What's new

engineering that makes you want to punch babies.

I’d like to break all the damn fingers of the gm engineer who located the oil filter on the 2016 enclave on the front of the block. You can’t touch the thing from below. Jamb your arms between the hot exhaust manifold and boiling hot radiator. Even cold you can’t get the fucking thing started back on without arm and hand craps because you can’t get your hands jammed in there! 😡

I’d like to break all the damn fingers of the gm engineer who located the oil filter on the 2016 enclave on the front of the block. You can’t touch the thing from below. Jamb your arms between the hot exhaust manifold and boiling hot radiator. Even cold you can’t get the fucking thing started back on without arm and hand craps because you can’t get your hands jammed in there! 😡
Everyone involved with that fucking 3.6 deserves to face a firing squad

Last edited:
My nieces 2015 Chevy Cruze shredded the serpentine belt today. Had to remove the engine mount to replace it.

I had to change the plastic thermostat housing just a few weeks ago.

I replaced the whole valve cover about a year ago.

it’s only got 112k miles on it.

Who the fuck thought putting the entire engine together with etorx bolts was a good idea?

even the tensioner bolt is etorx

My nieces 2015 Chevy Cruze shredded the serpentine belt today. Had to remove the engine mount to replace it.

I replaced the whole valve cover about a year ago.

it’s only got 112k miles on it.

Who the fuck thought putting the entire engine together with etorx bolts was a good idea?

even the tensioner bolt is etorx
Well it's an Opel/Vauxhall so...

Well it's an Opel/Vauxhall so...
damn, in before I could poke fun

I'll add a visual aide:

1676003269849.jpeg

This could be in the tank, bolted anywhere on the engine or frame etc. but it is bolted behind the fucking starter.

Easier to just slap it in your space than to call the fuel tank guys in the office next door and ask them for an in-tank or a frame rail pump. That's what happens when your engineering team is a bunch of retarded jerks who've burnt their bridges with all the other engineering teams in the company.

The giant cast bracket should be a tip-off that the engine guys had something to do with it. :laughing:

Ha, don't get me started. 25 years in manufacturing maintenance has made me one bitter mofo.

I'm still pissed about medicine bottle tops. My fangas are too big to open them.
Same. "Takes a 2yr trade school degree to fix what 10 yrs of college fucked up." Was the first thing I was told my first day as a machine maintenance guy at 21yo by an old dude lol.

I think we can all agree those plastic sealed packages that you need a katana to open suck. I always end up bleeding at Xmas cause of them.

FUCK that thermostat housing.... I had to change the one on my cruze and it has caused be all sorts of headaches... I've had it off and on about 4 times. Finally got to the point that it only leaks a tiny little bit so I just let it go and add a cup of coolant once a month.

FUCK that thermostat housing.... I had to change the one on my cruze and it has caused be all sorts of headaches... I've had it off and on about 4 times. Finally got to the point that it only leaks a tiny little bit so I just let it go and add a cup of coolant once a month.
Aside from having to buy a 1/4" set of etorx bits, and then still having to use a tiny box wrench to remove 2 of the bolts, it wasnt too bad. So far its not leaking that I can see. It just pisses me off that I had to pay $40 for a plastic thermostat.

The engine is totally covered with oil though. I don't think it's coming from the valve cover which seems to be the main place they leak from.

I would have told her not to get it, but She bought it from another Uncle and he sold it to her for a better price than she could get a car locally. He also carries her on his insurance which is cheaper than if she got it on her own. It's costing her about $400 a month to drive this POS.

My friend's daughter had a Cruze and the engine locked up from her driving through a puddle. Some genius designed them with the air intake in the fender well.

hahaha and it dumps oil all over the front engine mount where it'll drip for days unless you hose it off with a can of brake cleaner followed by the garden hose

My friend's daughter had a Cruze and the engine locked up from her driving through a puddle. Some genius designed them with the air intake in the fender well.
Funny story about water crossings. Growing up, I lived out in the middle of nowhere and we had a low water bridge that we had to cross to get home. The culverts were always plugged because nobody important enough for the county to listen to lived out there. Water flowed over the low water bridge as a result all the time. Was never a problem until mom bought a brand new pontiac grand am in 1990. The genius engineers put the air intake right off the raidiator shroud so it could get the freshly heated air from the radiator the fans pulled through. Sure enough going through the crossing on the way home from buying it, the fans get in the water, sling it up into the intake and vapor lock that POS day 1. Dealership sends a dude out to recover it and he pulls plugs and the intake tube and spins the water out of it, plugs us back in and leaves the intake just laying in the engine compartment pointed away from the fans. I learned how stupid engineers were that day.

Has anyone mentioned changing the starter on a fwd honda?

Fucking starter is on the back of the engine, above the driveline, covered by the intake manifold.

And there's only ~3 holes to put your hands, because of the subframe
Ex- had an 88 Accord DX when we first hooked up. IIRC, the alternator was bad. Had to remove the half-shaft to get it dropped out from under the back side of the engine. Could have been the starter, but I think it as the alternator. Memories fade, its been over 20 years now. I fought that thing on jack stands in the muddy grass for an entire weekend fixing it.

Wife had a Saturn Vue XR with the 3.6. Had to change the alternator. Unbolt it, it just won't come out. 1/4" on all sides from pulling right out. I could either remove the radiator or the passenger side motor mount. Chose motor mount, still had to jack the engine up about a 1/4" to get it out.

I still think there should be a crusty old mechanic overseeing design engineers. If they bring him a cluster fuck of a job, he should just kick them square in the balls, vag, whatever.

