with a newer model to get the 6.0 and sfa swap it as said earlier. Could easily tow your jeep and have nice living quarters as well. With a pop top and careful building you could keep the weight low and clearances enough to wheel it a good bit.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh