What's new

Eastwood Mig Welders?

boy&hisdogs

GMT400 Nerd
Member Number
Loc
California
I'm looking for a mig/flux core welder for hobby use. Right now I'm renting and only have access to 115v @ 20a but I'm planning on buying a house in 2-3 years, which will have 230v one way or another.

My dad, who was a professional welder, suggested getting a multi-input machine (Miller 211 was his pick) that way I can just buy one machine, learn it like the back of my hand and keep it forever, no matter where I live or where I might need to take it. The more I think about it, the more I agree, but it's hard to stomach Miller money. I know they are worth it, but it's still a lot, especially for the 211 over something similar but 120v only like the Miller 141 or Lincoln/Hobart alternatives.

Just today I noticed Eastwood offers a new welder, the MIG 180, which is a dual input mig machine for about a third of what the Miller 211 costs. The thing is, I can't find anything about it outside of what is on the Eastwood website itself, no 3rd party reviews or 3rd party sellers. That plus the price makes it seem a little too good to be true. I know it's made in China, so that explains SOME of the price drop, but what do you guys think? Here's a link:

Do I really even need a dual input welder? I'm going to use it for all the typical stuff you would expect someone on this forum to use it for. Restoring/modifying vehicles and trailers, building BBQ's, and other random small stuff. Could I get away with a really nice 120v only machine like a Miller 141 or Hobart/Lincoln 140?

Your dad is right. Buy once, cry once. Miller consumables are easier to get. With a dual voltage machine, you won't outgrow it. I'm a professional welder/fabricator by trade and have a 211 at home. I've not yet run out of capacity with it and tackled a few heavy fab jobs with it. A 120v machine will fall short once you get above sheet metal thicknesses. Eastwood machines seem to be of decent quality, I also have one of their plasma cutters. Runs great, cuts well and hasn't let me down. But you can only source tips, collets and insulators from eastwood, and they have you over a barrel for cost, and if they change their line up..... how long will you be able to get consumables?

Your dad is right. Buy once, cry once. Miller consumables are easier to get. With a dual voltage machine, you won't outgrow it. I'm a professional welder/fabricator by trade and have a 211 at home. I've not yet run out of capacity with it and tackled a few heavy fab jobs with it. A 120v machine will fall short once you get above sheet metal thicknesses. Eastwood machines seem to be of decent quality, I also have one of their plasma cutters. Runs great, cuts well and hasn't let me down. But you can only source tips, collets and insulators from eastwood, and they have you over a barrel for cost, and if they change their line up..... how long will you be able to get consumables?

See that's one of the things I was worried about, not just the consumables but outgrowing it. All the 140 welders claim they can weld up to 5/16 and realistically that is the most I'll be using, but how well? Probably not as smooth and clean as something using 240v.

No 220 dryer outlet? I'm renting too and bought a 50ft extension cord to go from the laundry room to the dryer. Works great! Use it for the plasma cutter too.

Nope all my appliances are gas. Great for actually using for their intended purpose, but sucks not being able to steal the 220 outlet for tools. :flipoff2:

See that's one of the things I was worried about, not just the consumables but outgrowing it. All the 140 welders claim they can weld up to 5/16 and realistically that is the most I'll be using, but how well? Probably not as smooth and clean as something using 240v.
with my 140 amp machine, i'm into 1/4" for 3 passes generally, and avoid 1/4" or better most of the time. 3/16 is a comfortable and livible limit.

that said, i love being able to run it on an extension cord damn near anywere and it does all the car stuff I need. Lower links were the only thing thus far that i felt a "need" to bring in to work and use a bigger machine for. Even making 3/8" brake caliper brackets, well i laminated 1/8" to 1/4" with the 140amp and they've worked great for years

3/8" link or winch brackets to some 14 bolt axle tubes? not going to happen. otherwise, a bit more prep (beveling) and a few more passes every now and then is offset by the lower cost and higher portability. i'll keep my 140 even if i eventually end up with a 212

I would rather have a 120v flux core welder and an AC/DC tombstone than a dual voltage mix/flux welder.

Run
run far
run fast
KEEP RUNNING!
Catch my drift??

i had the spoolgun combo +- $500
They warrantied 3 "three" brand new units to me on one buy!
mine ate in or particular order
2 drive motors
3 circuit boards
At least 4 drive motor plates
The final straw was the capacitor
:flipoff:

When it worked it was fine.

Untill I ran a buddies miller...
Then I learned how bad it was:mad3:

I bought a 211 and LOVE IT.
Cry once:flipoff2:

Hell a little buzzbox lincoln ran better than the chink shit

Run
run far
run fast
KEEP RUNNING!
Catch my drift??

i had the spoolgun combo +- $500
They warrantied 3 "three" brand new units to me on one buy!
mine ate in or particular order
2 drive motors
3 circuit boards
At least 4 drive motor plates
The final straw was the capacitor
:flipoff:

When it worked it was fine.

Untill I ran a buddies miller...
Then I learned how bad it was:mad3:

I bought a 211 and LOVE IT.
Cry once:flipoff2:

Hell a little buzzbox lincoln ran better than the chink shit
:eek:

I guess I'll pass on the Eastwood then! The thing is, I learned on Millers at school, so if it's noticeably worse, even when running right, I know I won't like it. I had a maintenance job once where all we had was a HF welder, and if it wasn't so heavy it might have gotten thrown across the shop at some point :flipoff2:

with my 140 amp machine, i'm into 1/4" for 3 passes generally, and avoid 1/4" or better most of the time. 3/16 is a comfortable and livible limit.

that said, i love being able to run it on an extension cord damn near anywere and it does all the car stuff I need. Lower links were the only thing thus far that i felt a "need" to bring in to work and use a bigger machine for. Even making 3/8" brake caliper brackets, well i laminated 1/8" to 1/4" with the 140amp and they've worked great for years

3/8" link or winch brackets to some 14 bolt axle tubes? not going to happen. otherwise, a bit more prep (beveling) and a few more passes every now and then is offset by the lower cost and higher portability. i'll keep my 140 even if i eventually end up with a 212
I would rather have a 120v flux core welder and an AC/DC tombstone than a dual voltage mix/flux welder.

My grandpa left us a 220v Miller stick welder. I don't know what amperage or model but it's about the size of a mini fridge. It doesn't currently run right but if I decide to link something then that would be a good excuse to get it fixed and use it! I have way more total hours on a stick machine vs mig, but my mig welds still turn out better. :homer:

Seeing as I move often I had considered "what if I rent somewhere I don't have 230v?".. which led me to consider purchasing a generator that could handle my welder/etc, might be worth considering. Looks like a 10,000 or so watt generator can be had for around $1k

Alright well I decided to just suck it up and buy a Miller. I found a place selling the 211 with free shipping, no taxes, an auto darkening helmet, and some other small freebies.

Buy once, cry once. I've replaced enough Harbor Freight tools... :homer:

Top Back Refresh