What's new

electri-tards bug zapper tech

total newb

senior jerk ass
Member Number
Loc
trinity center ca
My beloved set'em on fire 3500 done gone and burnt the trans on me.

I need a replacement trans but have zero info on the existing trans. See any where from 2k-10kv. No info on trans other than ink stamped proprietary #

Aprox 2.25"x 3.75" and enough v x @ to light a fat moth up.

20200605_214500.jpg

Looks like fun...

I need something like that to off a specific creature that needs killing and grilling.

Ill talk to you about this more later....

10kv, go big or go home

Cut it open and see if you can get an idea of the ratio of primary to secondary windings. That should get you a ballpark number if its doable.

What kind of voltage would a old ford coil (wood case) provide ?

I need a samwitch of material like chicken wire with insulated standoffs between in witch to smoke the critters.

Going diggin in my storage to find said old ford coil.

Zl1fXdwr.jpg

gLiAikg_d.webp

Last edited:
I found a lable inside the cage. El-zoppo/zappo "high voltage" but couldnt get a pic worth a shit of it.

Couldnt seem to get it apart either, i think the lamp may be corroded into the sockets.

photo7536.jpg

photo7537.jpg

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120330140306AAEmVU1
Most of them seem to be 5600 volts@9ma but I saw one years ago @16 ma that really roasted the little buggers. I have one made by the El-Zoppo corp that uses a 700 volt transformer and a voltage doubler circuit up to 1400 volts with a capacitor across the grid. When the transformer crapped out I replaced it and increased the output capacitor to 1 mfd. It doesn't go zzzzzt, it goes Bang! The bigger the capacitor the bigger the bang but I've got neighbors so I stopped at 1 mfd. It kills everything except Japanese Beetles.They are too well insulated. I think the wings must be made of plastic. This years experiment is adding pear nectar and sugar as bait. It works great in my bee traps.

Get a 5kv neon sign transformer off amazon. That should do the job.

Ill have to experiment with the transformers ive collected.

They are huge and putout upwards of 10kv.

Ill have to experiment with the transformers ive collected.

They are huge and putout upwards of 10kv.

You have a substation, or a different definition of huge?

Get a 5kv neon sign transformer off amazon. That should do the job.

Thats what i was thinking. I installed neon for a long time and have taken plenty of shocks from transformers and am frankly a little surprized at the volt/ma rateing of the zappers. A 12kv/30ma trans is a good tickle but not what i would think would be suitable for these zappers.

Most modern trans have a " sense" in them and wont like the open load of no current. They will just shut off, fire prevention.

That being said. An old school 7k/60ma transco would be a hell of a thing. But to much voltage will just build a jacobs ladder with a flowing arc. A 12kv will reach about 2".

A few neon sign transformers and other 240 primary to 3 - 4k transformers.

And some caps from the 1970's that weigh 100lbs each.

A few neon sign transformers and other 240 primary to 3 - 4k transformers.

And some caps from the 1970's that weigh 100lbs each.

PCB’s in those old capacitors makes for for expensive disposal. They can’t be installed anywhere legally.

Top Back Refresh