What's new

Electric vacuum pump for crawler (?)

No way

Viking Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Under the bus
Looking for input/experiences with running a stand alone electric vacuum pump rather than using the engine's vacuum. Alternatively using both via a t-section and directional valves.
Want to increase brake power at idle/low revs.

Would the el-pump be running continuously or activated by brake pedal?
Do they provide enough vacuum to run alone or should they be a supplement to engine vacuum? EV's only run electric pumps.. thinking I might pull one from like a Nissan Leaf or sumptn like that.

We just did one on a car in the shop I work at. I wasnt part of it but i did check up on it. They tee'd the pump into the supercharger. I'm thinking this was a mistake, but i didnt get to research it. The SC doesnt make enough vacuum, so this was the solution. So why tee it into the manifold? Wouldnt all the extra vacuum that the pump makes just get used up pulling air in from the intake? I think it would run constantly, but could be used with a pressure transducer.

an ev that has a vac pump has to be the fundimentaly dumbest thing on the planet, so i really shouldnt be all that surprized.

Most elec vac pumps are preasure triggered. Ie vac drops pump kicks on.

How often and how well all depends on consumption, pump, resivior.

We just did one on a car in the shop I work at. I wasnt part of it but i did check up on it. They tee'd the pump into the supercharger. I'm thinking this was a mistake, but i didnt get to research it. The SC doesnt make enough vacuum, so this was the solution. So why tee it into the manifold? Wouldnt all the extra vacuum that the pump makes just get used up pulling air in from the intake? I think it would run constantly, but could be used with a pressure transducer.
Would have to bee teed with check valves on each line so the two vacuum suppliers don't suck each other off :grinpimp:
I am currently running a setup where the booster gets vacuum from the intake as well as a separate mechanical cam driven vacuum pump.

an ev that has a vac pump has to be the fundimentaly dumbest thing on the planet, so i really shouldnt be all that surprized.

Most elec vac pumps are preasure triggered. Ie vac drops pump kicks on.

How often and how well all depends on consumption, pump, resivior.
Suppose that makes sense. An engine will provide RPM-variable vacuum but still at least continuous vacuum while it's running.
May have to add a reservoir into the equation..

Just change the brake system to run a manual or hydraulic booster.

Electric booster from a Tesla or Honda seems to be the new rage. I think with how successful they are I wouldn't bother with this setup. There is an imposter thread in this forum.

Cab over npr will have a decent vacuum pump but it’s still intended for emergency use.

JK/JL have a vacuum pump. I haven't sorted out how it assists demand or if it can be full time. They're inexpensive and readily available though

A large number of cars use a Delco-style vacuum pump and they are cheap -

Most of the pumps have a vacuum switch inside that is around ~10 in/hg. And no, I won't translate that to metric. Some don't but vacuum switches are pretty common:

My 2012 F150 had a vacuum pump. They were known for failing and $500. They weren't full time either.

Ibooster seems worth the effort.

Would a 100% duty cycle viar etc. make a good vacuum pump?

Only one I've seen in a Super Duty is belt driven same as the F350 and 250. Least it was on my 90, 91 and 98 Super Duties.

Yes, obs is belt driven, which is why I said superduty :flipoff2:

I guess I'm not sure exactly what year, maybe it wasn't right at 99, but they definitely switched.

Jacobs makes a belt driven pumps for sd.

All pickup 12v/24v have vac pumps so the obvious answer is 12v swap it.

Yes, obs is belt driven, which is why I said superduty :flipoff2:

I guess I'm not sure exactly what year, maybe it wasn't right at 99, but they definitely switched.
Yes, Super Duty is OBS. 89? TO 98 for sure. Then after renamed to F450.

It was belt driven on the 7.3l. They moved to an electric pump in 03 with the 6.0

Pretty sure they had a resivoir as well. I don't see why you couldn't run two, or just one larger one.
The 7.3 superdooky had the electric vacuum pump for the dash/vacuum hubs though.

The 7.3 superdooky had the electric vacuum pump for the dash/vacuum hubs though.

nope. Unless it was later. (02-03 era)

Even the 99's had the belt driven pump. A lot of guys swap in the 6.0 one, just to remove the belt pump, because it's only driving the dash & hubs,

1728933912915.png

Youre talking F-Superduty

I'm talking superduty as in 99+ F250/350/450/550
Yes.

When someone says they have a Super Duty, figured that was an F-Super Duty. Had no idea they reused it again for other trucks.

Not a Ford guy, just happen to have owned a couple Super Duties and an F-350. Could be Dodge, Chev, Datsun, whatever for all I care, long as it hauls shit like it's supposed to :laughing:

Yes.

When someone says they have a Super Duty, figured that was an F-Super Duty. Had no idea they reused it again for other trucks.

Not a Ford guy, just happen to have owned a couple Super Duties and an F-350. Could be Dodge, Chev, Datsun, whatever for all I care, long as it hauls shit like it's supposed to :laughing:

You didn't know the most popular/common HD pick up line have been called superduty's for the last 25 years? :laughing:

You didn't know the most popular/common HD pick up line have been called superduty's for the last 25 years? :laughing:
Like I said, I don't keep track of light duty stuff much. Newest one I've worked on is a 98.
Long as it runs and hauls they could call it a floppingcock for all I care.

Top Back Refresh