What's new

Electronic door locks that don’t suck

Aggie06

I ain't the one to blame.
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
Looking for a electronic home door lock (mainly want a keypad not necessarily Bluetooth capable) that doesn’t suck. We live on the coast which means constant humidity, and a fairly consistent SE wind that blows right into our front door. Schlage brand locks seem to crap out quickly, and Kwikset isn’t much better. Anyone have recommendations for a lock that will last more than a year?

Bought one off Amazon I think it is a Schlage at least 2 years ago and have had no problems with it (Well mom does sometimes but she is 92.) But then we live in a desert and have a storm door in front of it

Bought one off Amazon I think it is a Schlage at least 2 years ago and have had no problems with it (Well mom does sometimes but she is 92.) But then we live in a desert and have a storm door in front of it

The storm door probably helps. Ours is exposed to morning sun, and humidity. I’ve been through two schlage and one kwikset. The humidity seems to kill the electronics.

We had schlage in ND. They seemed to be good for 5+years even with the cold. Just change the batteries yearly. The one on my house is 3 years old and still going.

It's probably the salt that kills them. Don't know that you'll get any better unless you go to an old style manual pin code lock.

Do you NEED the electric lock part?

I just put a manual keypad lock on my shop, it works great and I do not see it ever breaking.

What is the benefit to a keypad lock? Just the convenience of not having a key? How hard are they to hack? :confused:

Ours would be pretty hard as the lock mechanism seems messed up as well. It’s just convenient to not have an extra key to lug around. It also allows other people to drop off stuff in our house when we aren’t home without having a key.

Do you NEED the electric lock part?

I just put a manual keypad lock on my shop, it works great and I do not see it ever breaking.

Going to look at the manual keypad. I’m having better luck online, go figure, Lowe’s or Home Depot didn’t have very many options in the store the last time I looked.

Going to look at the manual keypad. I’m having better luck online, go figure, Lowe’s or Home Depot didn’t have very many options in the store the last time I looked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buy that. My house had a few different types on various doors but none of them were great. I went through this same search 6 months ago. the locks that open/close the bolt are all mediocre. They eat batteries and i find that they dont work at least 15% of the time.

The lock i just recommended only uses the battery to engage the knob to turn the bolt. You have to turn it yourself. Works every time. I think that this and the mechanical lock are the best options. I would have gotten a mechanical lock, but they all cost quite a bit more than this.

Top Back Refresh