What's new

Ending Qualified Immunity

The point is, I have little to lose, and there are people out there with even less to lose than me. That's why you don't take the law into your own hands, you call the cops.

Anyone bragging that they want to get rid of the Law and take it into their own hands is an untested child. The end game on that is gangs peeling faces off while Funkytown plays in the background. No seriously, go look up the Funkytown video.

and it depends on the situation. anybody who thinks that when they are faced with violence in the moment that calling the cops will save their life is delusional.

If a group of people show up at my house and want to Emmett Till somebody on my property, i don't mind calling the cops AND responding with violence, all at the same time. IF the laws and culture at the time had allowed a situation where his family could have been armed, does anybody see a way that this would have had the same outcome? Sure, there is a chance it could have turned into a much more violent deal, but i'll take violence between consenting adults over ripping a kid out of a house and murdering him based on some bullshit notion or whatever they made up in their heads

i've called the police and believe they have a role to play. hell, i pay for them, might as well use them. the majority of times that i've called the police it was related to car accidents, once there was a gal who wanted to just yell and harass us from the street, she wouldn't calm down until we were on the phone with the sheriff, once she knew they were on their way, she left. Never set foot on my property, never escalated from words to physical. i have no reason to escalate just because somebody was wrongfully disturbed. people that can't understand the difference between words and physical are a significant part of the problem even when dealing with police reform.

Everyone thinks they're a bad-ass. Omar got gunned down by a 9 year old.

I've got theories as to why most big guys are affable and it's not just that everyone was nice to them growing up. It's genetic and part of our species. In European society, we killed off all of the Coincidence between Big and Asshole. Those genes rarely come up together. Makes perfect sense if you think about it from an evolutionary and anthropological standpoint.

Then there was the 70 generations in Europe where we killed about 1% of the male population per year for criminal behavior. That has a genetic drift effect. That's not my theory, someone else basically proved that to me and it's a paper I can't find anymore. I don't espouse the DP, and certainly many unjust killings went on in Europe. But over time it did drift the genetic markets of violent and aggressive behavior. We should be past that now, more than enough wealth and resources to keep people in prison.

Then there is environment and the vagaries of human intelligence which '*' every theory of anthropology and history.

I don't do illegal things so that's not going to happen.

It's a shit-posting board, don't get bent out of shape.

I'm just calling the cops and contacting a Lawyer to ruin anyone's life. Hell I might not even use a Lawyer, I'm fully capable of filing motions. I don't have to win, I just have to keep hauling someone's ass down to the Courthouse until they decide not to show, now the cops are after them.

The point is, I have little to lose, and there are people out there with even less to lose than me. That's why you don't take the law into your own hands, you call the cops.

Anyone bragging that they want to get rid of the Law and take it into their own hands is an untested child. The end game on that is gangs peeling faces off while Funkytown plays in the background. No seriously, go look up the Funkytown video.

I'm not getting bent it was just a simple question.
cops get called trespasser gets arrested gets let out full of rage and retaliates I don't see a difference.

I'm not getting bent it was just a simple question.
cops get called trespasser gets arrested gets let out full of rage and retaliates I don't see a difference.

Yeah, not even sure who he was typing to either. I think he must be bent out of shape or something.:laughing:

Everyone thinks they're a bad-ass. Omar got gunned down by a 9 year old.

I've got theories as to why most big guys are affable and it's not just that everyone was nice to them growing up. It's genetic and part of our species. In European society, we killed off all of the Coincidence between Big and Asshole. Those genes rarely come up together. Makes perfect sense if you think about it from an evolutionary and anthropological standpoint.

Then there was the 70 generations in Europe where we killed about 1% of the male population per year for criminal behavior. That has a genetic drift effect. That's not my theory, someone else basically proved that to me and it's a paper I can't find anymore. I don't espouse the DP, and certainly many unjust killings went on in Europe. But over time it did drift the genetic markets of violent and aggressive behavior. We should be past that now, more than enough wealth and resources to keep people in prison.

Then there is environment and the vagaries of human intelligence which '*' every theory of anthropology and history.

Bullshit. Im a very large dude and a complete asshole. You can go fuck yourself with a rusty can.

Bullshit. Im a very large dude and a complete asshole. You can go fuck yourself with a rusty can.

Nah, here's a large asshole.

tumblr_my9j4eeP1P1shsap3o1_540.jpg

Stanley Williams, co-founder of the Crips. They executed him.

In fact, as a large man, the standards of behavior are literally higher. You and I could commit the exact same assault, and you're getting 2x the sentence.

Who rejected Tookie's stay of execution? Arnold Swarzenegger.

Nah, here's a large asshole.

tumblr_my9j4eeP1P1shsap3o1_540.jpg

Stanley Williams, co-founder of the Crips. They executed him.

In fact, as a large man, the standards of behavior are literally higher. You and I could commit the exact same assault, and you're getting 2x the sentence.

Who rejected Tookie's stay of execution? Arnold Swarzenegger.

Just the same as someone who is trained in some form of hand to hand combat... they get the max sentence for an assault when you may have gotten the minimum. Size surely does matter, but training does too. There are double standards for every damn law on the books. Now if a cop committed the same assault, on the job or not, they are likely to get off unless the victim is someone important. None of this has anything to do with qi though. It has to do with double standards imo

Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Didn't want to start a new thread :

Judge quashes 2 murder indictments against Gerald Goines in connection with 2019 Harding Street raid​

In a twist of events Tuesday morning, a judge set aside two murder indictments against former HPD officer Gerald Goines.