Daughter's boyfriend has a BMW 3 series. I help him work on it fairly regular as it's getting old. He is very mechanically inclined so it's enjoyable. That car is the strangest mix of simplicity and over enginering I have ever dealt with. Just changing a coil takes 15 minutes of removing crap to get to, then it just has a nifty flip up wire plug retention lock built into the top of the coil so it takes seconds to change it out.

Same. "Takes a 2yr trade school degree to fix what 10 yrs of college fucked up." Was the first thing I was told my first day as a machine maintenance guy at 21yo by an old dude lol.

I think we can all agree those plastic sealed packages that you need a katana to open suck. I always end up bleeding at Xmas cause of them.
HaHa, bag sealers, cappers, induction sealers. 2 hours to change a fucking heater element. 9 hours for a damn load cell swap out. All the while production is running as you lay on the cold stainless steel catwalk being sure not to leave even an ounce of evidence that you were there. Fun times NOT

Or hearing newbies complain about running 120 containers per minute. Yeah mutha fucka, that's the jog speed during uptime. You want slow do that shit when you go on break or off shift. This shit need to go in a damn truck at the end of shift.

The best was sending team members to chase down 2 tenths of a second of cycle time. They never understand right away on how that little touch of time costs over $100k every 1/4.

Damn, I'm really damaged. Lol

Wife had a Saturn Vue XR with the 3.6. Had to change the alternator. Unbolt it, it just won't come out. 1/4" on all sides from pulling right out. I could either remove the radiator or the passenger side motor mount. Chose motor mount, still had to jack the engine up about a 1/4" to get it out.

I still think there should be a crusty old mechanic overseeing design engineers. If they bring him a cluster fuck of a job, he should just kick them square in the balls, vag, whatever.

Daughter's boyfriend has a BMW 3 series. I help him work on it fairly regular as it's getting old. He is very mechanically inclined so it's enjoyable. That car is the strangest mix of simplicity and over enginering I have ever dealt with. Just changing a coil takes 15 minutes of removing crap to get to, then it just has a nifty flip up wire plug retention lock built into the top of the coil so it takes seconds to change it out.
German cars are all a weird mix of "what the fuck" and "thats genius". I have to pull two skid plates and use an extra long 8mm hex socket to get the drain plug out of my wifes Q7 TDI. Fuel filter? Well shit, its right on top of the engine and can be done in 2 minutes. Pull two hose clamps, pull filter, put new one in, tighten. Dont even have to pull the plastic engine cover off:lmao:

Can’t get the forward lower control arm bolt out on a 2004 matrix with the auto. Unless you curse a lot and add much extra force. Still just barely came out.
AD506C20-34EB-42AE-BBAC-8F39C58276BC.jpeg

German cars are all a weird mix of "what the fuck" and "thats genius". I have to pull two skid plates and use an extra long 8mm hex socket to get the drain plug out of my wifes Q7 TDI. Fuel filter? Well shit, its right on top of the engine and can be done in 2 minutes. Pull two hose clamps, pull filter, put new one in, tighten. Dont even have to pull the plastic engine cover off:lmao:
Wife's B5 Passat 2.0T oil filter is in a god awful position, about a 30 degree angle underneath the intake manifold, behind the boost tube, and above the transaxle case. Always a bitch and always a mess.

Of course, this is the same car with a disintegrating plastic dipstick tube that requires replacement every decade or so.

Wife's B5 Passat 2.0T oil filter is in a god awful position, about a 30 degree angle underneath the intake manifold, behind the boost tube, and above the transaxle case. Always a bitch and always a mess.

Of course, this is the same car with a disintegrating plastic dipstick tube that requires replacement every decade or so.

The irony on the Q7 is while its a PITA to drain the oil, the filter is right there on top and easy as shit to remove. Pull the plastic engine cover, unscrew cap, pull filter free. My S4 is the same way, super easy. I finally just bought a mityvac extractor and just extract the oil from above. My s4 came with a dipstick tube and a plug, no dipstick:homer:

lol

shoulda yanked that 150hp turd and swapped in a 90hp tdi turd
As fun as that would be, my wife has had that car a decade longer than she's had me. She loves her little German stick shift shit box, so its my job to keep it running as best I can. It only has something like 135k on it, its just all the stupid plastic shit under the hood that's disintegrating and making my life hell.

Paging 87manche to come in here and explain to us all how German engineering is superior and us peasants just dont understand the superiority of triple square, or aluminum TTY one time use only Etorx fasteners.
I make no bones about my Stockholm syndrome.

Kraut car tried to off me today actually. Needs new hood struts, apparently they're not up to the task anymore.
Been a while since I got knocked out and had a split lip.

As fun as that would be, my wife has had that car a decade longer than she's had me. She loves her little German stick shift shit box, so its my job to keep it running as best I can. It only has something like 135k on it, its just all the stupid plastic shit under the hood that's disintegrating and making my life hell.
Something I've had success with is cutting off the corrugated plastic pcv bullshit from the quick connects and finding barbed fittings underneath. Hydraulic hose has replaced all my broken plastic shit using the factory quick connects.

car is the strangest mix of simplicity and over enginering I have ever dealt with. Just changing a coil takes 15 minutes of removing crap to get to, then it just has a nifty flip up wire plug retention lock built into the top of the coil so it takes seconds to change it out.

It all makes sense after a while and that's the scary part, but this is probably the best sentiment I've read about BMW cars.

Top Back Refresh