What's new

Eave gutter flashing drip edge ?

roundhouse

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Repairing some of my rotten soffits ,

Had a new roof installed a few years ago ,

They used regular flashing and not the usual drip edge flashing and notched it to fit around the gutters hanger screws

The new addition had the drip edge flashing ,

Whoops I install drip edge flashing while I have the gutters off ?
Or is the regular angle flashing suitable ?

IMG_3248.jpeg

IMG_3247.jpeg

Your roofers suck...
That said, details and better angles on pics please.

I see edge flashing used instead of drip edge.
No return out away from the wood.
So the water goes to the wood. It will save the sheathing.
That's an outside corner?
Ever clean yer gutters?
Your painting is exceptional...

Drip edge is needed at the gables if things are flush. Looks like the plywood is over hung in the one pic so not needed. The other has over hanging drip edge which is fine. Gutters don't need drip edge unless there will be exposed wood.

Either is fine as long as it puts the water in the gutter. Notching around the hangers isn't optimal but it's not really a problem either. Looks like they might have run out of fascia/rafter tails to get their brackets into.

But I also have no clue what the question is here

Reactions: Clb
If you’re pulling gutters and facia, install drip.

After installing new gutters, clean them out every 10 years instead of 20.
Ha

I cleaned them out about three months ago .

And that’s one of the sections that’s sagging so it fills up with gutter sludge in a day or two

You can see the broken facia board dangling .

Either is fine as long as it puts the water in the gutter. Notching around the hangers isn't optimal but it's not really a problem either. Looks like they might have run out of fascia/rafter tails to get their brackets into.

But I also have no clue what the question is here
Question was is the edge flashing acceptable or do i need to install the drip edge stuff while I have the gutters off ?

Your roofers suck...
That said, details and better angles on pics please.

I see edge flashing used instead of drip edge.
No return out away from the wood.
So the water goes to the wood. It will save the sheathing.
That's an outside corner?
Ever clean yer gutters?
Your painting is exceptional...
Yeah they did

The gutter contractor was supposed to arrive early and remove them , for the roofers , then repair the facia and install new gutters .

Of course they were a no show .

That’s primer ,
Gonna get a nice coat of forest green soon ,

And as you can see the next section of siding is , well it’s a mess , warped and bulging etc .

Probabaly gonna have to take it off and rehang it .

Place was built in 69-70

No idea why the origional owner painted it at all

The T-111 siding is redwood .

It ain’t pine .

Question was is the edge flashing acceptable or do i need to install the drip edge stuff while I have the gutters off ?
Drip edge is to keep the water from dripping down the wood/fascia. If your gutters inner side will be tucked behind the flashing, a drip edge is not necessary. It is however easier to tuck behind it with the drip edge type.

Not sure why this is hard to figure out. :homer:

Yeah they did

The gutter contractor was supposed to arrive early and remove them , for the roofers , then repair the facia and install new gutters .

Of course they were a no show .

That’s primer ,
Gonna get a nice coat of forest green soon ,

And as you can see the next section of siding is , well it’s a mess , warped and bulging etc .

Probabaly gonna have to take it off and rehang it .

Place was built in 69-70

No idea why the origional owner painted it at all

The T-111 siding is redwood .

It ain’t pine .
Mine is also redwood, place was built in mid60s. Pained me to paint it but there was so much damage due to sun bake and lack of maintenance. New sheets were unavailable.

Must have been cheap back in the day, even the chicken coop has redwood siding :flipoff2:

IMG_7529.jpeg

You're fine. The bottom edge of your metal is below the top of the back of the gutter. You don't need a drip edge.

Better pics?
Sux the trades are so flaky these days....
Good luck with the project

Top Back Refresh