What's new

Eastern TN resovoirs

Poke

I’m condescending
Member Number
Do any of you spend time or live on Norris, Douglas or Cherokee?

Douglas.

I have boated on it for the last 4 years or so.

Got a question?

:lmao: I have a 100 questions.

im getting serious about researching a new homestead. I’m a life long laker. looking at a water front place with land.

I’ve never been on a reservoir to boat/recreate. Those 2 res are all in the physical area I want to be in.

Boating.
  • is there a lot of lake debris or shallow spots you need to watch for?
  • What month does it get warm enough to swim
  • Are they good for water sports?
  • is the water clear or muddy/brown
  • hows the lake bottom? Can you walk out in gravel or ankle deep muck?
  • any thing you don’t like really that’s an issue?
  • Can you drive a boat close to shore or is it really shallow? I’m used. To 30’ deep 100’ off shore
  • Does the water level have big swings?
Around the lake?
  • Is it city ish or country feel
  • decent restaurant and stores?
  • dirty garbage dump redneck level like parts of WV?

I’m going to start air bnb for a week in a few places to see how we like the lake and area. I’d like to rule living on the res in or out.

im getting serious about researching a new homestead. I’m a life long laker. looking at a water front place with land.

I’ve never been on a reservoir to boat/recreate. Those 2 res are all in the physical area I want to be in.

Boating.
  • is there a lot of lake debris or shallow spots you need to watch for? Yes, I spent 2 hours digging a walnut out of my drive one evening.
  • What month does it get warm enough to swim Mid April to 1st of June for me.
  • Are they good for water sports? Yes
  • is the water clear or muddy/brown Depends on the day/weather
  • hows the lake bottom? Can you walk out in gravel or ankle deep muck? Ankle deep muck/loose shale
  • any thing you don’t like really that’s an issue? Douglas can be crowded on the dam end of the lake(Sevierville) Pretty Quiet up towards Whie Pine end.
  • Can you drive a boat close to shore or is it really shallow? I’m used. To 30’ deep 100’ off shore
  • Does the water level have big swings? Sometimes daily
Around the lake? Anything you need within 30 miutes drive. Several resuraunts on the water.
  • Is it city ish or country feel Country
  • decent restaurant and stores?
  • dirty garbage dump redneck level like parts of WV? Thats everywhere in the south east

I live near douglas.

The East TN water scene is weird. Tennesseans don't like water and it's fucking everywhere. So I think the local stuff is not that inviting. I'm from Michigan and we are water nuts. I remember swimming at the park at the quarry which was packed to turn-away in the parking lot by 11am every Saturday and Sunday from June to September. If you were not on the beach at Grand Haven by 10am on a July Saturday, you could forget getting a spot big enough for a blanket.

East Tennesseans spend an enormous amount of houseboats and ski boats, and I think they may have some of the best waterskiers in the world. But overall the reservoirs and rivers are forbodeing and uninviting. The water is full of iron from the mountains and tannic acid from the trees. The reservoirs are creepy and disturbing underneath, there are skeletons of trees, buildings, and people down there.

The Appalachian mountains are secret and dark. They have granite vaults that may yet contain the last few Troglodytes from the olden times. The hollers and valleys are hidden and quiet.

Now if you like the quiet, dark part of the Appalachians then you know I know what I'm talking about. It is not water territory though I would definitely think of retiring there. But it's univiting for kids and families. It is. Otherwise the Dollywood stuff would not survive, you have to drive PAST the water to get to the tourist trap.

Dells are the same way. The Dells are some of the greatest formations on Earth, and I've seen a sizeable portion of it. However they don't apply well to summer swimming fun, although Wisconsinites are way more into water than Tennesseans. But the Dells are dark and secret like East TN. They are an amazing place to live that doesn't translate as well to brochures as the Front Range or maybe Coral Gables.

The East TN water scene is weird. Tennesseans don't like water and it's fucking everywhere. So I think the local stuff is not that inviting. I'm from Michigan and we are water nuts. I remember swimming at the park at the quarry which was packed to turn-away in the parking lot by 11am every Saturday and Sunday from June to September. If you were not on the beach at Grand Haven by 10am on a July Saturday, you could forget getting a spot big enough for a blanket.

East Tennesseans spend an enormous amount of houseboats and ski boats, and I think they may have some of the best waterskiers in the world. But overall the reservoirs and rivers are forbodeing and uninviting. The water is full of iron from the mountains and tannic acid from the trees. The reservoirs are creepy and disturbing underneath, there are skeletons of trees, buildings, and people down there.

The Appalachian mountains are secret and dark. They have granite vaults that may yet contain the last few Troglodytes from the olden times. The hollers and valleys are hidden and quiet.

Now if you like the quiet, dark part of the Appalachians then you know I know what I'm talking about. It is not water territory though I would definitely think of retiring there. But it's univiting for kids and families. It is. Otherwise the Dollywood stuff would not survive, you have to drive PAST the water to get to the tourist trap.

Dells are the same way. The Dells are some of the greatest formations on Earth, and I've seen a sizeable portion of it. However they don't apply well to summer swimming fun, although Wisconsinites are way more into water than Tennesseans. But the Dells are dark and secret like East TN. They are an amazing place to live that doesn't translate as well to brochures as the Front Range or maybe Coral Gables.

I am not reading that and have decided if you needed to pipe up in my thread, you needed to get blocked...

FREEDOM AT LAST!

Boating.
  • is there a lot of lake debris or shallow spots you need to watch for? Logs / branches but they are easy to see and have never been a problem.
  • What month does it get warm enough to swim - April
  • Are they good for water sports? - Yes, very good
  • is the water clear or muddy/brown - clear
  • hows the lake bottom? Can you walk out in gravel or ankle deep muck? - It is a shale bottom
  • any thing you don’t like really that’s an issue? - Only that the level is dam controlled so there have been a few times that I drove out to the lake but it was too low to use, this is normally due to late season warm weather. I have since found an app for my phone that tells me the water level.
  • Can you drive a boat close to shore or is it really shallow? I’m used. To 30’ deep 100’ off shore - it is shallow near the shore.
  • Does the water level have big swings? - Just off / on season. During season I find it to me pretty steady unless bad drought (which I have not seen)
Around the lake?
  • Is it city ish or country feel - Country feel, I love it. Moving to Douglas Lake is the only move I would consider. I look at houses there all the time.
  • decent restaurant and stores? - Plenty of stores, couple of restaurants. Angelos on the Point is pretty cool during season, boat dock and live music during the day.
  • dirty garbage dump redneck level like parts of WV? - Not too bad but I do always pick up beer cans when i go out.

I have a jet drive boat. What I like doing is I have found a Cove I really like. I have even hidden a grill great there and cook lunch most days.

So I launch, drive around the lake for a bit. Then go to my spot where I swim, grill, listen to a bluetooth speaker and hang out for hours.

I have a jet drive boat. What I like doing is I have found a Cove I really like. I have even hidden a grill great there and cook lunch most days.

So I launch, drive around the lake for a bit. Then go to my spot where I swim, grill, listen to a bluetooth speaker and hang out for hours.

Any pics of the landscape you can share?

Why Douglass over the other 2 res?

Life long laker/boater here as well, always on Norris. All three lakes you mentioned are reservoirs built for flood control downstream with hydro-electric power generation as a by product. Readers digest version of the lakes.

Douglas: second best lake in the area, but I have never been wet or floated a boat there. Large swings in the levels on an annual basis, decent fishing, steep rocky banks some mud

Cherokee: The water always seems to be muddy, drastic swings in the levels decent fishing more shallow areas hidden points sticking up
Norris: My pick of water, but it's home. Least drastic swings in depth usually<30', but every other year or so we hear they are going to drop the water all the way down to the second dam to inspect the main one but that's never happened. Water is very clear usually. Lots of trash during the spring fill up. Typically pretty deep water with steep banks you can usually pull the boat right up to the shore/bank but walking on the land might be questionable most waterfront houses have walkways with staircases built in to get to the water. Most marinas have restaurants on the water

All the lakes are in rural areas you'll have to drive through some shit to get to any of them but it's not terrible. They were all built by flooding valleys, there are hidden ridges and rocky points in all of them. Depending on what part of what lake you will be 20min to an hour from most anything you would need

Generally swimming by mid May through September/October

​​​​​​TO bad Norris is full go somewhere else

Life long laker/boater here as well, always on Norris. All three lakes you mentioned are reservoirs built for flood control downstream with hydro-electric power generation as a by product. Readers digest version of the lakes.

Douglas: second best lake in the area, but I have never been wet or floated a boat there. Large swings in the levels on an annual basis, decent fishing, steep rocky banks some mud

Cherokee: The water always seems to be muddy, drastic swings in the levels decent fishing more shallow areas hidden points sticking up
Norris: My pick of water, but it's home. Least drastic swings in depth usually<30', but every other year or so we hear they are going to drop the water all the way down to the second dam to inspect the main one but that's never happened. Water is very clear usually. Lots of trash during the spring fill up. Typically pretty deep water with steep banks you can usually pull the boat right up to the shore/bank but walking on the land might be questionable most waterfront houses have walkways with staircases built in to get to the water. Most marinas have restaurants on the water

All the lakes are in rural areas you'll have to drive through some shit to get to any of them but it's not terrible. They were all built by flooding valleys, there are hidden ridges and rocky points in all of them. Depending on what part of what lake you will be 20min to an hour from most anything you would need

Generally swimming by mid May through September/October

​​​​​​TO bad Norris is full go somewhere else

Nice! How does one deal with the water level changing if you have a dock? How far to knoxville airport?

Thank you and I'm coming anyway... there are few places I'm looking at on Norris.

He likes Douglas because it's the closest to where he lives, I like Norris because it's closer to where I live. If I were new to the area I wouldn't drive past one to get to the other, but like I said Norris is home to me I've been there every summer for almost 40 years.

Do the 3 Resovoirs have reputations? Which one is the nice one and why? Which one should I avoid buying a house on?

I would cross Cherokee Lake right off.

There is no reason to live in the Morristown area, seriously.

The 2 you should look into is Norris and Douglas.

As much as it pains me as I love this area I live in so much, I would recommend Norris Lake.

There is more to do there, more restaurants, camping, events.

Plus you are right in the TWRA land area which is the biggest off road use area around.

Plus Knoxville has more of everything vs here that is tourist based.

You could live at Norris, boat one day, jump in your street legal SXS the next day and hit the 250,000 acres of trails.

They just adjust the Cables to position them on the bank they are all floating docks. it's kind of a pain in the ass
minimum of 1 hr drive to the airport

What's the zip codes for what you are looking at

He likes Douglas because it's the closest to where he lives, I like Norris because it's closer to where I live. If I were new to the area I wouldn't drive past one to get to the other, but like I said Norris is home to me I've been there every summer for almost 40 years.

Is high speed reliable internet readily available?

The wife and I really appreciate this guys. We have been googling and reading for these answers for months.

50196291_1070744823109780_8854860230790479872_n.jpg
50280366_1070744899776439_2715163489990606848_n.jpg
49947718_1070745009776428_2577875749432197120_n.jpg
49998225_1070744939776435_2487831867445739520_n.jpg

The being able to boat in the morning and sxs in the afternoon puts you on the north side of the lake near lafolette

They just adjust the Cables to position them on the bank they are all floating docks. it's kind of a pain in the ass
minimum of 1 hr drive to the airport

What's the zip codes for what you are looking at

I dont know. We are looking for 50-300 acres on the water. I am a big deer and turkey hunter, but with all the land around the area... is it publicly huntable?

Last edited:
We have a houseboat and have cable internet and it seems most marinas do. I would guess it would be hit or miss knowing the areas. Cell signal can be spotty as well

When the water level is up I can throw a rock into norris from my back yard. I know because I did that one time....that's about the extent I care about having the lake in my back yard...:flipoff2:

The problem with norris is in the summer its filled with idiot Yankees that are either clueless or simply do not give a shit. Was asked once when was the best time to be on the lake...answer, when all of you leave.

A guy from ohio moved in next to me...had a boat and loved the lake. After the first year he said he wished the damn Yankees would stay up there...I offered him a beer :lmao:

There are a couple wildlife management areas in close proximity to the lake l, one in particular, Chuck Swan, is surrounded on three sides it's drawn hunts only for big game but small game is open in season and all the tva land is public.

That much land waterfront is going to put you in the no internet and 2hr from the airport territory. I might know where there's 140ish acres with 800ft of waterfront that's not on the market, but could be for sale. Pm for more details

When the water level is up I can throw a rock into norris from my back yard. I know because I did that one time....that's about the extent I care about having the lake in my back yard...:flipoff2:

The problem with norris is in the summer its filled with idiot Yankees that are either clueless or simply do not give a shit. Was asked once when was the best time to be on the lake...answer, when all of you leave.

A guy from ohio moved in next to me...had a boat and loved the lake. After the first year he said he wished the damn Yankees would stay up there...I offered him a beer :lmao:

All destination lakes have that problem. Around here we call them Weekend Warriors, they show up with no clue and do the dumbest things.

All destination lakes have that problem. Around here we call them Weekend Warriors, they show up with no clue and do the dumbest things.

All destination towns as well... Fucking flatlanders wont leave us alone. Although during the rona it was kinda funny to watch how “dad” was going to save his family from the Rona and camp in the woods. Longest one I heard of before tap out was just over a week:lmao: Also when they all rolled into town with zero supplies it had to be grea for the grocery store and well as the sporting goods place. The bar did takeout for them about 50% of the time...

How was the Rona influx out there:lmao:

All destination towns as well... Fucking flatlanders wont leave us alone. Although during the rona it was kinda funny to watch how “dad” was going to save his family from the Rona and camp in the woods. Longest one I heard of before tap out was just over a week:lmao: Also when they all rolled into town with zero supplies it had to be grea for the grocery store and well as the sporting goods place. The bar did takeout for them about 50% of the time...

How was the Rona influx out there:lmao:

The city people flooded the Finger Lakes to stay at their vacation homes and didn't leave all winter. Good for the local businesses. Everyone stated to themselves, no real issue.

When I hunted Grouse in Maine in Sept, I called the local Game Warden to make sure I knew the rules and regs. She told me to carry a handgun because the deep woods of Maine had weird characters trying to live off the land scattered about running from Covid. She said the 2 legged infiltrators were all I needed to watch our for.

Top Back Refresh