What's new

EGT Probes

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
Never planed placing an EGT probe, just know it goes before the turbo. Have a few questions...

• Shopping around is seems like there are a few types of connections, do I need to pick a gauge first?
  • Closed tip? Open?
  • Brands matter or are they like meat probes, all the same :laughing:
  • I don't have a ton of room so I'm looking to tap this 3/4" SS adapter. If not I could go through the back of the manifold but would prefer not to.
IMG_9615.JPG

Last edited:
Closest to the exhaust valve as possible.
Thermocouple and gauge are symbiotic items.
Shitty gauge is shitty gauge.
Buy once...
Lotsa other stuff also.

Eta another autometer unit here. Probably 8-10 years old.

Last edited:
Ive used the same Autometer GS series pyro on my 7.3 for at least 10 years now with no issues.

Originally I had my temp probe right at the turbo outlet, but later I moved it into the driver side manifold. I found that it reacted faster, and saw higher peak temps, almost 200°. I was expecting it to read hotter, but it's interesting how the heat soak in the turbo affected the readings- not just in the peak temps but also in how fast it would rise and cool off. Id highly recommend you get your temps from as close to the head as possible, altho with it setup the way yours is, id imagine there will be minimal difference between the manifold or that adapter.

My stainless steel custom headers on my 07 Chevrolet 6.6 lbz uses 1/8 pipe or at the largest 1/4 female pipe bung welded to the tube for a pyrometer probe.

This may sound hack as fuck but I've drilled and tapped stainless a couple times over the years and did it using copious amounts of candle wax as a lubricant.
I'm no expert, but 8 of 10 times it goes fine for me, but those other two gall up, snap a tap in the hole, demo the threads or just fight me the whole way. I've had better luck since switching from motor oil to tap magic as a lube.

Top Back Refresh