What's new

End cap strike

Aisin

Grumpy old fuck
Member Number
My Irish luck finally caught up with me. Had a strike yesterday. What would cause this? The only thing I can think of is an undersized bullet. I’m not too happy about it. The gun store is getting me a new end cap.

Attachments

• 35489840-376D-483A-BBEA-8267AF6B4282.jpeg
    35489840-376D-483A-BBEA-8267AF6B4282.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
was the can loose on the muzzle threads?

some retarded memeout 300gr 600fps load?

was the can loose on the muzzle threads?

some retarded memeout 300gr 600fps load?

Can is always threaded on tight. This is 7.62X51. If I was shooting something that slow it would be through a 1:3 twist barrel.

Last edited:
I would think you would have heard and felt the difference if it was an undersized bullet.

You wouldn’t hear or feel shit. It wouldn’t take more than .002 to .003 undersized to do that. A bullet .001 undersized will give you fucked up groups.

so, what load/ammo were you shooting?

what can?

what mount?

what gun?

need more info

i have blown up a can, but never end cap struck one yet.

Aguila 149 grain
Omega 36M
ASR flash hider
Springfield SOCOM 16

well, Aguila ammo is garbage in anything other than 22lr. and even then its only slightly better than Remington Golden Toillet 22lr.

i would read some over on m14.

from a quality manufacturer, id have a hard time believing undersized bullet. Aguilla QC is just terrible so anything is possible. be glad you didnt get a squib and blow the gun up in your face.

well, Aguila ammo is garbage in anything other than 22lr. and even then its only slightly better than Remington Golden Toillet 22lr.

i would read some over on m14.

from a quality manufacturer, id have a hard time believing undersized bullet. Aguilla QC is just terrible so anything is possible. be glad you didnt get a squib and blow the gun up in your face.
I know it’s Mexican ammo. I wasn’t expecting match ammo. I only had one box of it. I bought it a few months ago when I was in Ohio last September. The same thing happened to a gun guy on YouTube recently. He was shooting Lake City 7.62. Undersized ammo was the only thing he could think of. Can you think of any other reason why it would do this? I’m just glad it didn’t send the end cap down range and take the treads with it.

Last edited:
It wasn’t jacket separation. There was a clean .308 round that was keyholed in the target.

It wasn’t jacket separation. There was a clean .308 round that was keyholed in the target.
No chance. Unless you're 10 feet from the target, or shooting at a barn, an end cap strike like that and the bullet is WAY off target. Jacket separation would make more sense if it's what cap struck. Less chance of drastically affecting the bullet.

But if it stayed in tact, I can't get behind a keyhole at 12" off POA or some such.

I actually hunted with a dude who was so overcharged on his reloads, pushing velocity way past safe, his copper jackets came off inflight and imbedded I'm the deers horns he was shooting.

I don't think it was a jacket separation either

No chance. Unless you're 10 feet from the target, or shooting at a barn, an end cap strike like that and the bullet is WAY off target. Jacket separation would make more sense if it's what cap struck. Less chance of drastically affecting the bullet.

But if it stayed in tact, I can't get behind a keyhole at 12" off POA or some such.

I actually hunted with a dude who was so overcharged on his reloads, pushing velocity way past safe, his copper jackets came off inflight and imbedded I'm the deers horns he was shooting.

I don't think it was a jacket separation either
There was a clear key hole in the target. I don’t exactly remember the distance but it was there. Plain as day. I noticed it on the second magazine of 10 rounds. My father also saw it.

There was a clear key hole in the target. I don’t exactly remember the distance but it was there. Plain as day. I noticed it on the second magazine of 10 rounds. My father also saw it.
I’ve seen it with a baffle strike on my obsidian 45. Only 15 yards though, but in the 7 ring.

Could it be the rounds were undercharged and not stabilized? Not all but a few?. Would explain the strike and key hole.

Could it be the rounds were undercharged and not stabilized? Not all but a few?. Would explain the strike and key hole.
None of them felt undercharged. I have the gas cut all the way back with an adjustable gas plug. It probably wouldn’t have cycled the rounds or locked the bolt back.

How about a malformed bullet, or an air space in the core. That would probably buzz like crazy and be way off target though.

Top Back Refresh