What's new

Educate me on Calif green sticker and impact to Rubicon use

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Short: I've got a no-op truck I'm considering green stickering for Rubicon use(~40 mins away)

Long: I've got a no-op S10 truck and I'm trying to learn about green stickering as well what green stickering means in regards to Rubicon.

I've done some reading here:

So, long list of questions:
1) What is main benefit of green sticker truck? I've heard hints that it means no smog test every two years. Is it cheaper than regular registration(~$160 for my s10)?
2) What is main downside? I've heard not able to get normal registration without a lot of effort. I've heard minimal onroad use; basically areas around OHV area.
3) Is flat towing allowed? My thought is flat tow the s10 with my mid level wheeler and let my wife use one.
4) Are green stickered trucks still insurable? My thought is high liability only.
---Rubicon specific----
5) What areas around Rubicon are green sticker friendly?
6) What areas would Ken Marcus camp for ticketing(ie bad areas)?

The truck has enough issues that it isn't worth the effort to get reg/smog because I won't earn a bunch of money selling it.

Dmv.ca.gov

Purty sure it's a "not touch pavement" kinda deal, it WON'T be an work around for fees and smog! ( smog yes ? Maybe) pruty sure I cannot ride my green stickered bikes on road, it gives you the ok to trail ride me thinks....
NOW for the guys with stickers to chime i ...

1) What is main benefit of green sticker truck? I've heard hints that it means no smog test every two years. Is it cheaper than regular registration(~$160 for my s10)?

Yes, no smog and cheap fees. ~$40 for 2 years

2)What is main downside? I've heard not able to get normal registration without a lot of effort. I've heard minimal onroad use; basically areas around OHV area.

It's basically a quad at that point, no hwy driving at all. Going back can be hard, depending on how you do it. The one I did was considered dual registered. My street registration was non opt.

3) Is flat towing allowed? My thought is flat tow the s10 with my mid level wheeler and let my wife use one.

I highly doubt it.

4) Are green stickered trucks still insurable? My thought is high liability only.
---Rubicon specific----

Anything is insurable. You live in wildfire County, get comprehensive on everything.

Can't help you on these.

Basically, I would never advise anyone to Green sticker anything in CA. It can get really tricky depending on the areas. A little north of you, we got away with going where ever, including paved mountain roads, for years and years. Out of nowhere, they started hammering everyone, wanted us to tow 10 miles up a very rough road that we never had to before. Then come spring time, it got even more complex because the bottom of the road would be clear, but part way up, big snow drifts. The officer was a giant douche about it too.

That lasted like 2-3 years and now it's basically back to how it was, but with sxs's driving every where and the rest of us almost wishing for officer douche back.

Last I heard our friend Ken M. was moved down to s.cal, in the desert.
Yes... many many years ago after my sheriff told FS to fawk off for not acting as he expects LE in his county:lmao: I was being a wise ass on trying to find what concerns around Rubicon I might encounter if another nitpicking Marcus got in the area:homer:

Short: I've got a no-op truck I'm considering green stickering for Rubicon use(~40 mins away)

Long: I've got a no-op S10 truck and I'm trying to learn about green stickering as well what green stickering means in regards to Rubicon.

I've done some reading here:

So, long list of questions:
no smog, but also no paved roads or dirt roads that prohibit ohv

2) What is main downside? I've heard not able to get normal registration without a lot of effort. I've heard minimal onroad use; basically areas around OHV area.
maintain non-op reg and then green sticker reg, this is the "dual registered" that youll hear about, that way one day someone can take it off non op (which never happens)

the main downside is basically your truck is now a quad, you cant ride your quad on the paved roads thru a campsite, same with your truck now

only specific roads are marked as OK for ohv

not sure, sounds like its asking for you to be pulled over tho

i mean you can insure anything for enough money :laughing:

---Rubicon specific----
part of the paved road on the loon lake side, basically the chalet to the trail head, it has signage to indicate it
not sure on the tahoe side

The truck has enough issues that it isn't worth the effort to get reg/smog because I won't earn a bunch of money selling it.

just remember there are dirt roads out there that do not allow OHVs

maintain non-op reg and then green sticker reg, this is the "dual registered" that youll hear about, that way one day someone can take it off non op (which never happens)
What is there to maintain with non-op reg?

part of the paved road on the loon lake side, basically the chalet to the trail head, it has signage to indicate it
not sure on the tahoe side
Any idea on the "full" Wentworth path?

