What's new

Electronic gurus and customers of satellite internet

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
I would like electronic opinions and personal experiences on satellite internet use.

My reason: For backcountry navigation via 4X4 (Bronco).
I'll be in the mountains; 2,000 to 10,000+ft elevation.

I'm looking at handheld devices and discovered satellite internet.

1) Anyone here use it?
2) And/or understand how it works?
3) How well do they work in said mountains?

I'm an old-school map-n-compass guy.

My idea is to have the convenience of a handheld with said map and compass as a backup.
Use it like google-map, but for fire roads/trails/mountain roads.

I'm not concerned about speed as much as I am getting/maintaining/re-connecting signal(s).

Cell phone/tablet and download the maps
Google maps and Here maps both let you download the map data

Flecker recommended Samsung tablet with built in real gps.

fXa9HqX.jpg

Been happy using this for GPS location/map via smartphone. Won't route or search locations but helpful for locating where you're at quickly on PDF maps which you download.

https://www.avenza.com/avenza-maps/
Cool! :smokin:

I'm looking at their website.

Please excuse my electronics ignorance :emb4: :
What does: "All of our maps work offline without the internet" mean?

It can keep track of my posit W/O the internet?

GPS, the word you’re looking for is GPS.

Excellent point.

I'm familiar with GPS.

However; since I don't know jack-squat about electronics; I don't how GPS works.

Do I have GPS in my smart phone that keeps track of me when I'm in the mountains even when I lose internet signal?

It appears Avenza app does use the GPS in my smart phone to work with their map app.

A cheap/free beater cell phone in a good case with Avenza or Orux will do what you want. Just make sure it is both GPS and GLONASS capable and has a decent battery. You can get the GIS maps for free for them, or load other stuff in.

Or use your primary phone or a tablet with those.

Excellent point.

I'm familiar with GPS.

However; since I don't know jack-squat about electronics; I don't how GPS works.

Do I have GPS in my smart phone that keeps track of me when I'm in the mountains even when I lose internet signal?

It appears Avenza app does use the GPS in my smart phone to work with their map app.

Yes, you have a gps antenna that interacts with satellites separately from your phone service

I've been using us too maps for a while. Seems to work decent.

You just have to make sure you cashe (download and save) the area you are going to be using it. Also make sure you select the zoom level you want to down load. A few times I've forgot to do this and only being able to zoom in to County level doesn't do a lot of good :flipoff2:

while not what you want (sounds like you just need a quality GPS https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP.../dp/B00HWL9BQ4 )

https://www.mobilsat.com/HughesNet/

hughes net does appear to offer mobile sat internet

HughesNet does still offer mobile Ku-Band service plans through authorized VARs like Mobil Satellite Technologies utilizing the HughesNet HN7000s and HughesNet HN7700s satellite modems, although most manufacturers of mobile automatic satellite equipment are slowly dropping Hughesnet capable motorized VSAT antennas from their product lines.

https://www.mobilsat.com/Mobile-satellite-internet/

well, sumbitch, there ya go.

Hughes net is a joke and a scam, fuck them

according to that website, hughes net is becoming more and more unsupported with mobile internet solutions. they list others at the second link and sell the stuff for them

edit: there is no real reason why mobile internet would be any more difficult than mobile TV, and sat TV has been on RV's for decades

Hughes net can go suck a fat baby's cock.

You can use a portable GPS unit, like the garmin etrex, or similar, for a backup, if you want...just remember any GPS unit will need a clear line of sight to the sky, and a wider view will result in more precise location reporting.

according to that website, hughes net is becoming more and more unsupported with mobile internet solutions. they list others at the second link and sell the stuff for them

edit: there is no real reason why mobile internet would be any more difficult than mobile TV, and sat TV has been on RV's for decades

it's incredibly different.

those devices are not bidirectional.

It's not hard to receive a signal, but to send one back to the satellite from a moving vehicle/object is a whole nother animal.

it's incredibly different.

those devices are not bidirectional.

It's not hard to receive a signal, but to send one back to the satellite from a moving vehicle/object is a whole nother animal.

valid point, but it is apparently a thing.

I'm still rocking the Samsung Tablet A with actual GPS, like crisbee1 mentioned. The thing flat ROCKS. I live in remote AZ (so does crisbee I think?) and it runs pretty flawlessly. Maps.me app works offline! I did download a crap ton of maps at the casa... pretty much the entire US. It's free... I do have back country explorer to though, but just maps.me is pretty dam aweseome. :grinpimp:

GPS, the word you’re looking for is GPS.

Best reply

When i did the gambler 500 (ozarks) i had a cheap tablet, like 70 bucks. Then i downloaded google maps and downloaded offline maps for the entire state of arkansas. Worked great. Just gotta make sure that the tablet has the gps as a module and not dependent cellular

Best reply

When i did the gambler 500 (ozarks) i had a cheap tablet, like 70 bucks. Then i downloaded google maps and downloaded offline maps for the entire state of arkansas. Worked great. Just gotta make sure that the tablet has the gps as a module and not dependent cellular

I did this for my parents. iPad cell/wifi has the gps antenna even though you don’t use the cell portion

Do any of you guys use the Maverick app.

I've been using it for years and it's been awesome.

Do any of you guys use the Maverick app.

I've been using it for years and it's been awesome.

To be honest, I hadn't even heard of it... off to google it! I have about 5 map apps I have downloaded, so the more the merrier. :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh