What's new

Engine/Trans preventative maintenance? 2003 Silverado

tuffluv

Member Number
Any recommended preventative maintenance for the mechanical "hardware" aspect of the engine and automatic transmission? Nothing's currently broken or causing issues. Is it worth having someone take a look anyway? 2003 Silverado 2500HD, 6-liter gas, 160,000 street miles. All fluids and filters are changed regularly.

I just don't know enough about engine or transmission maintenance to know how to be proactive and prevent a bigger issue in the future.

The 6.0 is pretty solid, and should stay happy as long as you keep up with oil changes. If it’s running well, and shifting properly, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Does the transfer case on that vintage suffer from pump rub? If so, that is something to look out for.

Pump rub. Other than that. I've got 170k with normal shit, Rad, waterpump, front wheel bearing units. Oh, I did have a valve spring break last Oct 5 hrs away from home. That sucked!

Last edited:
Thanks for the confidence boost all. I'll keep up with the fluids and little things that go out along the way. Thanks for the heads-up on the pump rub.

Top Back Refresh