What's new

Element Brand Fire Extinguisher...... Interesting!

SLOWPOKE693

🖕TROUBLES🖕
race
Member Number
Loc
Somewhere in Texas
I have been looking for a fire extinguisher to put in my SxS. The typical 2.5lb bottle is a bit bulky, and one charged with Halon or other stuff that doesn't leave residue everywhere is expensive! While browsing on another site I came across these: https://elementfire.com. :smokin:

Anybody have experience with these? Seems like a better alternative to a normal fire extinguisher for a multitude of reasons.

Am I missing something?

If you find a smokin deal on those please share, I want to get a couple of those to replace 5 lb. bottles with dry chem nasty stuff.

If you find a smokin deal on those please share, I want to get a couple of those to replace 5 lb. bottles with dry chem nasty stuff.

Whats a smoking deal? I've never seen them before and don't think the price is all that bad vs the equivalent. $80 for one that discharges for 50 seconds sounds reasonable to me. :confused:

Yep $80 is about the going price. if I wait long enough I'm sure it will go up.
And here is bunny with a pancake for content.
pancake_bunny.jpg?1249339142.jpg

Thanks for the link. I remember that thread now, but I missed the posts about the Element extinguisher, but remember the Fire Bomb. :laughing: Guess nobody has any real experience with the Element yet.

I will be the guinea pig and order one for my racecar. The small size, 50 second discharge time and the never needs service aspect has me sold.

Hopefully I'll never have to use it and post a review.:eek:

Thanks for the link. I remember that thread now, but I missed the posts about the Element extinguisher, but remember the Fire Bomb. :laughing: Guess nobody has any real experience with the Element yet.

I will be the guinea pig and order one for my racecar. The small size, 50 second discharge time and the never needs service aspect has me sold.

Hopefully I'll never have to use it and post a review.:eek:

In a race car, wouldn't you want an actual fire system as your first line of defense? Or do you already have that?

It does seem pretty neat.

My take a way from watching their video is that you need to be really close to the fire for it to work. Doesn't look like it shoots very far. Certainly not the end of the world, but just my observation.

Interesting that the main ingredient is potassium nitrate.....................which is also used in gun powder. Probably why it seems to slowly fizz.

I just ordered a 50 to toss in my DD. Was $89 and change with shipping. So, I'll have one soon, but I hope to never have any real experience with it.:grinpimp:

Now I want a rabbit with a pancake hat too:flipoff2:

I am a connoisseur of fire extinguishers. Water, Halon, HalGuard, Purple K, ABC. Always played with them as a kid and never went away. Refilled the them with water, or water and flour and food coloring and would spray anything I could find. Some turned into air cannons. Anyway this looks promising. ABC's really destroy what didn't get burned up so this is a good replacement for Halon or the like. It might not have the extended knockdown power of a #5 or #10 when you don t want to get close but it has a purpose or a supplemental use. For racing a built in unit is the best way to go, cant loose it and its right where it needs to be. But this element is small enough to put in a backpack or pocket, so it could be very useful for tight trail or climbing where a heavy ABC would slow you down or not be possible to bring.

It looks interesting, but I'm very skeptical. Notice it was a small, unobstructed fire, and he had to practically put his hand in it to put it out. What if there was a little breeze, or a less contained fire and you have to work around and engine. Anyone who's tried it, the accelerant will generally re-ignite as you try and blanket another portion of the fire. I'll have to Google some independent evaluations.

Bringing this back from the dead. I just ordered a bunch of these. I realized my kitchen fire extinguisher was totally packed off, and it kinda spooked me. As in, surely the RV extinguisher is also compacted, and the shop one, and the one that bounced around on the rzr cage…

Anyway, I like the idea of these solid-state fire extinguishers. I wish they had more thrust for outdoor fires, but what I really need them to do is be at least functional when I’ve forgotten they existed for 5 years.

So, we’ll have a bunch of them. I know they’ll work better than a compacted conventional extinguisher. And for indoor stuff, they might work better than a working conventional one. No idea about the rest.

Some of the videos I've watch on them they definitely don't have much throw and a decent breeze might cause them grief. I have one mounted on my buggy doghouse and just got a fire port for an inboard boat engine with the idea if ever had a fire in the engine/trans/hydraulic area light that element off and shove it down the fire port where it will be protected from outside wind more and be at the area most likely where a fire would be at the fuel rail connection and major hydraulic steering interconnect.

20221112_070437.jpg

Sorta relevant...

These are hot for VWs. I don't see why it wouldn't work in any engine bay.

1920434.jpg

$278.19
Protect your cherished ride from potentially going up in flames with the BLAZE CUT Automatic Fire Protection System. It uses HFC-236fa, which is an extremely effective, clean and people-safe extinguishing medium.