Author: Cory McCord (KHOU)
Published: 2:04 PM CDT March 26, 2024

HOUSTON — On Tuesday morning, Judge Veronica Nelson quashed the two murder indictments against former Houston police officer Gerald Goines.
According to the Harris County District Attorney's Office, it's just another attempt to delay the case and referenced that Nelson's predecessor shot down similar attempts.
It's unclear what the next legal step will be after Nelson's ruling.

Why is Goines charged with murder?​

There are still a lot of questions about what happened before, during and after the botched drug raid that left Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas dead in their home on Harding Street in 2019.
RELATED: Grand jury indicts former HPD officers for alleged involvement in Harding Street raid
Legal experts said a felony was committed during the drug raid that led to the shooting that killed Tuttle and Nicholas.
Police were acting on a tip that turned out to be invalid, which means the no-knock warrant they were serving was fraudulent, experts said. That's why they said Goines is responsible for their deaths even though he didn't pull the trigger.
Goines and four other officers were also shot but they survived.
RELATED: Search warrants released in Harding Street raid that left 2 dead, five officers injured
A massive investigation discovered that dozens of defendants were sent to prison on drug charges based on what prosecutors called "lies" by "dirty cops."
Goines and five other officers were charged with 15 felonies. He also faces federal organized crime charges.

HCDAO statement​

"Today’s actions were no more than another delay tactic by the defense. The Harris County District Attorney’s office is shocked and tremendously disappointed that a judge would choose to revisit this issue, knowing that her predecessor had already ruled the defendant’s position meritless. The office is considering all its options, including amending the indictment, with an eye towards trying this case as soon as possible to ensure justice for the victims of these crimes."

Defense team statement​

"We are disappointed that DA Ogg would again issue a press release mischaracterizing what happened in court. The court is required to and did fairly and dispassionately consider arguments and briefing advanced by both sides in important legal issues. She called it the way she saw it based on the law after the DA’s office had every opportunity to weigh in on the issue in the courtroom. The District Attorney’s Office has insisted on pursuing a strategy in this case that is antithetical to well-established Texas and federal law. The State has advocated legal positions that are tenuous and insupportable for years now in what appears to be a quest to score points in the media as opposed to in a court of law, where a judge and a jury can carefully consider facts and evidence. We look forward to our day in court based on a charge that is not legally defective where the truth regarding what really happened that day on Harding Street can finally come out."

What does quash mean?​

Since the judge "quashed" the murder indictments, that means they have been set aside for the time being.
It can result in a dismissal of charges in a criminal case.

Attempts to get case dismissed​

It's not the first time Goines' defense team has tried to get the charges thrown out.
In 2023, a judge rejected motions by defense attorneys to toss two of his indictments.
RELATED: Judge denies motion to dismiss charges against former HPD officer Gerald Goines
The defense attorneys claimed the charges were "defective" because they didn't clearly spell out why Goines was charged.
Goines' lawyers are also trying to move the trial out of Harris County but the judge hasn't ruled on that issue.

Harding Street fallout​

The district attorney's office had to reopen hundreds of cases tied to Goines, and many charges were dropped.
RELATED: Man declared innocent years after serving in case investigated by Harding Street raid officer
The most recent case involved Frederick Jeffery who was sentenced to 25 years after his 2018 conviction on drug charges. Jeffery was freed on bond in July 2021.

"It feels good because I knew from the get-go I was innocent," Jeffery said after he walked out of jail. "I just had to prove it. God did everything for me. I ain't did nothing but stay down. I thank God for keeping my mama by my side the whole time. I just want to say I thank God and I'm ready."
A judge declared him "actually innocent" and apologized for the five-plus years Jeffery spent behind bars.

it would still take up alot of time and resources to deal with all the lawsuits. Because I bet lots of people would be trying to do that, threaten lawsuits every time they see the police.

I don't know what would work better though.
A big part of the problem is the behavior of the police for the last 20-30 years. Not all of them but enough of them. And the rest of them are at fault for not turning in known problem/dirty cops. They know it will end their career. They essentially took a bribe but that bribe was their career.

Sorry but they have created a giant shit show in their house and it needs to be dealt with.

A big part of the problem is the behavior of the police for the last 20-30 years. Not all of them but enough of them. And the rest of them are at fault for not turning in known problem/dirty cops. They know it will end their career. They essentially took a bribe but that bribe was their career.

Sorry but they have created a giant shit show in their house and it needs to be dealt with.
I know too many of them personally to disagree with this statement.

i think they are way better now than they were 50 years ago. hell i watched a buddy of mine get he ass beat by a highway patrol, while he was hand cuffed.

Thats fair. And I believe body cameras had a lot to do with it. I dont know many cops who think body cameras an awesome.
Our local departments surprisingly embraced body cams. I think the clean cops see them as a way to out the bad apples without having to go on record themselves.

Our local departments surprisingly embraced body cams. I think the clean cops see them as a way to out the bad apples without having to go on record themselves.
I like my current sheriffs department as feel they focus on crime and leave petty stupid shit alone for the most part. The Sheriff is an advocate for liberty and opposes unconstitutional laws ordering his deputies to ignore them as well. That said I am sure there are bad apples in his department but I haven’t meet them.

Top Back Refresh