What's new

Enclosed trailer, V-nose vs?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
My FIL is looking at enclosed trailers and found a V nose he likes. Like all the way to the jack V. I've always thought V noses were stupid and heard they don't make almost any difference drag/mpg wise. Quick Google shows mixed info as usual.

One guy said that straight line they aren't much different, but when you pass a semi the air hits them differently and really pushes the trailer. Other people had wild claims like their 1/2 can pull their 24x8 V nose at 75 but a flat 16x7 it kicks in and out of OD.

What's the word here?

Will it help that much on mpg?

Unless you're hauling sleds (snowmobiles for most of you :flipoff2:) in a V nose with a front ramp I don't see any reason to own one. It just seems like wasted space with no real upsides to me. I have a 24' 7k enclosed and have towed my friends 20+4 V nose to the same location 350 miles away with my race car and a similar amount of shit thrown in and didn't notice a difference in mpg. The difference I did notice is I couldn't pack stuff nearly as well and couldn't fit as many 3/4 wheelers and pit bikes.

Some manufacturers measure to the front of the V and some measure the length excluding the V. Make sure you know what you are getting.

I totally agree on the V only being for a sled trailer. It is harder to pack stuff or build shelves into the V.

When he first said 28', I was thinking that was the "square" space. But it was including the v, which went allllll the way to the coupler :laughing:

Luckily, he picked up an 8.5' x 24' 14k with only a very slight V.

Only thing I can add after using a V nose at a fire for a couple weeks is that the interior V is kinda cool for a desk or a tiny kitchen area.

Yeah, I don't think the V helps much, if at all, with fuel mileage. It's still a big ass sail.

Ive got a 22+5. Its a car trailer with a snowmobile ramp door on the front. That door does come in awfully handy. It's currently storing a car and an atv. And its nice to be able to grab the quad without having to move the car. Also loading and unloading that door is used a lot for various things. Glad I have it, but you do loose a lot of usable space with the V

if you're that concerned with aero, put together some of those tail flaps like some semi trailers have

I really like the look of the v-nose trailers with the door on one side, seems like it'd be good for not blocking the door with shit

I don't see how it can't be beneficial 90% of the time on the road.

As far as the last 10%, the time you may spend on the highway next to a semi, well ... the extra space inside is worth it for me. $.02

aero is strange
pointy things can have more drag than blunter things at subsonic velocities
ideal is raindrop shaped

another thing that plays into it is that you're working with the air from directly behind the tow vehicle. Pull along a pocket of stagnant air and it can all flow better than if you try and make the trailer flow better because you're just increasing drag on the truck side of the equation.

Aero is wierd.

As far as the last 10%, the time you may spend on the highway next to a semi, well ... the extra space inside is worth it for me. $.02

The more space you have the more useless shit you tend to carry in it. All that extra weight decreases fuel milage thus canceling the gains from the V nose. :flipoff2:

aero is strange
pointy things can have more drag than blunter things at subsonic velocities
ideal is raindrop shaped

another thing that plays into it is that you're working with the air from directly behind the tow vehicle. Pull along a pocket of stagnant air and it can all flow better than if you try and make the trailer flow better because you're just increasing drag on the truck side of the equation.

Aero is wierd.

Probably why we don't see V nose bullet trains. Even the futuristic semi truck designs all have that swooped back shape like the bullet trains.

Interesting subject. I'm considering an enclosed trailer which'll be towed mostly by a taller rig (Sprinter).
Was pondering if sloping the front would be beneficial at all or if the trailer being in the vortex behind the hauler would make that modification worthless.

Something along the lines of this:
1.jpg

I'm sure there is some aerodynamic benefit, but I doubt there would be much of a real-world gain over a square shaped trailer. Especially when towing with a tall box van, where you're cutting all the air up anyway.

Interesting subject. I'm considering an enclosed trailer which'll be towed mostly by a taller rig (Sprinter).
Was pondering if sloping the front would be beneficial at all or if the trailer being in the vortex behind the hauler would make that modification worthless.

Something along the lines of this:
1.jpg
prolly gain a lot more pinching in the sides of it at the top than the front
those tall roof sprinters are pretty narrow up top
think "frontal area"

Every time I think about replacing my flat front 6x10 with a V front I look at the tongue box and all the crap in there and wonder where it would go. Only thing I would like to do is add a spare tire holder that hangs above the box for the two spares I usually throw in the truck bed. Then the "V" area would be essentially full, just outside the enclosed space.

Glad to hear the aero issues are a wash.

In the V :confused: ..... with 3x the available height :flipoff2:
I'd have to build a V shaped internal box on a newly purchased trailer to replace a box? Cause that crap isn't just going to hover! :flipoff2:

This is a low budget box that keeps all my reenactment camping gear in one place and occasionally goes somewhere to be set up. It really works just fine. I need to make a thread on it as I start making it function as a covert camper as well.

Top Back Refresh