HOW IT WORKS:
If ever the temperature in your engine compartment rises to a critical threshold of 248°F, the detection tube melts down, releasing the entire extinguishing agent onto the source of the fire. The tube has both storage and detection function which means that the extinguishing agent is stored directly in the tube and no additional storage device like a cylinder is required.

HFC-236fa (1,1,1,3,3,3-Hexafluoropropane) is noncorrosive, electrically non-conductive, free of residue, and has an ODP of zero. It is considered an environmentally acceptable alternative compound for Halon 1211. HFC-236fa is a Streaming agent most commonly used in hand held, portable fire extinguishers.

Saw this thread bumped back up. I just checked my RV conventional extinguisher the other night. I beat on it with a rubber mallet trying to get it uncompacted. I don’t think I ever got it done—I think it’s still useless. RV manufacturers mount extinguishers vertically, and then they get bounced down a road for years. I’ve had my RV for a bit over a year, and it’s the original 11 yr old extinguisher.

Check your RV fire extinguishers. If you can’t get a moving powder sound out of it, it’s just there for looks.

Bringing this back from the dead. I just ordered a bunch of these. I realized my kitchen fire extinguisher was totally packed off, and it kinda spooked me. As in, surely the RV extinguisher is also compacted, and the shop one, and the one that bounced around on the rzr cage…

Anyway, I like the idea of these solid-state fire extinguishers. I wish they had more thrust for outdoor fires, but what I really need them to do is be at least functional when I’ve forgotten they existed for 5 years.

So, we’ll have a bunch of them. I know they’ll work better than a compacted conventional extinguisher. And for indoor stuff, they might work better than a working conventional one. No idea about the rest.
any feedback yet?

Been looking for a black friday sale on them... no luck yet.

Sorta relevant...

These are hot for VWs. I don't see why it wouldn't work in any engine bay.

1920434.jpg

To add to this, here's the manufactures website:

And they have a vehicle application guide as well:

Just look up the part number it give you on the web.

20D576F6-5D69-431C-8852-13F084F49BB7.jpeg

I haven’t used one yet. But damn, are they compact and lightweight. We have one on each side of the golf cart.

From the demo video it looks like you juat about have to stick it into the base of a very small contained fire to get it to work efficiently. It also takes a few seconeds for it to start working.
It does look like it may be good to have near a barbeque or stove.... but for a trail rig id prefer to have something that anyone inside or out can easily grab and know how to use. Any fire that my jacket or some dirt wont smother Id want the biggest baddest extinguisher I could pack along and wouldnt want to mess with something inferior. At that point I dont care about the damage the chemicals would cause.

However this is coming from someone who just lost his rv to a fire that one of these would have saved :homer:

I have one of these in my Delorean. I have a regular one also. The standard one puts a fire out fast, but if you have ever had an oil line squirting at a hot manifold, you want a long lasting fire extinguisher. Never used it yet.

I have one of these in my Delorean. I have a regular one also. The standard one puts a fire out fast, but if you have ever had an oil line squirting at a hot manifold, you want a long lasting fire extinguisher. Never used it yet.
These standard units last 50 seconds. Far longer than a dry chem 2 lber and even a 5lber.

I linked them awhile back, My kid has been running them in his LC for a year or so, no first hand use, but like the idea.

From the demo video it looks like you juat about have to stick it into the base of a very small contained fire to get it to work efficiently. It also takes a few seconeds for it to start working.
It does look like it may be good to have near a barbeque or stove.... but for a trail rig id prefer to have something that anyone inside or out can easily grab and know how to use. Any fire that my jacket or some dirt wont smother Id want the biggest baddest extinguisher I could pack along and wouldnt want to mess with something inferior. At that point I dont care about the damage the chemicals would cause.

However this is coming from someone who just lost his rv to a fire that one of these would have saved :homer:
My thought here is that it's a definite compromise that you have to get so close to the fire. But, I think I've lost all faith in a regular fire extinguisher since I'm never going to remember to maintain it. And they're so damned bulky that I couldn't store the regular extinguisher where it was reachable from the driver's seat. So, this to me looks like something that's got several compromises, but will always be there and functional when you need it.

Our local club did a group buy of the element extinguishers. We bought about 50 of them for just about everyone. Have one in my tow rig, one in my crawler. It supplements a traditional bottle in my crawler.

If the element can't put the fire out, then hopefully it can delay long enough for someone I'm with to help, or enough time to grab another extinguisher. Worst case scenario, it'll hopefully give me enough time to get out of the vehicle before being burned alive.

One of the big advantages is how small the elements are. I have it behind my head, always reachable. The bottle is a little farther out of my reach while belted in.

Put out an electrical fire in the shop next door with one…breaker panel shorted out due to overload and someone who needs his man card revoked. Long story short, worked great, I can see if it’s a raging inferno that it would be a challenge to use…I’ll see if I can find a pic of the aftermath

good to hear! I'm not sure about the stick it in the fire to start it, I thought you were to strike the cap on the open end?

Top Back Refresh