What's new

EC Tuner Brake

Roc Doc

2A SNBI
Member Number
Loc
Way out West.
Just received the Erik Cortina tuner brake, and will install it on the 6GT this weekend and shoot some before and after groups. The Gay Tiger group on FB is saying good things about them. Not having to fuck around with seating depth as the barrel wears appeals to me. I'm jumping my loads a good amount anyway.

0722211653.jpg
0722211653c.jpg

I don't know what kind of message Erik was trying to send, but it came in a pill bottle with two suckers. :laughing:
0722211702.jpg

How is this different from the Browning B.O.S.S. ? I see the patent pending but not much description.

How is this different from the Browning B.O.S.S. ? I see the patent pending but not much description.
I don't know what is different, but I know it works.

OK, I hope this photo isn't too confusing, but here goes; Let's number the bulleyes 1-15 with the first column 1-5, second column 6-10 and of course column three as 11-15. All groups were 5 shot, unless otherwise noted.

All shots fired were my handloads using unfired Hornady brass, Berger 109 VLD Hybrids jumped 60 thou, and 34.6g of RL16 over a CCI 450 primers.
Bull #1 was the 5-port brake that I had been using.

Bull # 2, #3 and #4 were final zeroing after deciding which tuner setting I was going to use.

Bull #6 and #8 were stray shots from some shitty pistol shooters in another bay.

Bull #7 was the first group I shot with the tuner installed and set on 0, very happy with this group, but what was really wild was the POI shift from the other brake. My POA was Bull #6, and when I measured it with my scope it came in at 1.2mils low and .2mils left. Not a problem, but very surprising to me.

Bulls, #12, 13, 14 and 15 were tuner adjustments of 2, 4, 6 and 8 respectively. With Bulls #9 and 10 using positions 10 and 12 on the tuner.

The best group was the first group (setting 0), with good results from setting 6 and 10 as well, (called flyer in group 10).

So I can categorically confirm this thing works, good work Erik Cortina.

0725210921[1].jpg

The numbered portion is threaded and moving it changes the harmonics of the barrel. You want the bullet to leave the barrel at the 0 point of the harmonic wave. You can do the same thing by changing seating depths of the bullets, but this is easier, faster and you can easily change it as the barrel wears.

The numbered portion is threaded and moving it changes the harmonics of the barrel. You want the bullet to leave the barrel at the 0 point of the harmonic wave. You can do the same thing by changing seating depths of the bullets, but this is easier, faster and you can easily change it as the barrel wears.
Ideally you want it to leave at the top of the wave, while you have dwell time during the change in direction. This gives you the longest time frame for a consistent exit.

I've found the ones that leave at the zero point. They scatter all over. High and low points will be consistent, but of course you want high for that extra few clicks of scope travel :flipoff2:

Ideally you want it to leave at the top of the wave, while you have dwell time during the change in direction. This gives you the longest time frame for a consistent exit.

I've found the ones that leave at the zero point. They scatter all over. High and low points will be consistent, but of course you want high for that extra few clicks of scope travel :flipoff2:
How do you know if where it is on the x portion of the wave. This brake dropped my POI 1.2 mils and it stayed there after I dialed in that much, never really got below the x portion except potentially the #10 setting.

How do you know if where it is on the x portion of the wave. This brake dropped my POI 1.2 mils and it stayed there after I dialed in that much, never really got below the x portion except potentially the #10 setting.

During load development I've seen ladders climb and fall. I was testing at 300 and could see 3-4" vertical wave across 6 grns of powder. The ones in the middle would be high and low, while either end would print groups consistent with their velocity ES.

I don't believe in tuners because nobody has put one in a suppressor yet :flipoff2: (I already reload everything, and I rarely change my bullet seating. Just start at .060-.080 out and they stay consistent until the barrel is close to end of life.

It's all the same though. You can make large changes with powder, small changes with seating, or use the barrel to make small changes.

I saw the EC video and it’s just like a BOSS but locks with set screws instead of a jam nut. That’s a proven system, I’ve seen them work on Brownings, but I haven’t used one.

I expect a heavy target barrel is going to be less responsive to the adjustment than a 24” hunting barrel, but your results show it does do the job.

It's all the same though. You can make large changes with powder, small changes with seating, or use the barrel to make small changes.

i would rather hit the velocity node by finding the OCW for each bullet weight im shooting and move on.

IMO, tuners are more for benchresters and rimfire guys.

Agree. In PRS we rarely shoot sub-moa targets, but that's just me geeking out on something new I haven't tried. I was only able to blame the gun for a shitty placing one time, and then I replaced the barrel and it's a laser again.

i would rather hit the velocity node by finding the OCW for each bullet weight im shooting and move on.

The PRS guys around here that use tuners set the tuner in the middle, then find charge weight, then seating depth, then lastly use the tuner to dial in the group size.

The PRS guys around here that use tuners set the tuner in the middle, then find charge weight, then seating depth, then lastly use the tuner to dial in the group size.
That makes sense.

My AMP annealer is out for delivery today. Got pilots for 6GT, 6ARC, .223 and 6.5CM. I'm gonna be busy.

That makes sense.

My AMP annealer is out for delivery today. Got pilots for 6GT, 6ARC, .223 and 6.5CM. I'm gonna be busy.

Daaannggg, tell you're rich without telling me you're rich :flipoff2:

Did you get the case feeder to go with it?

Daaannggg, tell you're rich without telling me you're rich :flipoff2:

Did you get the case feeder to go with it?
No, I ain't no Rocketfeller. I have more money than time these days, but at some point the opposite will be true and I'll have all the tools I need to keep shooting.

I'm really disappointed that a brake the gay tiger crowd likes isn't shaped more phallic. So much missed opportunity

Not to mention rainbow annodizing.

The new brass from GAP. :lmao:
im actually not that surprised the 6mm/6.5 creed crowd embraced a cartridge with "gay" in its name so easily. i guess that closet door wasnt ever really closed :flipoff2:

if only the cartridge hadn't been developed by Thomas Gay and Tony "The Tiger" Busbee, it may have gotten a more palatable and less ironic name :homer:

possibly more like a Bezos rocket ship?
If it wasn't for the $200 tax stamp it would be fun to build a supressor with 2 spherical blast chambers at the back and a bulge at the front for that final baffle.

Ok, well the $200 tax stamp and the sheer amount of machining and work to create a memecan

If it wasn't for the $200 tax stamp it would be fun to build a supressor with 2 spherical blast chambers at the back and a bulge at the front for that final baffle.

Ok, well the $200 tax stamp and the sheer amount of machining and work to create a memecan
Would you market it as a 9" suppressor when in reality it was much shorter?

Top Back Refresh