Flat towing is not allowed on a green sticker vehicle. When I had my old race truck I was told that the tires weren't allowed to touch the road at anytime.

Now my stuff is registered in south dakota because it's 100x cheaper and no smog to worry about. my non "street" legal vehicle aka won't pass smog because of fuel cell has a plate and I can drive it around town like it's no big deal.

Flat towing is not allowed on a green sticker vehicle. When I had my old race truck I was told that the tires weren't allowed to touch the road at anytime.

Now my stuff is registered in south dakota because it's 100x cheaper and no smog to worry about. my non "street" legal vehicle aka won't pass smog because of fuel cell has a plate and I can drive it around town like it's no big deal.
hey that reminds me, a smog tech guy told me a fuel cell can be smog legal if you retain the stock evap lines and blah blah blah

also +1 for south dakota/montana reg

Yeah I did an 01 ranger into a prerunner and with the returnless EFI setup I mounted the stock pump by extending the lines into the fuel cell with all stock stuff and filler neck and no check engine light and it passed smog BUT the smog guy said he wouldn't pass it next time since it didn't visually look good a big red box and him passing it.

Yeah I did an 01 ranger into a prerunner and with the returnless EFI setup I mounted the stock pump by extending the lines into the fuel cell with all stock stuff and filler neck and no check engine light and it passed smog BUT the smog guy said he wouldn't pass it next time since it didn't visually look good a big red box and him passing it.
WOOOOW thats lame

:beer: for the info

Didn't read the whole thread, But I remember on another site a guy with a detailed description on how he did dual registration, license plate and a green sticker.

If I remember right it was a Toyota pick up or 4runner, I also don't remember the advantages or disadvantages.

I know, without a link all this is just BS.

:homer:

Only benefits are reduced registration, no insurance, and supposedly the OHV money goes to OHV.

No you can’t flat tow it, but from your house to Loon I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

I’d probably even drive it.

Apologize to the Ranger with respect and I’m sure you’ll get a pass if you flat tow.

Yeah I would just register it in south dakota. My current car has south dakota plates, i've never even been to south dakota, and my title and registration from there has my santa maria, ca address as they do out of state resident vehicle registration and mail everything to you in cali. Insurance doesn't get affected since it's still registered in cali where you drive it. Shoot me a PM and i'll forward you the sheet I got from them answering questions and how to do it.

Reactions: Clb
Didn't read the whole thread, But I remember on another site a guy with a detailed description on how he did dual registration, license plate and a green sticker.

If I remember right it was a Toyota pick up or 4runner, I also don't remember the advantages or disadvantages.

I know, without a link all this is just BS.

:homer:
Andrew Marshall (AM4X4) wrote it up over there

I know very little on this (and many other things)
but I have been told, do not green sticker it if you ever want to register it again, go with dual registration.

also there are some weird roads that wont allow SOME green sticker vehicles when others are allowed
MET is that way in the winter when covered in snow
green stick is fine IF it is under 1000cc
so Jeeps Yota and buggies that are only green stickered are technically not allowed even though smaller SXS and quads are.

what I have done in the past is just non-op the vehicle and then get an nonresident OHV use permit and never had an issue. A few friends did this all the time too. Crazy because all the people that go to glamis from AZ i would bet none of them get one of these which by law you are supposed to have them.

Hey guys, whats happening. I am hoping I can get a response to this thread, regarding my YJ fuel cell install.

Yea the wall o text description of yer issue is making diagnosing this an issue!

I want to thank all of you, for your thread posting. I learned a lot. I just installed a Motobilt fuel cell, bout a month ago, and come to find out, I cannot smog it, so now, I am going dual registration. I was scrambling for help/info, regarding the situation, and found you guys, with the same issue. I dig my fuel cell, and would not change it back. Thanks again guys!, you rock.

I want to thank all of you, for your thread posting. I learned a lot. I just installed a Motobilt fuel cell, bout a month ago, and come to find out, I cannot smog it, so now, I am going dual registration. I was scrambling for help/info, regarding the situation, and found you guys, with the same issue. I dig my fuel cell, and would not change it back. Thanks again guys!, you rock.
Welcome aboard. Hope you stick around.

Thanks TTMotorsports
48525402-92B2-4F8B-9C2B-CAE7B48A3410.jpeg

Nice. I love 40 min from the Hammers and I saw an XJ on trailer with Jaz fuel cell and it had South Dakota plates but the dodge towing it was California plates. I know why the XJ has SD plates. Lol

Top Back Refresh