What's new

Economical daily 4wd?

What about a 1st gen Honda CRV with stick shift? Good on gas. Hauls the kids. Decent ground clearance. IIRC first gear is geared very low - as it doesn’t have a real transfer case with low range.

What about a 1st gen Honda CRV with stick shift? Good on gas. Hauls the kids. Decent ground clearance. IIRC first gear is geared very low - as it doesn’t have a real transfer case with low range.
Does it have a viscous coupling? The automatic ones had electronic shit that would cut in way late and cut out way early.

Picking up a super clean lower mileage tracker 4dr tomorrow honestly owned by an older lady that no longer could drive due to dementia . 2 hr 45 minute drive one way so I hope these are worth it lol

Picking up a super clean lower mileage tracker 4dr tomorrow honestly owned by an older lady that no longer could drive due to dementia . 2 hr 45 minute drive one way so I hope these are worth it lol
Drove one for 9 months, 4cly 5 spd they're great all purpose 4x4's. a 2 door tracker pickup would be tits.

I’m pretty excited about it . It has the v6 I wish I knew more about their reliability but I’m guessing they’re solid rigs .

I’m pretty excited about it . It has the v6 I wish I knew more about their reliability but I’m guessing they’re solid rigs .
Aside from common oil leaks and the #1 timing chain tensioner failing I haven't found much bad about them. I did the tensioner and guides on mine as well as the water pump and related seals while I was in there. It's not a terrible job if it needs done. Worst part is getting all the shit out of the way to remove the front chain cover.

That’s what I had read ! I was thinking about a little lift and some baby meats !

Well she was even cleaner than I could of dreamed driving her home now and other than she turns a bit more RPMs than I’m used to on the highway she’s pretty solid !

Well she was even cleaner than I could of dreamed driving her home now and other than she turns a bit more RPMs than I’m used to on the highway she’s pretty solid !
Mine has 235/70r16s on it and it still turns higher rpms than I expected.

I hope it's a champagne/brown color as all true old people cars are.

Buy whatever km3s fit stock and send it.

I hope it's a champagne/brown color as all true old people cars are.

Buy whatever km3s fit stock and send it.
It’s silver but it does have that plastic lining in the back hatch and drivers floor lol and a bag of werthers in the drivers door lol

No lift. The fronts ate into the fender liners but clearance isn't terrible otherwise. Probably should lift it though.
I wonder what cheap lift is best for just some clearance without going crazy

I wonder what cheap lift is best for just some clearance without going crazy
I really haven't looked into it. Trying to avoid that rabit hole atleast until everything else is kosher. Having only paid $400 for it I'm trying to keep it super cheap.

In a strange predicament . The tires on the tracker are 8 years old. I’d like put some mud terrains or aggressive all terrains on and possible some black steel wheels to make it not look quite so boring . 215/70/15 is the stock size and there’s hardly a tire available that isn’t highway tread . I don’t want to go up in size much if at all it is getting 23 mpg and I’m kind of loving this thing lol

I’m kicking myself for not picking up a cheap Daihatsu Rocky a few months ago after reading this.

In a strange predicament . The tires on the tracker are 8 years old. I’d like put some mud terrains or aggressive all terrains on and possible some black steel wheels to make it not look quite so boring . 215/70/15 is the stock size and there’s hardly a tire available that isn’t highway tread . I don’t want to go up in size much if at all it is getting 23 mpg and I’m kind of loving this thing lol
General Grabber AT2 225/70R15 100 S Tire

My uncle has a early/mid 00's Rav4 that he threw some stock size BFG's on and he's pretty happy with it for a DD for just running around town. Gets way better mileage than his 6.0 K2500.

I ended up going with Toyo Open country AT3’s and immediately took it to a very muddy deer camp . We took it through some very nasty trails meant for side by sides and what we thought was an impossible creek crossing and the dang tracker was unstoppable . I honestly think it was much more nimble than my XJs I had in the past and so silent and comfortable we were shocked .

Anything over 15mpg is considered economic to me, so anything that isnt rusted out or knocking with good tires.
My XJ (see my avatar) with 4.0/AX-15, 4.56 gears, locked front rear, lifted 5.5”, rolling on 35”-36” tires averaged >15 mpg on my daily commute, despite WOT on a regular basis (it’s slow). I have no idea how but it did it. Routinely went over 300 miles on its OEM 20 gallon tank.

I find that hard to believe but won’t discredit it. My first XJ ( bone stock ) got awful fuel mileage 13 or less, my second Jeep a 94 YJ got awful mileage , our 05? I think TJ got awful mileage also and my last two lifted XJs on 32s both got awful mileage . Bad enough that it was painful to go on a decent weekend cruise because they all sucked fuel that bad . The biggest downfall of the 4.0 besides the cooling system was that the tough ole dinosaur drank fuel like a big block .

This is the day I picked it up . So before tires and such I wish I had an interior shot . It had a hand sewn shoulder pad on drivers seat belt , werthers candy in door and a little trash can for the wrappers . Clear rubber mats over all the factory ones and not a stain or blemish on the interior carpet didn’t appear to of even ever been stepped on lol

Attachments

• 6E709DD7-53C0-4DE0-B65B-18C66140FA35.jpeg
    6E709DD7-53C0-4DE0-B65B-18C66140FA35.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 19ECF34B-FC97-496B-B10D-2F4B50B9AE75.jpeg
    19ECF34B-FC97-496B-B10D-2F4B50B9AE75.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 19
Under 5,000 dollars and with fuel economy in mind which economical budget 4wd would you go for? Seems to be getting tougher and tougher . Sold my daily car and am looking for a replacement can’t find much or think of much .
Just bought a 4 runner and they seem solid. Japanese design is different that us gringos but can’t argue with success.

Top Back Refresh